Private Property (1960) Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Nov 21, 2016.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Private Property (1960, Leslie Stevens)

This film ran afoul of the Production Code back in 1960, as such it could not get a wide release and only played in art houses for a couple of weeks in America (it fared better in Europe) and then was forgotten. It was thought to be lost for over 50 years but was happened across in the UCLA Film and Television archive and now has been restored for people to view once again.

It was written and directed by Leslie Stevens who would later create the popular TV series The Outer Limits and starred Kate Manx who would later marry the director. It also starred Corey Allen (Rebel without a Cause) and the big screen debut of Warren Oates (The Shooting) who would go on to become a big star in the 70's.

The two young men play a pair of drifters who wonder into Manx's home where chaos, desire and confusion would consume them all. This film was made just as noir was finishing and it certainly has some traits but also pushes the more sexual frankness that movies in the 60's would visit. The movie starts with a bang and then meanders a little making its short running time seem longer before a push to a pretty great finale. The film may not please everyone but it sure is an interesting film either way.

7/10

Myron Breck likes this.
  2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Nice find! I've never heard of it but anything with Warren Oates (and a checkered past with censorship) is of great interest to me. Thanks!

3. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Yeah it just came out on blu ray, limited to 3000 copies

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'll have to seek this out. Warren Oats was a phenomenal actor, I wish more folks knew his work nowadays.

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

Here is a review of the blu-ray release

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

This will be airing on TCM next Saturday (Jan 14th) at 10PM, for anyone who would like to try before they buy.

I watched my blu-ray a few days ago, and it's a pretty good movie with a quick running time. The middle chunk lulls a bit, but the last 10 minutes deliver a thrilling payoff. Great performances all around, especially from Corey Allen.

The blu-ray was restored in 4K and also includes a DVD copy. There's a 20 minute interview with the movie's still photographer about the making-of and a trailer. It also includes a fold-out insert with some interesting facts and trivia about the film.