Psycho sequels

Discussion in 'General' started by The Joker, Jun 7, 2017.

1. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

To my knowledge, these are the sequels that exist:

Psycho II (1983)
    Psycho III (1986)
    Psycho IV: The Beginning (1990)

And then there's Bates Motel (1987)

I've only seen the original 1960 Psycho and the A&E Bates Motel series. What is everyone's take on the sequels to the original? Does it just get ridiculous and campy.....or worth watching?

2. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Run , don't walk to see Psycho II (1983)

Probably one of the better horror sequels out there imho. Easy top ten in my book. And given what the challenge was to film a sequel from a classic like the original, makes it even more impressive.

Copyboy likes this.
  3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Both Psycho II and III are well worth watching. Psycho IV not so much.... Haven't seen either incarnations of Bates Motel myself though.

4. The Joker

Is there any reason this set wouldn't have Psycho IV, just for completion purposes?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

My only guess is that Psycho IV was a TV "made for cable" sequel. Still Universal, but maybe it was a rights thing? It was played on Showtime.

I know that it was part of DVD Triple play with part 2 & 3. Maybe that Australian set you posted just couldn't get the rights?

EDIT:

Hold on there for a second. Take a look further. LOL

That set you posted HAS part 4. It says it right in the picture.

Forget everything I said prior to this edit. LOL

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Natas likes this.
  6. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Found this DVD set on BestBuy.com. Only 10 bucks. I also have never indulged in any of the sequels. Going to try and catch part 2 asap.

[​IMG]

The Joker likes this.
  7. The Joker

Hmm I guess I looked right through it. Weird that it seems to be the only sequel without a single bonus feature.

8. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

IV was indeed shot for cable...

9. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Totally agree. Psycho II is an excellent follow up. Without giving anything away, a lot of fans of the original had a problem with part of the plot, which Psycho III tried to correct. There are loads of Psycho III fans out there, but I'm not one of them. It's definitely worth a watch, but I had no problem with the storyline in Psycho II. You'll also notice Anthony Perkins' performance gets a little campier in each follow up. There are only a couple of moments in Psycho II where he goes a little over the top, but many more in Psycho III, particularly where he simply repeats things that worked beautifully when he was the boyish Norman in 1960, but not so much as the middle aged Norman of 1986. Psycho IV tries to do what A&E's Bates Motel did so much better, but is still worth a watch if for no other reason than to see Olivia Hussey as Norma.

Bates Motel is an abomination. Just saw this for the first time last year and was blown away by what an incompetent mess it was. It's almost as if they started to make one movie, ran out of enough ideas to fill up the running time and threw in another totally unrelated mini-movie! Toss in a "mystery" so obvious that Jessica Fletcher would be embarrassed to be involved in it, put Lori Petty in a chicken suit, add a sad sack Mrs. Robinson type and a horned up Jason Bateman and there you have it! A classic, indeed! Don't bother.

baggio likes this.
  10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah like other's I'd recommend Psycho II & III. I haven't seen either in ages but remember enjoying them quite a bit. Part IV I really didn't like and the remake came off as pointless as I've never been a fan of shot for shot remakes. Haven't seen the Bates Motel movie but seeing as I never even knew it existed and reading Copyboy's comments on it I think it's probably an easy pass. Haven't seen the Bates Motel tv show either but I hear good things and plan to check it out on Netflix.