Quentin Tarantino tackling the Manson Family Murders for his next movie.

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Jul 12, 2017.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ing-new-movie-tackling-manson-murders-1020165

"Quentin Tarantino is quietly starting to put together his latest project, and is talking to A-list actors for what is promising to be a unique take on the Manson Family murders.

The project, whose title is unknown, was written by Tarantino, who would also direct. Harvey and Bob Weinstein, who have produced and executive produced the previous Tarantino films, are involved, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

WME is said to be in the early stages of shopping the project to studios to co-finance and co-distribute the venture. The move apes the way Tarantino and the Weinsteins made the filmmaker’s 2009 movie Inglourious Basterds, which had Universal Studios as a financial and distributing partner.

Sources say that Tarantino is putting the finishing touches on the script and that Brad Pitt, who worked with the filmmaker on Basterds, and Jennifer Lawrence have been approached. Studios could receive the package after Labor Day, according to one source. The plan is to shoot in 2018, possibly in the summer.

Script details are fuzzy but one of the stories centers on Sharon Tate, the actress and wife of director Roman Polanski who was murdered by Manson and his followers in 1969.

Manson had ordered a group of his followers to attack the inhabitants of a house in the Benedict Canyon part of Los Angeles, believing it was owned by a record producer who earlier had rejected him.

Over the course of several hours on the night of Aug. 8, the four followers, using guns and knives, brutally killed Tate, who was eight months pregnant, and four other occupants.

In 1971, Manson and certain members of his crew were sentenced to life imprisonment for these and several other murders committed that summer.

If the Manson-Tate project does become Tarantino’s next film, it becomes unique in that it will be his first movie to be based on true events. Tarantino has molded his career into taking his favorite genres such as crime, Westerns and blaxploitation and elevating them to A-list status while also paying homage to them.

He also has proven to be able to create strong and memorable female roles, from the title character in Jackie Brown to the Bride in Kill Bill to the female characters on display in Death Proof.

Tate could be the latest to join that list.

Any actor involvement is on the early side, and one insider said that Lawrence is not considering the Tate role.

WME had no comment."

Natas likes this.
  2. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

On whole I have been quite supportive of Tarantino's work but on the face of it I can't say I'm looking forward to this. The Tate/Labianca murders where a sad and tragic event and there are still people living who were related to the victims. I fully understand that this is not in the least uncommon when it comes to "true crime" films and I don't doubt that QT could make an effective film about the events. At first blush though I just think it might be a film I don't want to see. Just a personal opinion.

chancetx likes this.
  3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm a huge Tarantino fan, but I don't believe a word he says (or more accurately, what some entertainment magazine/show/blog says) until he begins shooting. I have no doubt in my mind that he always has half a dozen or more projects he's "working on" and that half the shit that gets reported as his "next project" is just something he said off the cuff.

X-human likes this.
  4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I agree with both Erick and Paff: I'll believe it when I see it, and it sounds kind of depressing to tackle such a notorious, real-life case. Then again, QT just might have a "serious" movie inside him that he wants to get out before his self-imposed retirement.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Basically. Rumor mill is quick to pickup and run with these things, Pitt and Lawrence may be nowhere near what QT's may have planned. And hell, he may not have even said a single thing about Manson and someone just dreamed the whole thing up.

But seeing QT resort to stringing together some exploitation cliches and gluing it all together with the N-word just doesn't do it for me anymore. Just reeks of "because I can" not "because I should." I checked out after Basterds was not nearly half the film of the original (while coming out longer). And I've since shown the original to quite a few people and they've all said, "Yes, THAT'S what QT should have done!"

But I don't have much interest in a Manson film anyways as I've always stayed away from all the movies. It was a fucked up thing and I'm not convinced it can be done with dignity because there was nothing dignified about it. It was an entirely senseless event.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

How many films & television productions have there been about the Manson Family? Just seems like an overdone concept to revisit. I would prefer Tarantino pursues something else.

7. The Joker

The Joker Well-Known Member

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

oh, you should watch An American Crime. Very harsh depiction of the events, and a movie you'll never want to see again.

The Joker likes this.
  9. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I would believe this more if it said "Rob Zombie to make film about Manson murders..."