Possible Halloween: 35th Anniversary blu-ray forthcoming?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mikey Horror, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

To answer my own questions: I picked up two more copies as gifts for my brother and parents. I got my bro the digibook, as he's a collector like me (at least when it comes to Myers). For my parents, I got the amaray case. It does include a reprint of the digibook content, in smaller booklet form. The mono track has not been fixed.

2. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Only way we might know how original the color timing is, is look at the very first video incarnation of Halloween. and compare, doubt they would mess with the color timing back in 1980. they would just release it as is , at that given time. then we would have a better idea of what it looked like...

3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

This is unfortunately not true. VHS masters from that era are notorious for massive contrast boosting and other anomalies. And they were often transferred from inferior elements. Even film prints from this era are largely unreliable. Dye-transfer prints are renowned for their ability to retain their colors over extended periods of time. But apparently no dye-transfer prints of Halloween exist. And per American Cinematographer magazine (cited here in Wikipedia), "improperly stored monopack color film from before 1983 can incur a 30% image loss in as little as 25 years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_motion_picture_film#How_modern_color_film_works

Different film stocks are also very prevalent to color shifting over time. See the "glossary of film stock types" here:

http://www.afana.org/preservation.htm

Since no dye elements are said to exist the original look of Halloween will always be subject to debate. And Cundey's shifting stance has definitely muddied the waters even more.

I don't know what odds I have of getting a response. But I contacted Bill Lustig through his Facebook page to see if he'd like to weigh in personally on the level of Cundey's participation in the 1999 THX color timing. I'll let you guys know if I get a response.

4. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

and since Halloween last showed in theaters around October of 1980, theres no way anyone can really remember the color timing, unless we get a time machine. wouldn't that be nice...

5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I'm starting to remember movies I saw in theaters and I didn't even know what color timing meant back then. Nor enough to really notice. I wasn't lucky enough to see Halloween but I saw Predator.

6. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah sorry nobody remembers exactly what a movie looked like in theaters 35 years ago. That's such a load of bs and not at all credible when discussing how a film should "look".

~Matt

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

And yet the debate rages on..... :eek2:

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

And even if you could get the blu ray to look precisely as it did in the theaters 35 years ago, it would NEVER look precisely as it did in theaters 35 years ago because there are a variety of factors that have nothing to do with the print itself because every theater is different. A rough approximation is all anybody should ever expect.

9. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Where are Doc and McFly when you need them? Why wasn't I keeping color notes about the films I saw when young? It's just so obvious looking back that this would happen!;)

I've avoided all discussions on color-timing for this (besides some old bitch about no blue posts for the 25th). Watched the other night and it looks the best I have ever seen. If that makes me stupid, then I'm blissful. I will point out that I have owned this on every format from VHS to BD, and the 25th is the one I never did get. I got a dub of the bonus features disc from the library, but couldn't stand the colors [or lack thereof] of that transfer, so I watched it and went back to the THX dvd until now.

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Hell, I'm probably the biggest nitpicker of all when it comes to this film. But I concur. I still prefer the colors of the THX DVD. But the bulk of the film looks similar on the 35th Blu--with an enormous improvement in resolution. The pluses of the THX edition no longer outweigh the minuses.

I have a feeling I'll eventually rip the 35th transfer and re-time the day scenes myself. But I don't feel up to that project right now.

11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Target has these on sale starting today for $14.99. I couldn't pass it up.

12. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Shit, last week I picked it up for $16.99- didn't think it would get any lower than that

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Amazon is down to $14.99 as well, but since they started charging tax in GA...

14. Christy

Christy Member

I picked up the digibook version as well myself. I notice allot of stores carrying this in a regular blu ray case.

15. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I'm 100% positive I didn't know what film grain was either. I think unless the person watching whatever movie was a cinematographer or studying cinematography and taking notes then you really can't trust their memory.

16. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I have the digibook as well and think it is actually pretty cool - I just wish they had used a different cover like the uk steelbook cover

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh shit that would be interesting to see.

~Matt

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Currently $9.99 at Best Buy.

Wanna laugh? This is the first time I'm considering a purchase of the original Halloween in ANY format.

19. killit

killit Active Member

WoW on both accounts, lucky you, great transfer and price. Though the Jamie Leigh doc thing is a little cringe worthy.

20. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

And $11.98 at Amazon.

First time? Guy, get it together :)