Quick, Reply To This!....please.

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Egg_Shen, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hey, you did make sure the Criterion Halloween LD is the CAV version, right? The CLV version does not have the extras, including the commentary (I think)

The CLV version is one disc, the CAV version is 2 discs. Sorry, I don't feel like discussing the technical differences between CAV and CLV tonight...

2. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yeah, I defenitely got the CAV LD after reading that it's CLV counterpart was featureless. I thought the big difference between the two(CAV and CLV) was that the CAV held less per side but had better picture quality. OH, and a VERY interesting point made by the bidder was that the CAV LD of Halloween was far superior to the DVD released by AB. I own that DVD and THOUGHT the movie was the best it could be presented in, which was pretty good to me. So is the LD realy better? Oh and what do you think of the advanced codes working to shift to the analog tracks?

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Man, I don't know about that. I mean, the Criterion CAV LD is NICE, but I'd have to believe the DVD is better. (Unless the guy is only talking about the extras). I'm not a huge Halloween fan, so I've never compared.

As far as the remotes go, I'd suggest doing what you can to get a Pioneer LD remote. Replacementremotes.com hooked me up. You just need to find out which remote your player needs, and even then you have some leeway as any Pioneer remote should work.

4. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

He was talking about the picture quality "in all its CAV glory." I'm a pretty big fan of Halloween (although being such an admirer of Carpenter I can find merit in almost any of his films, yes even GOM) so beating out the THX certified DVD is a huge feature in its own right. So yes I will compare I'm sure. Oh, and I've been wondering through all this what kind of player you own and, in your opinion, the best that there is yo get.

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The CAV Halloween looks great, but the THX dvd is better. The laser has better extras, but the doc. on the dvd is good too.
    The comm. has Carpenter and Hill together, and Jamie edited in from a seperate track. Great comm track.

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Is this your player?:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-v2400/pioneer_cld-v2400.htm

If you want my honest opinion, I'd say don't sink any more money into this, especially if you plan on building a LD collection. I mean, if you only want the 2 or 3 discs you have, maybe you should keep it, but if you really want to keep buying LDs, you'll want something better.

The best players were the Pioneer Elites, namely the Elite CLD-99 and CLD-79. OK, There's some real expensive Japanese Pioneer players too, but those are for serious collectors only.

I'm using a CLD-D704, generally considered the best non-Elite player built. It's pretty damn sweet. A well done Laserdisc looks as good as a non-anamorphic DVD on that player. And sounds better!

I'd recommend a CLD-D406, CLD-D50x, CLD-D60x, or CLD-D70x. These are all double sided players (no damn disc flipping!). (x is a single digit variable from 1 to 6)

Many players are Pioneer Clones, and you can sometimes find them at a reasonable price. I got a Pro-Scan PS46 from E-bay for around $100, and it's a nice little player.
    A Marantz LV-520 is also a clone of a mid-level Pioneer.
    Mitsubishi has some nice players too.

If you find any auctions that you're not sure of, post 'em here and I'll let you know.

Again, if you're not gonna half-ass laserdisc, might as well get a good player. One of the unfortunate things about LD was that not all players were created equal, some are downright shitty. It's not wise to go spending money on an LD player if you don't know much about them. Ask an expert.

7. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yeah, that's it. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to LD. Infact I didn't even know it couldn't hold the complete movie on one side until I watched The Fog. I would really like your help in buying a good player though. I, being naive, thought it was the disc that provided the quality. Now that I know that all players arn't the same I am looking for a better model. Unfortunately you posted to late to save me from my radical spending. Will you give me your opinion on this Pioneer CLD s201.
    Thanks.

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-s201/pioneer_cld-s201.htm

I'm afraid this won't be up to par, being the age it is and all. It did come with 4 movies and wasn't to much cash though.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2001
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually, that's not bad, it's one of the better single sided player. But double sided players are so much better...

What's your price range?

here's some auctions of some pretty good players:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1304828116

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1304841905

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1491205825

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1303693851

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1304536013

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1305426755

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1303241961

All of these should final at less than $200, which isn't too bad. I'd expect them to go between $100 and $150.

9. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Geez Paff that was really cool of you. My range is around that($100-$200). I definetly wan't the best player, but getting some disks along with it wouldn't hurt. Why don't you tell me the one YOU would buy and I'll probably go with that. Also what is the difference in quality(besides the ability to flip the disc) between those and the Pioneer CLD-S201 LD? I mean I can't keep buying these things so if the contrast is small I'll likely stick with it(S201).
    Again thanks, you've been a great help.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Hmmm...well, in that case I'd stick with the first one (The Mitsubishi 7057) or the fourth one (The Pioneer CLD-D702)

Trust me, dual sided makes a big difference. Also, those two players (especially the 702) have some nice signal processing. You WILL notice a large difference with those players.

11. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

OK I like the 702 if you do. I don't know it's worth so what should I bid up to?

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Bid what you can pay...

I'd stay under $200, though it's worth a bit more. Let me check around on that Mitsu 7057 though. If I recall, that's a clone of a higher end Pioneer, like a 606 or maybe even a 704.

Either of those players would put your 2400 to shame...

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah man....grab that 7057 if you can...check out the specs on this bad boy:

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/l...ishi/mitsubishi_m-v7057/mitsubishi_mv7057.htm

It looks exactly like the specs on the Pioneer CLD-D704, the player I have. The bidding is at an appallingly low $81. Anything LESS than $200 is highway robbery.

This baby has all the bells and whistles - Jog shuttle remote, VDNR (Video Digital Noise Reduction), AC-3 RF output (for Dolby Digital), Optical Out (for DTS)

If it's in good condition, LDs look almost the same as DVDs on it...

14. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

since Paff has an eye on this post...

hey paff, lemme axe ya! (let me ask you.. LOL!!:D )

Seriously,
    this may be a pretty stupid question, and I DO remember reading about it in my LD manual, but I don't feel like diggin it out of whatever box I stored it in.

But the "QUICK TURN" on the LD player of mine, turns the disc SUPER FAST. Why is this an option?? Am I giving something up for this luxury? I mean, why would someone NOT want the quick turn feature activated??

To be quite honest, I think when unplugged my LD player (i may have this reverse) automatically turns it on, and it has a bright green light. Depending how I feel, I don't like that little light on. So I've turned it off. (remember I may have this reverse)

But with the quick turn on or off, I hardly notice a time difference. Both are pretty fast. So am I losing something???

What happens when it turns it fast? And shouldn't that just be a regular feature. I guess those Karaoke people don't want that fast flip time, but.....

(hope i'm making sense)

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

"Quick Turn" is a dumb feature.

Physically, nothing is different. The Disc stops. The Laser head rides on this little U-shaped track that brings it to the other side of the disc. The disc begins spinning in the opposite direction.

Now, what "quick turn" does, is eliminate a LOGICAL step, which is a "Chapter read" of the disc. I don't know why anyone would care about that. A Chapter read takes around a second or so, that's why there's so little difference with or without "quick turn".

Use whichever setup you like best.

16. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

:rolleyes:

(not for your post, but for the 'quick turn' feature, thanx btw)

17. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Man, all this talk of a new LD player is getting me itchy. I think I'm gonna break down and replace mine.

18. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yeah Paff, that player is REALLY nice. Infact I'm all ready to place my bid. Unfortuanatly my credit card expired recently so I'll have to send a money order(which of course takes MUCH longer) but oh well. Before I do I wan't to make sure that this is on par(or at least close) to your Pioneer player. It should last a while, right?

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Providing it's been well taken care of, yes, it will last a long time. It's a solid machine.

I'm a little torn on which one to recommend...the 702 looks like it was taken care of better, but the Mitsu is a much better machine (at least based on the specs). And yes, it really does look as good as the 704. That's the thing with E-bay, it's buyer beware.

One thing you can do with these players that's kinda nice is freeze-frame on CLV discs.

Still, if that 7057 hovers around the $200 range (even a little above), it's a damn good deal. Did you see that it originally listed for $1299? That's one thing in it's favor: People didn't buy these machines on a whim, you had to be a real serious LD collector. So there's a chance it's in excellent shape.

It's your money, you make the call. So IF it's in good shape, you'll get one hell of an LD player...

20. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

Shit!! That's pretty damn sweet! There are two reasons why I'm not as aggresive on LDs.

1. I can't freeze frame on my LD. ('cept in CAV) I dunno about everyone else, but I freeze frame a lot!! Don't ask me why! But I like watching some scenes frame by frame! My Natural Born Killers Box is in CAV and there is SOOOO much stuff going on in there, I need to be able to stop and appreciate it. I was hoping to find some 'clever' finds when the credits scroll up after the Rodney Dangerfield bit, but nah! At least that time, I could have missed something. But of course with CAV, you gotta get up and change several disc.

2. Quite honestly, the 5-8 seconds it takes to switch sides, has always erked me. Yes it is a small price to pay when dealing with the disc that are superior to their DVD wanna-be's, but some companies pick the WORSE time to swap sides! Brings you back to 'reality' so to speak!! At least for me. Depending on the films, I really get into them. Don't try callin my house when I'm watching Godfather II on LD, I won't answer!! ;)

Other than that, I had found them to be a tad bit grainy, but that was with my last TV set, which i don't feel like dwelling on again! With my new set, I have lit that fire again on me with LDs, but besides the above complaints, I still pimp the LD.

(but my chick's folks are buying me a new DVD playa for X-mas!!!)