Puppet Master: Axis Termination (plus IndieGoGo Campaign)

Discussion in 'General' started by Nailwraps, Dec 14, 2015.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well they reached $50,000 with just over 24 hours still left to go (at the moment). So we'll get to see the end results of the the full asking price after all.

The stunt puppets are cool but way too rich for my blood. The cheapest ones are Weremacht and Bombshell (which honestly are the ones I'd want) at $500. They already sold out of all the core cast puppets at $750 each! Damn!

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'm shocked. Let's see if Charles can deliver. It will likely make the next campaign that much more successful.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well damn, in less than 24 hours they raised $10,000 more! And with that they are bringing back Six Shooter:
    Pretty awesome if they can put together some quality puppets, quality SFX's, some stop motion, and do it all with a good too. I hope this puts some pressure on Charles Band that fans want to see their money's worth on the screen.

BTW Tunneler's stunt puppets are still available at $750 a pop. ;)

4. Dave

Dave Pimp

It really puts into perspective the state of low budget filmmaking these days. Band said in a recent interview that the older Full Moon stuff from the 90s typically cost a few million each. I know he said this film was financed and this campaign was for extra effects, but what do you think the financing was? I'm betting $100k max, meaning we are looking at a $170k budget and the Puppet Masters from 20 years ago were a few million.

I know it is a bit different today with digital camera and found footage. It still amazes me.

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Sadly the lower budget, and they way it's shot digitally, almost gives them a look that reminds me about those XXX parodys.

The older movies, even though they were still considered low budget, at least had some production values, better effects, and also better acting (most of the times).
    They felt like real movies, instead of some cheep shot on video crap.
    The worst problem now, is the acting...ugh...
    Also, the puppets barely have any movements in the latest movies. And the puppets themselves look much cheaper. What happened to the original models?
    Hopefully stop-motion will bring back some of that old-school puppet action.
    Stop-motion is expensive and time consuming, so I don't have high hopes that we will get more than a few seconds of it.
    But hopefully it will be decent enough.

They really should make the next one in modern times, as they could save some money, on not trying to recreate the WW2 era.

Too bad we will never get another Trancers, Subspecies or some kind of Robot Jox styled movie, as it would be impossible to make on these ultra low budgets :(

Zombie Dude likes this.
  6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The reason seems to be that the technology's so cheap now that anyone can do it. Just buying film negatives alone would bump out any no budget filmmaker. Now most teenagers have phones that can shoot 1080p. So there's a lot more movies being made, but you're still competing with the same size market share. So that means keeping a small budget to remain profitable. Except for Hollywood who now has to release bank busting blockbusters every month just to justify their existence on the big screen.
    The original effects creator for Puppet Master, David Allen, had a falling out with Band after Puppet Master IV/V from my understanding and died shortly after. All his EFX expertise went with him including the original molds. Although Full Moon certainly owns the copyright and trademarks, David Allen's schematics are his and his estate alone.

Combine that with the fact that there's just not a lot of physical effects houses around now, and those that are around just work for big productions, so what you end up with is basically either the best or the worst and not much in between. The last two movies have been a clear step up in quality, and hopefully with a few extra bucks they can make it closer to the first five.

But are we going to have to have a charity drive every few years now just to get a decent PM movie? Or any other movies out of indies like Full Moon?

7_RaggedTiger likes this.
  7. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Charles Band needs to give up with these new PM flicks. He doesn't have enough money or time to make one as good as the original 5 and each one he makes looks cheaper and cheaper....and cheaper.

The last one has some of the worst sets I've ever seen and some of the worst CGI blood as well (especially that throat cut early on) The puppet effects are even worse.

The only Full Moon movie I want to see is the newest Killjoy.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  8. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

As Charles Band would say, sorry I suck dudes but your still going to see it.

9. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm very surprised the campaign made so much. I don't trust Full Moon at all these days. Pretty much all of their new stuff is garbage aside from the surprisingly enjoyable Killjoy 3&4. The new Puppet Masters have been painful with super cheap looking everything and terrible acting.
    Maybe by some miracle this extra money they made will make this newest PM worth while but being connected to those other two is already a mistake in my opinion.

10. MisterTwister

Those Killjoy sequels are enjoyable because Band isn't the director. I've never been a huge fan of him as a director as his direction is pretty flat and lifeless. I have a soft spot for Trancers but that's about it.

Killjoy's Psycho Circus is the only Full Moon flick I am anticipating.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  11. Zombie Dude

So true. He definitely has a blandness to the films he directs.

Steel76 and MisterTwister like this.
  12. MisterTwister

Definitely. Hell even though I said I have a soft spot for Trancers his direction in that film is still very bland as well. The movie works because of its concept and Tim Thomerson.

Hell I wouldn't mind a reboot of that film but by someone who isn't Charles Band.

Steel76 likes this.
  13. Zombie Dude

I just want Charles Band to stop making movies. His obsessed with his Killer Bongs and never attempts to make any of his sequels better than the last. He doesn't have the talent for directing and it doesn't help when he has lunch money budgets. I wonder if he honestly thinks his films are good when he brags about them and boasts about how excited he is for a current project he's working on...

I'm not a big Trancers fan but from memory I didn't mind them up to part 3.

14. MisterTwister

Band is full of shit. He says he highly prefers practical effects but uses shitty CGI for the littlest things and is obsessed with juvenile potty humor. He's a hack that, as you said, needs to stop directing.

Yeah once trancers went medieval I stopped caring.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  15. Zombie Dude

Sadly it doesn't seem we should be so lucky.

Same here; I couldn't even get through the first medieval one. Terrible.

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

Wow. Tell us how you really feel, guys. I actually tend to agree with the comments 100%. Their glory days are gone. I would never watch the Bong and Cookie man garbage. No, no, only puppet garbage for me. I did watch the 7th entry in China (maybe not in China but I believe it was filmed there) but skipped over the 8th. I'll watch this 9th one just to see what they can accomplish with an extra $70k.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. MisterTwister

I actually don't mind The Gingerdead Man movies. The first is typical Charles Band blandness but the sequels, directed by William Butler, are a lot of fun. I especially like the 2nd one (which mocks Full Moon at every turn)

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I watched Killjoy for the first time last year - It was watchable - but just barely- and it was only about an hour long. Looking at some of your comments I skipped Killjoy 2 and watched Killjoy 3 last night - very surprised how much better it was. It isn't a masterpiece but it was a fun movie. Ill have to check out the 4th one soon. For those that have seen them all - should I even waste my time watching the 2nd one? I heard it is even lower budget and worse then the first one.

MisterTwister and Zombie Dude like this.
  19. Zombie Dude

Definitely don't bother with the second, it's even worse than the first and like the first movie Killjoy doesn't even show up until half way through or longer.
    Stick to the newer ones for sure.

othervoice1 likes this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Jesus, who ate all the jam out of your donuts? Do we really need to come back hour after hour, day after day to trash Band? I get this is THE INTERNET and so everyone wants to get a dig in but this is getting old real fast.

Yeah, Charles Band is definitely more of a producer/idea man than a director (btw he didn't direct Killjoy 1 or 2). But when Full Moon was really struggling to redefine itself in the wake of Scream/Ringu with Shadow Entertainment it really came down to Band cutting back the budgets and trying some new things like Killjoy but also Evil Bong and Gingerdead Man to finally pull Full Moon out of its funk. Now he directed both of those last two and these new franchises are still making enough profits to produce sequels today. And it put enough coin in the coffers to make more Puppet Master movies viable.

Obviously there's enough people willing to put in $70,000 up front for this new stuff, so people enjoy it and the guy's basically getting to make his movies the way he wants. Everyone in this thread doubted this campaign's success but guess what? It raised all $50k and tens of thousands more in spite of your best trash talk.