Pulse

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by J-Dub, Mar 4, 2006.

1. J-Dub

J-Dub Guest

I loved "Cure", and I read some good reviews of "Pulse" when it had a short theatrical run in L.A. last year. Is the dvd worth picking up? Almost every review I read on Amazon was negative. Supposedly the quality of the dvd is sub-par.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I rented it last week. The anamorphic transfer isn't all that bad really. The colors do appear a tad soft in certain scenes perhaps.

The film itself was a sort of like/dislike with me. The first two-thirds of the film are quite effective and at times...downright creepy. But, around the final one-third of the film, it just goes way off on this entirely different theme that really makes little sense and honestly lost my interest. It would have worked in a different genre of film, but it really killed the flow of an otherwise effective little horror flick, in my opinion.

It really loses its Pulse before you hit the end. I'd still give it a 5.9 out of 10 for the rest of the film, it's still worth seeing.

3. Johnny Macabre

Johnny Macabre New Member

I have the DVD and I tough the transfert was OK. Nothing great but good for a relatively new distributor. I really enjoy the movie, but I agree wit Katatonia for the last third of the film. I would have prefered if the script would have stick with the original idea. I still really enjoyed it and found it really creepy. 3.5/5

4. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

I also agree with Katatonia, and I also like to add that this is not as good as the Ringu movies or Junon. Please go watch Shutter, this film hardly ever gets mentioned and it's just as good as Ringu or Juon.

5. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

I really liked PULSE. By the end I felt like I had seen a film closer in tone to David Lynch then anything resembling The Ring or The Grudge. I described it to friends as 28 days later without the zombies. If you're looking for scares, they're not here. If you like films with creepy visuals and sound that gets under your skin and stays there, Pulse is for you! 8/10

6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I watched this last night. The first thing wrong with it is that it's a minute short of two hours long. Yet it doesn't offer up anything story wise to justify the extended running time.

There are some good moments:

1. The girl's suicide off the top of the industrial complex
    2. That walk!
    3. The plane overhead

However, the story was confusing (my wife seems to have gotten it, my little brain was beginning to shut down toward the end). Also, no surround sound on the R2 disc. Thetransfer was okay, but not great.

Middling asian effort, imo.

7. Does anyone have problems with their DVD? With mine, it seems like the audio editing wasn't finished or something because the transitions are very noticeable. It's like they skipped on an ambience track or something.

8. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

From what I remember, it was pretty creepy to start but as the movie went on it got worse and worse. Overall, it wasn't all that bad but just kind of silly. I think that there is a Hollywood remake of this coming out soon.

9. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I liked this one more than I liked Ring or Juon, but I still didn't like it much at all. It had a good concept, and a lot of the shots were excellently done. I felt that it started out really dull as it seems like it's going to just be another Ring movie. It got interesting when it started getting into the apocalyptic stuff. Again, I liked the concept because it's something I agree with 100%... but it's not a concept that can hold a movie for nearly 2 hours.

I watched it twice and while I enjoyed it much more the second time, I didn't enjoy it enough to watch it a third time, so I gave it away for free to a friend.

10. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

Pretty much in agreement with everyone else here, great start and slowly gets worse as things go on.

The highlight for me was that ghost coming towards the guy near that black couch. I loved the way she moved.

The jet at the end of the movie was one of the worst examples of CGI I have ever seen.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I don't know exactly what your problem is, but I don't think anything is missing. For a couple scenes I assumed the Director was using sound inventively, by isolating voices etc.

12. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

It is intentional and I love it.

Saw the film in cinemas and it was exactly like that.

13. Ok, I was just wondering. I've done a lot of audio editing and that stood out to me as if it were a rough cut of the audio. Thanks for the replies.

14. Spit

Spit Active Member

I had put this off until now, from the previews I thought this was another stupid teen movie, but its not. Nice visuals and I didn't expect it to end like it did. So, if your like me and had ignored this film, don't! It's not worth buying, but throw it on your net flicks que.