Possible Halloween: 35th Anniversary blu-ray forthcoming?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mikey Horror, Jun 6, 2013.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I saw a true, theatrical print in San Francisco before the THX DVD out and I do remember looking at some nice blue night scenes. Also loved the sound of Laurie's shoes clomping sound as she stumbled from the killer in many scenes.

On a side note, I remember both of my parents commenting how badly Laurie's lawn was kept when we first watched the VHS in 1983.
    Good times!

2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Anything is possible. And if getting this right, or as close to right as possible, isn't interesting, important, or worthwhile enough for you to immerse yourself in all the details, I completely understand. But this is a holy grail film for a lot of people, me included. I've wasted countless hours trying to sift through all of the available evidence that's out there because I would REALLY like to know how this film originally looked. And from that point of reference I want to see the best possible home video version.

Although it may seem maladjusted and obsessive/compulsive to devote so much time to this pursuit, that's a matter of opinion. I don't pontificate about Halloween's color timing out of a sense of need, duty, or obligation. It's a passion of mine. I enjoy it.

And the answer IS out there. We may not find it. This may never be definitively resolved. But caring about the original look of the film doesn't make anyone TOO NITPICKY--just more interested in this film than you.

To each their own obsessions, correct?

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Maybe. Up to a point. But I tend to think that when a person begins to care about a project more than the people that were actively involved in it and that created it, that it becomes a sign of mental illness.

4. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Don't mind maybrick, I'm pretty sure he's going through Menopause or his estrogen is low or something,... I'm still trying to figure out what his problem is.

I for one find this thread extremely interesting and informative...its a fantastic read. I think the drive for the perfect viewing experience is not only warranted, but it is essential for a film such as HalloweeN. I mean, its one of the elite horror masterpieces. It's not fucking Killdozer or The Video Dead....this is the one, the only, the classic...HalloweeN for crying out loud!

5. shape22

Ha. If we want to start psycho-analyzing each other the search function will be very helpful.

Unfortunately the fans do care more about this film than the people who created it. We agree 100% on that.

6. shape22

Much appreciated Chomp. Maybrick is good with me. He just lacks the endurance to properly obsess about Carpenter's masterpiece like us. Maybe a vitamin deficiency?

7. maybrick

:lol: honestly, my problem comes with advanced age. The older that I get, the less I care about such trivialities. I love Halloween to death, but even if the color isn't quite right, any of the releases of the last 15 years likely look way better than any print you could have seen in a 70s movie theater after opening night once they've been damaged by dirty projectors and passed from theater to theater after theater. If the day shots are not as orange as expected, it is certainly a mild disappointment, but it isn't quite the catastrophe a lot of folks are making it out to be.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

9. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

I'm most familiar with the Media VHS, which I soon put out to pasture when Anchor Bay's letterbox cassette came out. Then of course the 1999 DVD was my most common playing presentation (I skipped over the 25th anniversary release at the time). As with practically everyone on these boards, I'm quite aware of all the slight and substantial color emphasis changes between various releases, but the 2007 blu (IMO) tends to be the best of both worlds between the 1999 and 25th anniversary releases. The greens and daylight scenes in particular are spectacular on 2007 bluray... But this new 35th edition saps that right out. It's almost like watching SUSPIRIA in B&W.

Maybe the heightened blues, oranges and yellows weren't origionally timed into the transfer... They're still somewhat present on the new 35th... But just now feel deminished like its lacking something. Maybe it's just personal preference, but I should have listened to my original feelings when I first saw the 35ths screenshots... They're drab and boring. HALLOWEEN now looks like a modern film which is rediculous.

10. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

Maybe someone should just start a poll. Halloween THX vs New Blu-ray. Seems like these are the two best versions. I guess the site will have a review soon. The new Blu-ray looks good to me except for the outdoor scenes. But I'm not sure of those. Many are saying that too bright and colorful is too much like California.

11. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That's not it. The problem is being a fellow New Englander. :) We haven't even had Halloween the last two years due to the weather.

12. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

iam fine with the new one. its all I need...

13. maybrick

YOU'RE RIGHT!! :lol:

Well, actually, I don't remember last Halloween being too bad, but maybe that is because I was just happy that we didn't have snow like we did the year before. That was just bullshit.

14. shape22

I had a feeling you were up on all of this stuff, which I was I asked. Your perspective is completely different than mine, which I find very interesting. I can't even watch the 2007 Blu-ray due to the lack of night-time blues. That's where the atmosphere is crippled for me. My main focus has always been the hue of the visible colors. But it certainly appears that the AMOUNT of color saturation is having a bigger effect on you.

There's no doubt that the 2007 Blu has more color overall than the new one. But the bulk of those colors are vastly different from the THX release. It didn't occur to me that some might prefer more color, even if it's completely different, as opposed to more muted colors in line with the THX edition. Thanks for your thorough explanation.

Truthfully I think a poll would skew strongly to the 35th Anniversary Blu. Even as a THX fundamentalist I can't justify choosing a DVD authored in 1999 over the new Blu-ray. During most of the film the colors are similar enough to the THX DVD that I can't imagine the majority of people going with the THX DVD anymore.

But if the demand is there I'll put up another poll: THX DVD, 2007 Blu, or 35th Anniversary Blu.

15. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    This whole thing is kind of ridiculous. I'm not sure if anyone will be happy with any edition. The first time I bought Halloween was the 2 disc Anchor Bay DVD and I LOVE that edition. Before that, I had a VHS dub. I didn't buy the first Blu-Ray because of all the complaining on color, even when it dropped down to $10, but the first time I read a positive review on the new Blu-Ray, I ran out and grabbed it. I can't wait to watch it!! It'll be my 13 year old son's first time seeing it with me this Halloween!

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

How cool is that??? :banana:

Of course, when he's your age and they are still tinkering with the picture, he'll refer back to this edition as the Real Deal. Ha! I hope it's a good one!

17. thing

thing Well-Known Member

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Great read shape! I am excited to dive into this Blu, as I held off grabbing the last one even though it is one of my favourite films, when I saw the blues were for the most part removed. Having the trees look more green than yellow I can deal with, but the blues removed are too much. As hard as it has been, I am waiting until it's a little closer to Halloween to check this disc out, and seeing as how I never grabbed the last disc I'm sure I will be stunned by all the detail. I can't wait!

19. shape22

My pleasure! And your thinking mirrors mine on both the transfer and the time line. I watched the scenes I described but didn't watch the bulk of the film. It's too early.

I'll be very interested in your thoughts on the transfer. I think you'll enjoy it overall.

20. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Exclusive: Dean Cundey Reflects on Halloween and His Career, Talks New Transfer and More