Quentin Tarantino tackling the Manson Family Murders for his next movie.

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Jul 12, 2017.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'll see. I was just thinking I'm surprised he hasn't done a Giallo yet. But with all the "violence" critiques that get thrown at him I suppose he's already heard too much to go full bore on something Horror.

I don't think it'll be a "straight" horror film any more than his other films were straight crime, action or war movies. It'll probably be more together than Death Proof which was intentionally designed to feel like a disjointed quickie and that another director took over and re-wrote the second half.

2. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I can't remember but what did he tease before that he didn't complete?

I would be fine with Death Proof and Grindhouse as a whole being his horror entry. The first part of Death Proof feels kind of like something out of a Friday the 13th movie. And the sheriff flat out says it was a sex thing with the accident.

Plus Tarantino plays some crazy characters in both movies.

3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

A lot of stuff.
    He have talked about making a shaw brothers styled kung fu movie, an slasher/giallo in the style of Argento etc etc. But it never happened.
    He’s just throwing a bunch of ideas around, and people think it’s gonna be his next project.

It’ll probably be another 2-3 years until we know what he’s really working on next.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, there was the "Vega Brothers" movie he talked about, and I can verify this first hand, as he mentioned it during a SD Comic-Con panel I attended in 2003. Except that he was already leaning away from it, as he felt that Michael Madsen was "too old", prompting Madsen to jump the Q&A line to complain (Tarantino literally did not know Madsen was attending the panel).

There was the Kill Bill 3, following Vernita Green's daughter's revenge on Beatrix, there was talk of a Friday the 13th film, and of course the current Star Trek rumors. There was the whole Hateful 8 debacle, where it was scrapped after the script was leaked, only to be made anyway.

I think it's 50% Tarantino bluster, and 50% entertainment media looking to "scoop", so when they hear the bluster they report it as fact.

If you've never listened to it, check out the commentary track he did with Edgar Wright on the Hot Fuzz blu-ray. They don't spend a second talking about Hot Fuzz; it's literally just two hours of QT and Edgar Wright talking about movies, and what they'd love to make next.

Matt89 and Steel76 like this.
  5. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I finally got to see it last night, and having slept on it, I will say that I liked it quite a bit. The whole late 60's vibe, which is so beautifully captured via the costumes, cars, music, and set decorations - it's simply a beautiful film. It is more driven by characters than narrative, and it is a bit unstructured. Obviously, Pitt and DiCaprio are both wonderful, but I loved Margo Robbie's sweet, wide-eyed innocent portrayal of Sharon Tate just as much. It may not be as layered or complicated as the two male leads, but that scene with her passing the theatre showing her movie and passing it again, giddily hoping to get recognised - I don't know, I found it very touching. Also, the 60's icon cameos were a lot of fun. During the Polanski party, my mate went "that's Mama Cass!" when a large, fabulous woman strode onto the scene. My response was: "Gee, what gave her away?" One hair in this dish, though: Tarantino has a certain fetish I just don't get. No, not the foot fetish. Go nuts with them women's feet, I don't feel one way or the other. No, it's his Zoe Bell fetish - seems whenever she's in a Tarantino flick, all she does is act loud and obnoxious. But I'd still rate this as perhaps my favourite Tarantino to date. Come on, Tarantino's alternate reality version of the Manson murders? It allows you to leave the theatre feeling warm and fuzzy and still have witnessed an overwrought, hysterically gory display just before the movie ends.

Myron Breck likes this.
  6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Funny, I just watched it again last night too, this time in 35mm.

Yeah, wasn't there something just really satisfying about
    Susan Atkins getting flamethrowered?

I was more on the lookout for cameos and casting this time. I spotted Harley Quinn Smith (Kevin's kid) and Danielle Harris. I missed Perla Haney-Jardine (aka "BB" in Kill Bill volume 2), the credits says she was the one who sold Brad Pitt the LSD-laced cigarette, but I thought that was Margaret Qualley. Guess I need to see it a third time.

I've decided to stop "ranking" QT's films; I like all of them. Sure, I think Pulp Fiction is pure perfection and would still be #1 on my list, but every film after that (yes, including Death Proof) can all be shuffled around and I wouldn't disagree with it. So what's the point?

Kim Bruun and othervoice1 like this.
  7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

One of Tarantino's only flaws for me is the needless voiceovers and his literally stopping the movie to label someone on screen. I was shocked he didn't freeze it and put "Mama Cass" up there like he did for Steve McQueen--I mean, it's obvious who he was.

One thing I keep missing is the woman he's talking to about the relationship between Sharon, Roman and Jay. She looks 100% like Joey Heatherton but I didn't see her in the credits.

I guess Tarantino should have hit the pause button and tagged her for me, LOL

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, he was talking to Dreama Walker who I recognized from the movie Compliance. She is credited as Connie Stevens.

Myron Breck likes this.
  9. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Oooooh, Connie Stevens, no wonder I was confused. Thanks for the help.

Compliance was amazing.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Finally got to see this the other night and really enjoyed it. Just great stuff and a lot funnier than I was anticipating. That ending wasn't what I was expecting and I loved it. My wife and I were pissing ourselves
    when Brad Pitt had that one hippy and was smashing her face into everything it the house. It was shockingly hilarious.

I'll definitely be getting this at some point.