Psycho: Limited Theatrical Release, Presented by TCM 9/20 and 9/23

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, Sep 20, 2015.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I keep forgetting to post this:
    http://www.fathomevents.com/event/psycho/more-info/details

Ben Mankiewicz will be doing the intro/outro duties this time around. I'll have to catch it on Wednesday. TCM's blog also posted the timely write-up that I haven't read yet: http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/09/14/we-all-go-a-little-mad-some-times/#more-86695

2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw their screenings of REAR WINDOW and JAWS recently and thoroughly enjoyed them, brand new DCP's. I'll be there today.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Fathom Events doesn't do DCPs. It's streamed.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw it tonight, it looked and sounded wonderful, a real treat .

5. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Any other year, I'd go see this, but between the Iron Giant reissue, Rifftrax Miami Connection, and Attack on Titan, there are just too many "Special Theatrical Events" around this time. Since I recently got the Blu-ray steelbook, this will definitely be a home viewing for October.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ho-ly Shit. There was literally a half hour's worth of fluff before the movie began. It started off late, instead beginning at 7PM they didn't kick any of it off and I had to go out and notify the staff. So it didn't get rolling until 7:15PMism. The movie proper didn't start until 7:45PM. (And there was a woman in there since 6:20PM who'd been staring at the black screen for 40 minutes. She had talked about how she kept waiting for the opening movie hints to start. If she had half a brain she could have gotten the staff involved way before it missed its 7PM)

Sure you expect a few extra plugs and the original Hitchcock teaser where he walks around the set/lot is awesome, but my god that's an insane amount of trailers for upcoming Fathom events. Double Indemnity began in earnest very shortly after the start time.

But as Erik said, it was a beautiful presentation and really played well in a theater. I plan on coming in for both days of Dracula at the end of October.

7. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I think that it is great that they do these but I find it hard to justify paying a full price ticket for a digital presentation. If I'm going to a movie theater for a classic movie I want it to be on 35mm and not digital, otherwise I'll just watch a Blu-Ray at home. Events and things like RiffTrax I do because it's more of an event.