Quartermass & the Pit Anchor Bay DVD 1998

Discussion in 'Classic' started by lanemyer774, Aug 22, 2008.

1. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

Quatermass & the Pit Anchor Bay DVD 1998

This is to anyone who either owns this or knows what I'm talking about. I've recently found a sealed copy of this movie (UPC 013131050592). It has the yellow security strip across the top. But when you look at the printing on the back artwork of the DVD, it looks all blurry and double imaged, like a bad printing job. The Anchor Bay logo on the lower right side looks perfect though. Is this DVD legit or is this a bootleg? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  2. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Is the whole back except the logo blurry, or just a little rectangle near the top (usually, under the barcode). If it's just the rectangle, it's legit albiet a re-release direct to the bargin rack at Media Play and Suncoast (those were the only stores I saw them at, there may've been others). A bunch of OOP then and still titles got dumped off by AB in the late 90 or early 2000's. Most said "super saver" or something like that in a little rectangle box, but most I saw just had blurry little rectangles on them wth failed print jobs of the words.
    AB did go to yellow title strips around this time, so I would guess it's legit even if the whole back is blurry, that's probably just a bad print job. I've yet to see a bootleg with any kind of title strip.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Depends on the cost. If it's cheap enough I'd probably go for it.

4. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I have a RASPUTIN-THE MAD MONK DVD like that,it has ''super saver'' printed over the bar code.It's legit.

5. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yeah, I got mine like that from Suncoast years ago. Last year I sold it for 80 bucks on ebay, so I'd say pick it up.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Anchor Bay had some serious quality control issues in regards to their DVD releases back in the 90s. Unless you really need the movie for some reason or it's cheap enough to take a risk, I recommend taking a pass at it. If you're region free there's a much more recent anamorphic DVD of Quatermass and the Pit in R2.

7. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

Thanks for all of the information! I think I'll go pick it up.

8. Severn

Severn Member

It's legit. I have that one also and I paid like 30 plus a couple of years ago off Amazon or ebay (can't remember. Yellow strip and all that). I have that one and the BBC b&w one. One of my favs in the collection.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The BBC black and white version often gets overlooked, which is a pity.

[​IMG]

10. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

It's been on my list to consider for quite some time, but the price has been a bit much. Amazon.uk has it listed for about $45 (VAT gets cut, but shipping then makes up the difference), and while I have spent more for TV seasons before for some reason I'm just not so keen on plopping that much down for 3 50 year old TV serials. Especially given parts of the first one have been lost to the ages. If it was about $35 I'd probably pull the trigger on my next across the pond order.