"Prom Night"

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Loced Out Demon, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

I liked "Prom Night" but I haven't bought the DVD. Is it worth getting? Is it OOP? All that I remember of part 2 was that the main chick was nude a lot, which is always a good thing. I remember hating part 3, though.

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

3. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I actually like the Prom Night series even though the movies are not related at all except for parts 2 and 3. I like the first one even though I think it ended abruptly and stole from Halloween and Carrie. The dance sequence is hilarious. Jamie Lee Curtis does her Travolta impersonation like it's nobody's business and Leslie Neilson even shakes a leg (briefly) By the way, whatever happened to him in this movie? He completly disappears after the dance scene and is never seen again in this movie. I really liked Hello Mary Lou Prom Night 2. Is was even better than the first one in my opinion and it had some hot Canadian girls in it (but then again, there is something about Canadian girls I'm attracted to. I'm not sure what it is.) The third one wasn't too great ( the weakest of the series) but part 4 is actually pretty scary and is an underrated horror film.

4. HorrorMaster

HorrorMaster Guest

"Prom Night" gets my thumbs up. It was your typical slasher flick with great performances by Jaime Lee Curtis and Leslie Nielsen. If you're a fan of slasher flicks at all, it's definitley worth at least a rental.

~THE MASTER~

5. RickB

RickB New Member

I loved the first one with Jamie Lee,but I hated the sequels.

6. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

Prom Night is on DVD, but it is OUT OF PRINT. I think it is Widescreen. I purchased it when it was still available.

7. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Also, Platinum just put out a cheapie full frame version that can be had for around $5.99 at some stores.

8. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Actually Platinum has a full frame version of Prom night now available on DVD. You can find it easily at Best Buy in the cheap section. The transfer is very muddy and lacks detail though. Makes the old Anchor Bay DVD look pristine in comparison. Still, if you aren't region free then it's a cheap alternative until (and if) another region 1 DVD is released.

9. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

It wouldn't matter if he was region free or not, because the only 2 releases of Prom Night are both R1.

10. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I already did a post about it. :)

Actually, if you want the film that badly, it's not too bad... I've seen screenshots. IMO, the color is brighter than the AB version, which I always thought was pretty soft and lacking detail (plus it's non-anamorphic).

11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I've got both the Platinum and the Anchor Bay and even though the AB DVD is lacking in picture quality, it is definitely superior to the Platinum release. There are scenes in the Platinum that are too dark to see what is going on and it has less detail. Still worth $5.99 just to have it on DVD though.

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I broke down and bought the Fool-Frame Platinum DVD of Prom Night just to see the comparison. My old Anchor Bay DVD of Prom Night definitely wins. I sold the Platinum right away...made a few bucks at least! :evil:

13. Where is the AB chat? I'm interested in checking it out myself.....

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    You guys should have seen this in the theatres back in '80. It had that soft/foggy thing happening...later copied in TERMS OF ENDEARMENT. See - Prom Night was another "first" in cinematic technology! I always liked the look of the film. You should really hear the film loud - I saw it at one theatre and we had to cover our ears during the screaming parts (way too shrill)...but the music parts were pumpin'!

15. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Prom Night was not the first film to be shot with soft focus or whatever you call it when it looks like it's been shot through some cheesecloth.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i dont like prom night it just didnt work for me the sequels are even worse especoally part 2 and 4

17. Paul0889

Paul0889 New Member

my prom night vhs has the NEW LINE cinema logo on it. did they own the rights at one point cause if they still do im sure they'd give it the great special edition treatment

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

My old VHS was released by New Line also. They probably just had the distribution rights for awhile.

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I absolutely adore this film. i don't know why. There were some AWESOME scenes. I have the Anchor Bay disc which is now OOP. I got it off eBay a while back. My fav slasher along with Terror Train, Hell Night, Black Christmas and Halloween.

20. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Member

I really enjoy this movie alot.I was wondering what transfer is the Platinum dvd? I have PN and The Gate on a 2 disc set.Is this the most uncut form of this movie? I also have it on vhs from AB.

Sean