Post your rare horror VHS finds here!

Discussion in 'General' started by RyanPC, Jun 19, 2006.

1. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I don't know if there's a thread like this already, but I thought it would be a neat idea. Anyone out there still collect old VHS tapes? I don't have very many but I am slowly working on building up my collection. I won't just buy any old VHS though: I won't usually buy ones that are available on DVD unless the cover is just too cool to pass up (i.e. those huge Wizard Video big boxes).

Anyway, Hollywood Video is having an awesome clearence sale on their VHS tapes, 5 for $15. I just got back, and I picked up:

Hospital Massacre
    Bloody Moon
    Final Exam :nervous:
    From Beyond the Grave
    Don't Answer the Phone!

Most of the boxes are cut-up to fit the video store cases, but that's ok. None of these aside from Don't Answer the Phone are on DVD in R1 yet! Speaking of which, isn't the Media VHS of Don't Answer the Phone the uncut version vs. the Rhino DVD which is the TV version? I sure hope so, love that film.

I've been looking for Hospital Massacre for quite some time; I rented it from Hollywood Video a few years ago and was coveting their copy for so long... but now it's mine! :D

Bloody Moon (the Jess Franco slasher) and Final Exam both suck ass but I figured they're not on DVD and are relatively hard to find (though Bloody Moon does have an R2 release, I believe) so I snatched them up. I doubt Final Exam will ever get a DVD release because I heard a rumor that it is owned by the mob. Maybe we're all better off for it. ;)

Is From Beyond the Grave any good? It is the only one of the bunch that I haven't seen but it has Peter Cushing so it can't be all bad, right?

P.S. Shit, I just looked it up and Don't Answer the Phone is supposed to be released uncut on DVD in October. :( Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2006
  2. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Where did you see that info about Don't Answer the Phone?

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I found it in a thread on DVD Maniacs (scroll down a little bit) and someone also gave a link from Fangoria.

4. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Ahh thanks, can't wait to get that one.

5. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'll probably get it, too, but I hope it at least has shitty cover art so I can boast about having the VHS with superior cover art. ;)

6. gunner

gunner Cropsy Maniac

Death Valley 1982 slasher. Unbelievably mint condition MCA vhs. $3.00 at a flea market!

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The Jitters
    The Monster Squad
    I Was A Teenage Zombie
    (It's on DVD, but still rare.)
    Phantasm II
    Dr. Heckyl and Mr. Hype
    Video Murders
    Mikey
    Head Hunter
    Dust Devil
    The Unholy
    TerrorVision
    Death Ship
    The Willies
    Scream Greats Vol.1: Tom Savini
    The Stepfather
    Class of 1999
    Class of 1999-II: The Substitute
    Fangoria's Weekend of Horrors

Although not horror, I gotta mention these two VHS' as they have never ever been released, not even on VHS:
    The Girl Who Returned
    Big Gus, What's The Fuss?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Ooh, I am jealous, especially of your copy of Scream Greats Vol. 1. :D

A while back a video store in my hometown was having a two-for-one special and I scored copies of Wizard Video's Demoniac (a butchered version of Jess Franco's Exorcism, which I have on DVD... but this is a completely different film!) and Revenge in the House of Usher, and Phantasm II and Phantasm III. I also found a copy of Making Michael Jackson's Thriller at a local antique store for $10 a few weeks ago, and of course I had to have it. :D

Keep sharing your finds, people! I find this stuff to be incredibly interesting. :)

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

One day, I wandered into a store and found a nearly mint VHS of Sundown (an odd Bruce Campbell vampire comedy) and a shiny NEW VHS of Visions of Evil, aka my ever beloved So Sad About Gloria. I was so shocked to see Visions of Evil that I nearly got the vapors. I have to say, it was a good day at casa onebyone.

Of course, I would love to ditch these for good DVDs, but they will do... for now.

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Don't ya just love it when you go into a store not expecting to find anything remotely interesting and you come out with a handful of great shit? :D

Sometimes when I find stuff I've been searching for, I do a little freak-out/spazzy dance and hope nobody is looking at me oddly. :eek:

11. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I have been hitting the Hollywoods myself...and have found a ton of stuff...among the more interesting:
    Run Stranger Run
    House and Night of Dark Shadows
    Burned At The Stake (aka The Coming)
    Beyond the Door
    Curtains
    Trauma (1978 Giallo aka Red Rings of Fear)
    A few Elvira hosted Thriller Video releases
    ...the list goes on and on...in travelling to find some of the more out of the way Hollyoods in the Boston area, I have come across alot of mom and pop places and found even more cool stuff, such as one place that was selling off all their tapes for $1...picked up Nightwing, Necronomicon, and a few others. I really enjoy hunting this stuff down! I never really knew Hollywood had some of these titles in their libraries (never really rented from them much...except for a few new release DVDs).

12. MorallySound

Hell yes! I remember renting that as a kid, along with Moonwalker! Is Moonwalker even on DVD?

13. MorallySound

Same here!

14. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Warner Home Video apparently released a DVD in the U.K., according to DVD Af. There are also DVDs in Norway and the Netherlands. None in the U.S., though. :(

15. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

i have a excellent copy of Splatter: Architects of Fear that i got from a video store for $5

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  16. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I still go through the stores looking for old horror VHS that's not available on DVD. I don't usually keep them though. I transfer them to DVD-R and put the tapes up on Ebay. I recently sold Phantasm 3, The Keep, The Stepfather Series, Body Bags and Tom Savini's Scream Greats. All stuff I found in used bins and pawn shops.

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i got
    bad channels
    the hand
    the nesting
    the chilling
    arena sci fi movie
    iced
    mind ripper
    lover's lane
    psycho cop 2
    amityville curse
    at hollywood video and entertainmart which has millions of vhs and dvd movies

18. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

When I went out of town on business a while back, some of these wonderfully nice forum members helped me decide what to buy at a mom-and-pops video store closing out all of their old VHS.

Some of the ones I got were...

The Boogens
    Scarecrows
    Video Dead
    From Beyond
    Don't Go In The Woods
    Slaughterhouse
    The Gate
    The Gate II
    The Burning

19. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

This is pretty much the extent of my VHS collection.I had over 1200 at one time.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I am very jealous of these. Don't be surprised if you find them missing one of these days. ;)