Poor goat! (... watched Lenzi's Man from Deep River)

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by Crystal Plumage, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Watched Deep River Savages/(the) Man from (the) Deep River yesterday. I have the Shock DVD (R2).
    And while I was prepared for some animal cruelty, I was really disturbed by the killing of the goat near the end.

The movie itself was pretty OK in my book though. Direction was typically Lenzi. Some really great shots, compareable to some in Spasmo for example which I revisited last week. Is it me or did Lenzi watch a lot of Leone?

Anyway, I even think the animal cruelty in this film was there for a reason. I won't say I agree with what they did but I see what they were trying to achieve. Sorta.

But man, that goat. Poor thing. Very nasty and frankly the worst case of animal cruelty I have seen in a cannibal movie.

2. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

strangely enough on of the most boring movies i have ever seen, but i also believe of all the Italian cannibal movies, it has the most animal cruelty? on the other hand, slicing the throat of a goat, doesn't that happen on farms too for their meat? it's a fine line between acceptability and immorality, but i have to admit, that's a nasty scene

BTW and a bit off topic : just recently watched the Mya DVD of 'Legend of The Blood Castle' (mediocre DVD, no subs for Italian/Spanish tracks, so-so image and extra's, not so great a film either) and this one has 2 scenes of animal cruelty too (being a young bird being pecked/eaten by a hawk and a scene where a living bat is tied against a wall and sort-of poked with a burning torch by a group of children, squeaking its head off)

a not so nice surprise i must say

3. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Sure, I have seen more goats having their throats slit (not in real life luckily). I was prepared for that actually. But this one was very nasty.

There's also some animal cruelty in Castle of Blood. A scene with a snake.

4. Blastfighter

Blastfighter New Member

Yeah i really think scenes like this are really out of order. I think the turtle scene in Holocaust takes some beating though. Although know what you mean about the goat. Scenes like this spoil these films, which are so entertaining otherwise. I personally have no problems with any extreme violence, providing its fake.

:fucked:

5. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

This is only $8.12 on Amazon. This is the Raro release.