Possible Halloween: 35th Anniversary blu-ray forthcoming?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mikey Horror, Jun 6, 2013.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

2. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I like the new release . if you want the old. you got the THX and the old blu ray. but I like this one...

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

So any official word if the UK Steelbook release will be region free or region locked?

4. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Nothing official yet. The US release was Region A only, so I'd presume the UK release will probably be locked to Region B.

5. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I don't understand why they'd lock the releases when they're both being released by Anchor Bay.

~Matt

6. cjg

cjg Active Member

Target has it for $16.99

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Did you happen to see this in a physical store, or is it just online?

8. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Just wanted to mention that I do a film series and last night we ran an original 35mm pint of Halloween along with Halloween II and the color timing was alot closer to the new blu ray release than the 1999 THX dvd.

9. cjg

cjg Active Member

It was at the store, temporary price cut. Bought it yesterday.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yeah, and the local one has intentionally damaged every last one of them by cramming them into plastic anti-theft boxes that aren't wide enough. What a bunch of idiots!

11. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

:lol: Of course. I'll have to check tomorrow.

12. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I have seen a non-digibook version at Wal-mart. It has the same cover art and special features listed, but comes in a standard blue amaray case. I would like to know if it comes with a booklet reprinting the digibook content, and if the mono audio has been fixed.

Just like with The Evil Dead, AB wasn't fucking around when they said the digibook was a limited edition.

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Folks over on blu-ray dot com are saying it does have a booklet with the same content as the digibook. I can't say either way as I haven't seen one at all, much less opened. Not sure how limited the book is, it's still all any store around here has. Even weirder is every store around here does carry it!

14. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I decided on the normal Blu-ray book release. I just saw the UK Steelbook on the Blu-ray forum and youtube. No interior artwork. That really bugs me and strikes me of laziness. The booklet information is the same as the US Blu-ray book too. So you are paying premium for the steelbook image. There are a bunch of horror art shows coming up. One is tonight. There are sure to be some good Halloween images there. Plus I recall a limited poster and t-shirt release with the Blu-ray. Or one could just get the original poster. There are tons of other options over importing the UK version.

15. Werewolf Vixen

Werewolf Vixen New Member

I don't mind the 'book' packaging, since while the disc was tough to get out the first time. It's pretty simple after that, and the disc isn't scuffed up so far. I did have issues with the audio however, and wasn't a fan of the 7.1 mix, and preferred the mono mix(once the volume was cranked to the max), except for the first 10 minutes or so where it sounds awful in the dialogue department. After that, it was tolerable and the music packed more punch for example over the 7.1 mix. I wish it was the original mono though and uncompressed, which would sound more awesome.

The mono mix is certainly not a 'down-mix' of the 7.1 track despite what some people claim. Their are some obvious differences between the tracks, and the music is just one example. If the way the music sounds in the 7.1 mix was down-mixed to mono. It certainly would not sound like it does in this mono mix.

16. Zollman

Zollman New Member

Sorry, it's a down mix with automated dynamic range compession.
    Thats why the music sounds weird. But yeah, it's the 1999 Chance mix forced into one channel.

17. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

It's definitely a down-mix of either the 5.1 or 7.1 remixes. The extra thunder strikes are present in the night-time Smith's Grove scene. And the stinger sound in Annie's death scene is the incorrect one that was introduced with the 1999 5.1 remix. These elements were never part of the original mono mix. The fact that they're part of the new "mono" mix is proof that the track was derived from one of the two DVD-era remixes.

And at the risk of sounding like a calibration Nazi, I have to question your setup if the "mono" track sounds better than the 7.1 mix. The "mono" mix is presented with a much lower bit-rate and much weaker LFE activity. Do you have a 5.1 or better speaker configuration? Is your receiver capable of outputting true lossless sound? And are you sure your BLu-ray player or receiver doesn't have dynamic range compression enabled? The 7.1 soundtrack is far more dynamic across the board. But it's especially superior when it comes to the music and the thunderstorm scene. You should hear a huge difference in subwoofer activity during those moments.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

19. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

One day we'll get a big box set of all the Halloween movies. They usually release stuff like that in Japan, Germany, and France.

20. Zollman

Zollman New Member

the 5.1 mix and 7.1 mix are fundamentally the same.
    The only difference being that the back left and right channels split the same info with the left and right surround channels.

I did some A/B tests and you'd never know there was a difference from the seating position.