Quick, Reply To This!....please.

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Egg_Shen, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, you can do CLV freeze frame on upper level players, though it's not great. CAV freeze frame is about the best thing there is in the world. Each frame of the film is represented by one round trip of the disc. So when you freeze frame it, the laser just stays in the same place as the disc spins.

I don't mind side flips/changes....USUALLY. But hoo-boy, there's some bad ones out there. The two worst are Reservoir Dogs (side flips right as Nice Guy Eddie's in the middle of a speech), and Blade Runner: The Director's Cut. In that one, the disc CHANGE is during the chase sequence with Deckard and Joanna Cassidy.

I've come to accept the flips though, and they don't bother me at all. In fact, to me, it tells me how good or bad a movie is. Sometimes, I'm bored, wondering if the movie is EVER going to end. Then, the side flips, and I realize there's still anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour left.
    But some movies, like LA Confidential, I swear that side flip can't be more than 10 minutes into the movie....

2. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

You must have never collected vinyl LP's. Before CD took over, any record you listened to had to be flipped. I believe that my father had me just for this reason. My father also bought Pioneer's very first model of LD player, and turning over his laserdisc's became another childhood chore of mine. So the time it takes for my player to do it's auto reverse is spent reflecting on childhood memories of flipping dad's Blues Brothers or Tron laserdisc over. And if I ever watch a DVD of a film that my dad had on LD, I'm always a little confused without the "End of Side 1" screen. Sorry if this post strayed a little off, I just wanted to add my $0.02

Last edited: Dec 4, 2001
  3. MISFITZ

MISFITZ Guest

:D :D :D

That was pretty funny!!! LOL!! Nah, i had LP's, (though only got them for music and not collection) but you didn't flip an album in the middle of a song did you? Like I said, depending on the film, I really get 'into' the film. I could name examples as Paff did too, but I'm sure we all get the point. But those are just my 2 'beefs' with the format.

I have the AB Dawn of the Dead, and that was one of the first DVD's I ever bought. I thought DVD was gonna be like that too! (flip sides) Was about to not invest any more $$$ in DVD because i would rather just stand by Laser Disc. Sad thing is, DVD has become so 'hot', it doesn't feel the same collecting as it did with Laser Disc.

I mean, when I bought my Criterion version of Taxi Driver, I felt like I bought a 'serious' film/lover/collector's version of the film. I felt the purchase was worth the large price because it would carry class and treat the film at some of the highest respect.

With DVD, it just doesn't feel that way.

I mean TV commercials yell, "Plus see the deleted scenes and out takes! WOW!" or the 'other movies I may like' feature on DVDs are just sales ads or something! I dunno! Even when at the store (I usually buy on-line), people just pick up a DVD like they were renting a film for the weekend.

I personally LOVE horror to death. But I also enjoy films. I wouldn't call myself a movie collector, but I always try to treat a film, the way some people treat a book. I admire the direction, the writing, the photography, camera angles, etc...

And seeing some couple grab T-2, Independence Day and try to act like their "Home theater nuts", it just makes me roll my eyes!!

Sorry, this is straying off topic and bordering on a rant. I'll stop there!!

Anyways....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2001
  4. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Hey it's all right Misfitz, I agree totally with what you have said. That's part of the raeson I wanted to get a LD plyayer in the first place. On a sad note someone stole my wallet the other day at work. That really sucked. Got about $150. Oh well. I still think I'm going for the player cause I got someone who's willing to bid for me, someone with a credit card. Oh, and I never got the AB Dawn of the Dead DVD, I always had hopes of getting the CAV LD. Now that carries class.

5. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Hey Paff, I saw the LD player has gone up a bit . A great price still, but I was wondering how many people from this forum have gone to bid on it AFTER you said it was such a kick ass set. Just curious. Hope I can still get away with highway robbery ;) .

6. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

That laserdisc is the reason I bought my player:D I actually had the disc first, because my dad has a LD player, but then I broke down & bought a player the day after I got the CAV set. Only commentary GAR has ever done for Dawn is on this disc.

7. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

Yeah, don't I know it! I would also suspect, being a CAV LD after all, that it features a pretty nice transfer :) .

8. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

The Dawn CAV disc has a very nice transfer, and a plethora of supplements. It has the complete script, a ton of theatrical & TV spots, memorabilia photos,etc... However, I don't enjoy the commentary very much, it's a little bland. Seems like GAR & Savini are watching the film most of the time and not commenting on it. Anchor Bay should have used this for their DVD releases, hopefully they'll get it right with the next DVD.

9. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

It seems most people feel this way. I liked the commentary for Martin, NOTLD, and Knightriders, so I think I will( if I ever pick it up that is) find at least some merit in it.

10. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

It is somewhat informative, but not as interesting as the above mentioned commentaries.