Prom Night: The Collection

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Mattapooh, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah I checked the single disc edition for the runtime as well. Sucks if it's incorrect. Still don't know about this set. If part 2 was the cleaned up MGM version and part 3 was uncut then it'd be a no-brainer.

2. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I bought the box set in 2007 after I ran across it on a website....
    Although the box is slightly different than the one featured above...it's a plain black box with a red glass shard that reads "The Hamilton High Collection."

3. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Whoa, it's been a while since I posted here. :(

I remember I was very hyped to get this box set several years ago. Since then Prom Night I and II have seen better transfers here in the states.

To answer your question, no the UK box set part III is indeed cut, while the Australian version is uncut. How do I know? I actually ordered the australian dvd of prom night III.

Now if you are looking to get a complete set and can do it cheaper I recommend you get the recently release NA Prom Night I & II, the Australian uncut part III, and the double dvd us release of III & IV (if you can find it).

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Same here, ordered the Aussie DVD of III way back in 2007. :evil:

That's unfortunate that the UK box set includes the cut version of III, but at least there's now verification that it's the cut version. ;)

5. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Heh, if I can save people some money buying horror dvds I'm a happy man. :)

I guess it's how much trouble you want to put into it. The box set is good, and either way you'll have to get the uncut part III Australian dvd because the US split disc part III/IV dvd part III is cut too. Really Part III doesn't have much cut, but I know some people (like me) have to have as near an uncut version as possible.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  6. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Are there any extras?

~Matt

8. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Part 3 should be uncut if that counts.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The aspect ratio just says "various",anybody know how each of the four films is represented onscreen ?

10. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Can´t find any info on that.

Yes, i´m counting on that too.

I have the previous australian double feature edition of "Prom Night 1 & 2" and the first one was anamorphic widescreen and the second was open matte. That release was from another company but I can say that the image on "Prom Night 1" was the best available. Those prints carry the Alliance logo before the movie.

I know that in this new collection, Prom Night is anamorphic widescreen because the company also released that movie alone and their site says that. I´m counting on 3 and 4 to be open matte because they were shot on video. The original edition in Australia of part 2 was open matte so I´m counting this new edition to be widescreen. If not, I can only buy MGM´s version of part 2 very cheap.

Here´s a link to the distributor´s site...

Prom Night Collection:
    http://www.beyondhomeentertainment.com.au/index.php?option=com_jmovies&Itemid=4&task=detail&id=436

Prom Night Solo:
    http://www.beyondhomeentertainment.com.au/index.php?option=com_jmovies&Itemid=4&task=detail&id=435

11. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

You also have the full uncut collection in Germany but you have to buy them solo and their prices are higher.

Prom Night (uncut) (widescreen):
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128

Prom Night 2 (uncut) (widescreen):
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375173&pf_rd_i=301128

Prom Night 3 (uncut) (fullscreen):

Prom Night 4 (uncut) (fullscreen):

12. Katatonia

Prom Night 3 was definitely shot on film. It went straight to home video and cable, but it was originally shot on film.

I have the old Australian DVD, which was fully uncut...so I expect this new set will contain that version.

13. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Yeah, none of them were shot on video. o_O

14. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Didn´t know that...

But those two movies were always released open matte, yes?

15. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

For Prom Night movies I too have the Prom night box set from Canada. Also I have Prom night from Anchor bay, Prom night 2 from Aliance & Part 3 & 4 double set.

16. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info ! I have the MGM version of MARY LOU,looks fine and is anamorphic.My copy of the original is the anamorphic one that was put out a few years ago (was it Echo Bridge ? ) that has the speed up issues.I wish this film would get a genuine special edition release.

17. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I'll never understand how does this movie made in 1989 not get a theatrical release? Straight to home video in 1989 was damn near unheard of. I still can't believe Phantasm 3 same story there too.

18. Katatonia

Yeah, always open matte. I don't think either film has ever seen a theatrical release. I don't know what aspect ratio they were actually framed/composed for when originally shot.

The majority of movies back then were shot on film, even if they were destined for video or cable airings. Video just didn't look too great back then, mostly looking like SOV films (like Blood Cult) and having that TV "Soap Opera" appearance to them. HD-Video these days can look a lot more like film than it did a couple of decades back, and post color-grading has come a long way as well.

You're kidding right? There were tons and tons of films back in the late 80's made specifically for the home video and cable markets.

19. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Well mmmmmm I'm not as old or smart as you Kat. Most STV were specially made for those no budget markets. Like low budget flicks Ripper, 555, Sledgehammer, Dark night if the scarecrow etc. Prom Night 3 doesn't strike me as some low budget affair. I like it just as much as Part 2 lots of fun! Now Part 4 looked and felt like a low budget shitfest. I could understand why it was chucked to home video. Guess I'm just over enthusiastic for PM 3. It should have gotten distributed theatrically. I do believe 1989 was around the time that slasher flicks had outdone their welcome.

20. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

You should buy the Australian copy of the original because it´s better than the Echo Bridge version. I compared my release with the screenshots for the review posted on Horror Digital and I can say it is better.