Poltergeist Remake

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

From www.filmstalker.co.uk:

Poltergeist Remake Confirmed?!

Talk of a Poltergeist remake, sequel or prequel has been heard before, but rumour today has it that it's going ahead, and it's decided to be a frame by frame remake without the original cast.

Poltergeist was a cracking film and pretty damn creepy. It was made by a now seemingly bizarre collaboration of Steven Spielberg (he who denounces TV programmes for violence, etc and saw this re-rated from an R to a PG) and Tobe Hooper. Rumour has creeping around for sometime that the script entitled Poltergeist Kayeri was to be made, but this news from Bloody Disgusting through AITH puts pay to that.

I've just received official confirmation that the original idea for "Kayeri" will NOT be used for the remake, instead the new film will be a straight-up remake of the first film... pretty much frame-for-frame. Just think Hills Have Eyes...

Although Clint Morris did write the original "Poltergeist Kayeri", it's not believed he is part of the new project.

In addition, I can also confirm that Zelda Rubinstein, Craig T. Nelson and JoBeth Williams will not be part of the remake.

Frankly I think this stinks. A frame by frame remake is perhaps the worse news we could have expected, and it pains me to try and think what they could possibly see in this other than raping the original story to bring to a new generation who haven't seen it, add buckets of gore and horror, and try and cash in. Oh, hey, slap it onto Michael Bay and let's see it made in the style of all these other recent horror remakes with fast cuts and MTV styling, that'll really make a cash cow.

However, there perhaps may be some redemption. The Hills Have Eyes (review) was superbly done and managed to totally scare the pants off me. Perhaps they could do it, and do it well. It depends on who gets handed the production and direction. Remember frame by frame remake doesn't actually turn out that way, so there could be scope for things to go well or the same way as so many horror remakes of late.

2. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I choose to laugh.

3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Yet another pointless remake!

4. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

The curse of Poltergeist continues....

5. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

I would rather have seen another sequel.

6. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Hmmm, this is one of my favorite films. If it takes a remake to have Warner's release a SE of it, then so be it. The current DVD is no way to treat a classic like Poltergeist.

That said, I think it's an awful idea. I shudder to think who they'll cast as the family. I shudder to think who'll have to score the film in the shadow of Goldsmith. I guess it could end up being good, but I'm not hopeful.

7. rijir

rijir Member

I think I am going to make a film that makes fun of studios for just doing remakes. I'll call it "Oh Shit Not Another Remake!". The only problem is a studio will probably remake it before I can even get it released.

Has anyone noticed that studios are trying to call their remakes "companion pieces" now? The Thing remake is a "companion piece". What the hell is that supposed to mean other than it is a remake? Unless they are going to tell the story from the "Thing's" perspective it is just a remake to me.

I wonder how long before the Citizen Cane remake comes out with an all teen cast with quick MTV cuts and Matrix special effects?

8. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

We really do need a bells & whistles SE of the original Poltergeist. Sometime last year I read excerpts of an online chat with Warner Brothers on The Digital Bits. One of the WB crew said that a two disc edition was planned for 2007, which would coincide with the 25th anniversary of the film.

I fear Lindsay Lohan or Hillary Duff will be playing one of the daughters. The horror! :nervous:

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Kinda shocked Steven Spielberg would allow this.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

MTV style filmmaking doing Orson Welles? I would not rule it out... :eek1:

11. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

Wasn't Dunn mentioned as a possibility for the Carolann role in the rumored sequel? I could actually see that working.

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I had not heard about Hillary Duff in a rumored sequel. Now that I'm thinking more about it, when you consider just how youth obsessed Hollywood is these days, my casting speculation has changed. Hillary Duff would probably play the mother and Macaulay Culkin would be cast as the father in the Poltergeist remake.

13. Personally, no Heather O'Rourke, no sequel....

I like the idea of a remake...it can't be any worse than Poltergeist III

14. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

Damn!!! That N key is awfully close to the F key (NOT!!) Sorry for the typo but thanks for knowing what I really meant!

15. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I won't be seeing it, unless they cast Zelda Rubinstein as Tangina again. Then I will be the first in line. But no Zelda, no sale. ;)

16. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I actually agree. The only thing that would make me interested in seeing this would be the casting of Zelda Rubinstein.

17. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

If it's really a shot for shot remake then I'm not really interested. I've seen the original. Don't need it to look glossy and have different actors. If it's a remake, but in someone else's vision of the story then I'd give it a chance.

18. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Excellent idea in principle. The original film is wildly overhyped though. Since the film hasn't been loaded into the camera I'll hold off saying it's great or pointless. A frame by frame remake should be renamed a "Retread", and as such, it doesn't bode well.

19. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I disagree. I saw it long before I knew much about films in general, let alone horror films. I knew no one who'd seen it before and didn't know a thing about it other than there was a girl and a TV and presumably some ghosts (this I learned from the cover of videotape).

For some reason, this film passed into obscurity in my country. I know very few adults who saw it upon release and even fewer people my age who even know about it.

So if anything, Poltergeist was a discovery for me rather than something I was hyped into seeing. And still, it remains one of my all time favorites. So I don't buy into it being over-hyped, or at least I don't buy that it doesn't work because of hype.

20. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Is there any way to petition for a ban against all these remakes- like maybe just a 5 year period at least with no remakes allowed? I am so sick of every other movie coming out being a remake or ripoff or prequal or reimaging...blah!