Premonition

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by dwatts, Feb 7, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Anyone seen this?

I watched it tonight. The pit of my stomach fell out at the opening scene, which is a virtual playback of RingU. However, after that it took off in another direction.

The movie is a nice take on fate, and whether - given the chance - we should intervene in it. Based on an old (30+ years) Manga, I think this was a nice change of pace for Asian horror (J-horror, as it now seems to want to be called).

This was a Tartan release in R2, and they put out a series of six new films. I don't have any of the others, but if this is anything to go by, they might be fun.

There was a trailer for Infection on the DVD, that looked like a more traditional horror title.

Premonition is more of a psychological thriller really, don't come in here expecting gore. However, you also get to avoid those dark haired ghosts - so if you've grown tired of them, but like your asian horror, this might well be a worthwhile pick-up.

Recommended, we enjoyed this one. Might post a review over the next couple of days.

Anyone?

2. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

I have the R1, but have yet to see it.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

So has Mok, he's keeping quiet. :D

4. dwatts

dwatts New Member

5. jefff

jefff Guest

I havent seen Premoniton yet, but Infection is fucking awesome! It may seem like the traditional J-horror fare at first glace, but it really isnt. It's a totally unique angle on J-horror, and doesnt focus on ghost folklore and the like. The whole thing is set in a run down hospital, and there is LOTS of gore and stylishness. The whole thing has a true feeling of dread to it, and unlike many other recent J-horror film clones, it is genuinely scary.

Sorry to get off topic, but I wanted to throw that out to ya. I've had a couple chances to pick up Premoniton used for $5, but it just hasnt struck me as a good blind buy. Maybe i'll give it a shot.

6. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Yeah, I enjoyed this more than I expected to. Was just different enough to establish itself. Although I doubt a remake would do the same, I'm sure it would be the same shitty Asian horror remake we've all come accustomed to.