"Prom Night"

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Loced Out Demon, Jun 22, 2002.

1. I've been considering buying this movie, but I havent heard much on it.. is this movie any good? maybe just worth a rental?

thanks

2. Andrew

Andrew Guest

I'm one of a few people who really didn't like it. I love '80's slashers, but this one just blew - in my opinion :). I think you'll get more positive responses than negative though, so you may want to check it out.

3. John

John Guest

I think that Prom Night is essential viewing for 80's slashers. It has Scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis and a great dance sequence :p
    There is really no question who the killer is, but it is still fun to watch. You should probably rent it before buying since not everyone is a fan of Prom Night.

4. thanx ya i might just rent it

5. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Guest

I did not know this was on DVD yet?

What is the quality of the DVD and is it widescreen or full frame.

I am going to have to find it now.

Max

6. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Really?. I seldom hear a positive remark made about ‘Prom Night’ other than the performance given by “scream queen” Curtis. Personally I found the film to be very dull.

Max, I think it was released on DVD a long while back by Image, but is now OOP. However, there's a very good chance I'm wrong.

7. Andrew

Andrew Guest

Nah, most people call it a "forgotten gem of the 80's" or some shit like that :).

8. betterdan

betterdan Guest

It was put out by Anchor Bay but is now oop. I liked it even though the dvd quality wasn't very good but I'm glad i got it for free through Columbia House dvd club anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2002
  9. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

I don't think it's that terrible a movie actually, certainly not a horror revelation but not the worst of its kind either. I think it has some good chase scenes in it, and it's got Leslie Nielsen, what more do you want ? ;). By the way, I never got the old AB disc, is it an uncut version ?.

10. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

AB released the original R-Rated version.
    But there are two scenes missing from that cut: TV CUT

11. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

Thanx, Hell. I wish AB could get their hands on those bits.

12. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

I was never that impressed either. JLC is good, but it's a real cheesefest.

And the dance sequence. Man, white people got no rhythm.

I'd rent before buying, but since I haven't been on the forum in a long while, you've probably already done one or the other.

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

I love Prom Night. As Ace said, the cheese is stacked on high, but that is what makes the film fun. It is in my opinion one of the best early 80's slashers to come out at the time. The concept of a bunch of friends making a pact to hide a murder, although now seeming cliche, was original at the time, and to this day is still entertaining.

Jamie Lee Curtis is at the top of her game, producing her trademark naive and caring personality perfectly for the story. She has such an innocent, down to earth warmthness that few actors can replicate.

Made during the disco craze, this film is one of the few slashers to include the mad disco dancing of the era, and today serves as an important piece of pop culture for 80's buffs. The whole dance scene is quite well done, with flashy lights and brisk editing throughout.

Not a classic, but definitely a film to see if you are a slasher/80's buff. I just saw it on the boob tube the other day (since it is Canadian made it is played on our movie channels almost weekly) and I like it as much now as I did when I first saw it as a kid.

That A/V transfer on the DVD is the pits though. Lets hope we can convince AB to re-release it by asking them at our Sunday chat!

14. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

some good bits to be had here...

Yeah, "Prom Night" is no "Prowler" or "Maniac", but it has it's moments definitely. I like the way the killer taunts his victims on the phone and it definitely harks back to Argento and other giallo pics here as well as on some of the kills...not in the same league, but I see the influence.

Funny thing, I just saw the turd that is "New Year's Evil" on Mystery and couldn't believe what a horrible job was done when the killer made those calls with that crappy voice processor. For one, we see the killer who looks like some soap star the whole time and it just destroys any feeling of suspense a viewer might have had. Throw in heaping helpings of a horrible metal soundtrack and shitty dialogue and you have a recipe for this horrendous eighties crapfest. As many already know, one can do a lot worse than "Prom Night".

15. Justin Kerswell

Justin Kerswell New Member

A SE is planned

I picked up the now OOP DVD for peanuts last year, I heard they were selling it off cheap because a SE was in the works. It'd certainly be worthwhile mentioning the TV scenes in the AB chat (if it hasn't already happened!) as maybe they don't know about them? An improved picture wouldn't go amiss either.

16. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Since WHEN was disco a part of the 80's? :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2002
  17. rhett

rhett Administrator

Well, the disco craze technically lasted from 1977-1980, and Prom Night was made in late 1979 but not released until mid 1980, so it is definitely a part of 1980's pop culture.

18. rhett

rhett Administrator

Re: A SE is planned

Justin, that is what I thought too...

I emailed AB shortly after the price drop, and they told me an SE was planned, and dvdfile even made an annoucement about it. But a few weeks later when there was an AB chat over at the Home Theater Forum, they completely denied even considering a re-release. Even a month or so later when I asked them at the Horrordvds.com chat, they still said no SE was planned. :(

I'd love to see this film remastered (all the prints I've seen have always been so dark) with a soundtrack CD and some extras included. Let's hope AB has some good news for us this time around.

19. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Doh! I knew that year 1980 was going to come back on me......maybe I should stop the crusade and give in to the soul funk energy that illuminates me......................hmmmmmmmmm...

[​IMG]

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Disco was officially dead in the spring of 1979, that's when "Disco-Queen" Donna Summer ("Love To Love You Baby") said goodbye to Disco and released a pop-rock-funk-dance double album.
    Yep, saw that on MTV. :D