Poltergeist Remake

Discussion in 'General' started by Agent Z, Nov 28, 2006.

1. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Well to be fair, it probably passed into obscurity in your country cause everyone was out hunting Puffins to eat. :p

I agree though. When I first saw it, I don't recall any hype I just remember watching it with no preconceived notions and loving it (and being a wee bit scared by it). But then again I was still fairly young when it came out so maybe there was a lot of hype and I just didn't notice it.

2. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

I ran in the UK in a blaze of publicity. It's also been overhyped since, since I'm not a big fan of this film. It's a merely "okay", imo. It's certainly not something I'd want to own on DVD.

3. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i only remember this film because i read a MAD satire in a MAD magazine when i was a kid

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

PaltryGuise! :D

5. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

LOL, i still have that MAD mag too.. it's at my parent's place somewhere

6. Luna

Luna Guest

Haha, I remember that!

7. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

I saw it again back in October on TCM....sadly, it hadn't aged well. I would be interested in a remake if they go off into their own direction. I can't stand remakes that have the exact same story as the original.

8. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I personally think it's aged quite well. Of course I watch it semi-regularly so it would've aged right along with me.

9. studio1

studio1 Member

Not from what I can remember it didn't? - I saw it when it was released and there was no publicity whatsover.

10. dwatts

dwatts Active Member

Well, I recall something VERY different. All the usual stories in the press about peoples "real" experiences and so on. It got a lot of publicity at the time.

11. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

When I saw it in October I got the feeling I did when I watch an old movie with special effects that just don't look all that convincing anymore. I just have to tell myself, "Well, it was the state of the art at the time..." The clown still worked pretty darned good, though! I just didn't care for a lot of the ghost effects. Anything that was physical [the clown, the dead bodies, the guy ripping his face apart] still looked good, but anything unearthly just looked like a cartoon.

I don't feel this way about all special effects in older movies, though....a lot of the Harryhausen stuff still looks really convincing.

12. studio1

studio1 Member

Like I say, I don't recall any hype about Poltergeist, I went with my girlfriend at the time, and we hadn't heard any publicity - I definately would have remembered if there had been, as I certainly remember all the hype surrounding the exorcist, clockwork orange straw dogs etc.

No big deal though, I still like it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  13. This remake business is so sad and stupid. If it is not even a direct remake, why taint the name of the original? Senseless muck.