Question 'bout "The Last Man On The Earth"

Discussion in 'Classic' started by niMANd, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Back to the film which is the subject of this thread...

"The Last Man on Earth" and other European based productions used a variety of anamorphic lenses for principal photography under the trade names "Franscope" etc.
    Most of them were somewhat better than Fox's Baush and Lomb anamorphic lenses but none of them were as distortion free as Panavision.

In the eighties, two other companies leased quality anamorphic lenses comparable
    to Panavision's. They were Todd-AO 35 and JVC Scope (the latter used for "Return of the Jedi"). Both were good units although Panavision continues to dominate the widescreen field. The trouble with the company is that they will only rent their lenses to union/big budget films and will not lease them to indies like me so I'm unable to film in widescreen.

I did shoot "Run for Cover" in 3-D widescreen. I used StereoVision lenses which were an adaption of Techniscope but better...

The frame was again two sprockets wide and the same ratio as CinemaScope except it was split into stereo pairs. In the standard four sprocket frame, the top two sprockets contained the left eye image and the bottom two sprockets the right eye image. In projection, a special lens superimposed the top image onto the bottom with appropriate polarization. You got an excellent wide frame (2.35 x 1) 3-D image.
    It wasn't grainy like Techniscope because the images were projected directing onto the silver screen as is. They weren't blown up as they were in standard Techniscope.
    Also, superimposing two images tends to fill in the grain inherant in magnifying two smaller frames.