Prophecy (1979)

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by Hellbilly, Apr 13, 2003.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Man, that sleeping bag scene was great. I actually stopped it and played it back a couple of times. Tied in the sleeping bag stakes with Jason :D

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I enjoyed Prophecy even with it's faults. John Frankenheimer films were rarely boring.

3. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Eventually picked up the dvd a wee while ago, the transfer is excellent to say the least. Who cares about extras when you get this kind of quality with a 25 year old film.

Top dvd/top film

Fraser.

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

They have this on VHS at my local video store... I'm gonna have to rent it. Sounds a bit like Piranha except with bears!

Wonderful review, Helly. :)

5. CasEjonz

CasEjonz Guest

The sleeping bag scene is great, but the openning sequence is a great thriller set up. When the last guy in the search party repels down after hearing the screams of his friends, and when we get a glimpse of one of the corpses as the guy's helmet light shines on it is great, as well as the look when he is about to get killed himself. As a child this sequence had me at the endge of my seat for the movie. I was dissapointed with the disc's lack of features, especially since it debuted at stores for 22 dollars!! I waited until it dropped to $10 before getting it. Overall, I think its a great film for its period, even though there is some cheese factor involved

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
  6. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Yes i waited untill the price dropped too.

Got it for £5 sealed.

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Just a little *bump* for those not familiar with this film plus I updated my review a bit after watching this again today. Still a fun & entertaining movie :)

8. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I love this movie as well. The DVD get's regular play from me. One of my favorite nature gone amok films.

9. FilmFiend

FilmFiend New Member

I remember seeing Prophecy at the drive-in as a little kid. I thought the sleeping bag scene was freaky. It seemed more violent on the big screen, but that was probably because I was pretty young. Somebody showed it a lot on television last summer I think, and it was the first time I've seen it in years. I think it might have been The Mystery Channel.

10. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I saw Prophecy when it was out in 1979. And, the sleeping bag scene is one of the best scenes in the movie, and I bought the DVD off of eBay for about $10.00 including shipping. No scratches and the case was in excellent condition. I would double dip if a special edition dvd ever came out.

11. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

Decent flick but Talia Shire grated on my last nerve throughout..i think she is naturally annoying...it must be a gift.:lol:

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Watched this last night for the first time in over 10 years (also the first time I've seen it widescreen). I remember this scaring the shit out of me when I was a kid, and it still had a good tenseness about it now.
    Execellent flick, grabbed it in a BlockBuster 4 for $20 deal and well worth it. If Paramount ever did a SE, I might bend my botcott for this one.
    Talia Shire is annoying, and it was hard to accept Armand Assante as an Indian, but it held up well.

13. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

You've convinced me. And since it's only about $10 right now I'd be a fool not to pick it up.

14. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I saw it when it was originally released at the theaters, and I own it on DVD. And for a PG horror flick, which back in the last 70s is equivalant to PG-13 now. It did have some gore in it, but it was still really good.

15. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Does anyone know if the character of Armand Assante's girlfriend (Victoria Racimo?) was supposed to be killed in that movie? From how I remember it, you see her get hit with some stupid board, and then you never see her again...Seemed that since she had made it through all the other crap, she could have handled a measly board...That always bugged me.

16. Coverdale

Coverdale Guest

I found the original novel of Prophecy in a used bookstore last summer for like $0.50. It was a great read!

17. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

i liked the movie, loved the book. the book was scarier. i would love to see a sequel to the movie though.

18. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I though the book was great but ended up being a little disappointed when I finally saw the movie. That's not surprising though since in this type of situation:
    1) You already know what is going to happen.
    2) The film might not measure up to how you imagined it would look when reading the book.