Quick review of TRAUMA AB version

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by killit, Aug 19, 2005.

1. killit

killit Active Member

Ok, is it worth your money? Yes and No. The Featurette, LOVE, DEATH & TRAUMA, is not half bad and a very welcome extra feature. The Deleted scenes are represented well(though there are not many of them). Audio commentary by Alan Jones, well, it's not great. It's obviously rather old and full of misinformation. On set with Tom Savini, is'nt bad and fans should find it the most interesting of tom savini featurettes. Discs comes with a bunch of american dario trailers. Here's what I have issue with :FULLY RESTORED AND TOTALLY UNCUT FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN AMERICA! Ok it's the first widescreen incarnation, so I guess that count's for restored these days. This is the same print released by worldvision in the 90's(the unrated one of course, it came in both r and unrated) The reason, or one of the reasons that was not a big seller with argentophiles is because at the time there was a rather popuklar boot with all the longewr death scenes. None of that is on this disc, alan jones says he's never seen it, but darfio's confirmed to him that it's true. Well, I have seen it, I owned it, and am annoyed ob the abscence of the extended murders on trhis dvd. Otherwise a fine release. Alan jones commentaries are not a favourite, I'd rather have the other guy, from the phenomena and tenebre discs. Cheers, I'm typing this at an airport, so it's a bit in haste, but I've had the disc for over a week and have just had the chance to view it.

2. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Damn that's not what I wanted to hear. I'll wait for more reviews before I make a decision.

3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- Audio commentary by Alan Jones, well, it's not great. It's obviously rather old and full of misinformation.--

Actually, I think this is a new commentary track recently recorded. And Alan was on the set of this film, so I'd be interested to know what misinformation is in it.

4. meddle

meddle Member

Wait a minute isn’t Alan Jones considered an expert on the films of Dario Argento and he wrote the definitive book on the man. :confused: His commentary was recorded recently so it cannot be old and outdated and as for his commentary being full of misleading information I find that hard to believe. :rolleyes: One of the reviewers at DVD Times also has a copy of Anchor Bay’s Trauma DVD. I will wait to hear what he thinks before I pass any judgment on this release. :)

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Didn't he also do a commentary for Bird with the Crystal Plummage? If anyone here likes Argento but doesn't have Alan Jones' book, then go get it now. Excellent read.

6. meddle

meddle Member

From what I heard he recorded the audio commentaries for The Card Dealer, Trauma and The Bird with the Crystal Plumage all around the same time earlier this year.

7. killit

killit Active Member

Listen to it for yourself. I'm not on an anti alan jones campaign, I'm just trying to help you out. Stating, what I fleshed out. He himself says he only saw trauma twice, once when it was premiered and again for this dvd. This isn't a for or against sorta thing, it just is. Be skeptical, be whatever, fuck if I care, it's just not as cool as a release as some(including me) hoped. He doesn't even care for the film. Besides, if you all were gonna buy it, you woul;d have preordered it buy now. I just got home, I'm drunk, and for the record it does sound old, it sounds like it was recorded for the tartan dvd. btw I'm passing judgement cause I have the fucking disc. It's not Uncensored , it's the sdame old . As far as the misinformation, he visited the fucking set, he's visited most of dario sets, it's a far cry from being an expert. Dario's not fucking dead, he's the fucking expert, jeez, hello, and if anybody has insight on drrio it;'s fucking maitland. Watch the trauma doc, dario states the same stuff he's always said and it is contrary to what jones said. You all are missing the point, the point being, this is the worldvision cut, that's really the main thing. How many fucking times have you seen suspiria , trauma or whatever, consider yourself a fucking expert.

8. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Stop drinking...

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The point being, posting when drunk makes you type gibberish :D

Maitland just doesn't do it for me. Jones book is fantastic, with tons of details, not only from what he saw on the set, but from his interviews with just about everyone involved with Argento. He's as close to an expert as we have I reckon (which doesn't make him interesting of course.

As for his not liking the film all that much - well, to me that makes sense, because it isn't a very good film. Of course others disagree. So what is the misinformation?

10. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

All I want to know is how's the A/V quality?
    I recently sold my Tartan disc and I'm pretty sure this one's better.But if it isn't,I'll buy the new UK disc instead.
    I'm not buying this for the extras (although some extras are always nice) but for the movie.
    Yes,I'm one of the few who actually likes this movie :nervous:.Not one of my favorites but still worth watching once or twice a year.
    And anyone who has read Jones' review of it (in Profondo Argento,but published earlier) already knows he dislikes it.That doesn't mean he can't do an audio commentary.
    And the fact that Dario claims something doesn't always necessarily mean it's true either.

11. dwatts

dwatts New Member

--And the fact that Dario claims something doesn't always necessarily mean it's true either.--

Actually, there are several points in the book where Argento contradicts himself, or is caught out making mistakes. No biggie, he's doing interviews, not taking an exam.

12. Mattster

Mattster Guest

The thing that keeps me from buying Jones' book is because the guy has made some pretty lame mistakes in the past and, because he hates Phenomena, he pretty much disregards it in anything he does about the man. I'd hate to buy it and see a couple of pages of his opinion of the film rather than anything interesting.

I don't care if you hate the movie, but if you're going to write a book about the man, you can't let your opinion overshadow your job. Maybe he didn't treat it so badly in his last book. I'll have to read some reviews.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Oh, but that's totally wrong. Jones is a man with an opinion. He didn't write a biography (in which case your comment might ring true), instead, he reprinted and documented his own experiences with Argento, his films, and with the people who made those films. I happen not to rate Phenomena or Trauma myself - so I happen to agree with Jones on that. However, he writes good things about Phantom, which I wholly disagree with.

But that's the point, Mattster - at least for me. The only way to get a rounded view on things is to read things you disagree with, so you can understand a differing opinion other than that gut feeling "you're wrong". You seem to suggest you don't want to read the book because you don't agree with some of the things written in it - that's a missed opportunity, imo.

Personally I found the book fascinating. even if Jones made an error or two - the interviews with cinematographers, script writers, musicians, actors....... is just too good to pass up. If you want to know about Argento, to my knowledge, no-one has written about the films better.

14. Mattster

Mattster Guest

It's not so much that his opinion is wrong. Trust me, I'm used to people hating Phenomena. I'd just like to read something with interesting facts about it that I didn't know already. For a man with such an insider's point of view, I was hoping he'd spare me the analysis and opinion and give me some factual information. If it relies too heavily on opinion then it might as well be Broken Mirrors, Broken Minds.

15. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Dude, there are so many factiods in the book, you won't sleep for a week. The book is broken out into reviews of the film, and the nuggets of info.

Example: The Phenomena section starts with factual information about the film, including quotes from an Argento interview held at the time. Then he does his review of the film. He then does an interview with Simon Boswell, Foire Argento, and Franco Fellini. This runs for 11 pages total - with many great shots too.

That's just the piece specifically about Phenomena.

-- If it relies too heavily on opinion then it might as well be Broken Mirrors, Broken Minds.--

Oh, this book is worlds apart from that book. It is far more accessible, and much less speculative. I wouldn't begin to compare them.

ps: I think we established the majority of the people here like Phenomena, so you're in good company ;)

16. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Well that's better than what I expected. I just didn't want to a buy a book, for the film I'm really interested in, to get nothing new out of it.

17. killit

killit Active Member

A/v Quality (semi-sober)

It's 2:40.1, anamorphic, and an excellent quality print. The film used the ENR process(or as jonesy calls it E M R, sorry couldn't help myself, but seriously, sometimes it seems as if he knows fuck all about film)ENR is an old school process, which is very similair to bleach bypass or skip bleach if you prefer. Basically it rretains all the silver in the film negative, which is usually discarded once the neg hits the bleach bath. Resulting in a more muted colour pallette. ENR is a bit different and slightly more complex. The ENR stands for the initials of he inventor, ernesto something and I think he developed it at technicolour. ENR is not used anymore, but bleach bypass is used on virtually every fincher flick, so theres an example. So the colours for a lot of the day scenes reflect this. Of course the interiours and night ext are gorgeous, dario's signature gel lights are in place and colours are vibrant. Sound, well, it sounds exactly the same as it always, which admitidlly has always sounded a bit weird in a good way, but no, the sound doesn't rock my world, it sounds just like the laser and tartan disc, well the effects are better and more punchy, but the dialogue is the same. Honestly if you just want to replace your tartan, and want to benefit from the Ab features. It will be fine. However IMO this is not the last dvd release of TRAUMA, but it probablywill be current for a while.

COMING NEXT WEEK !!!! MY DRUNK AS REVIEW OF AB"S IL CARTIO"!!!
    \SLAY TUNED.!!!! I'm kidding, but yeah, I'm gonna post comments, well just see if alan can impress me, with this one.

18. Cydeous

Cydeous Axxon N

OK, this sucks... the movie isn't uncut? Does an uncut version exist on DVD anywhere? If not then I will get the AB version, otherwise the other version. As for Il Cartaio, the lack of the Italian track is enough for me to not get it. I'll go with an R2 version, if anything.

19. killit

killit Active Member

There is a longer medusa disc.

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- The film used the ENR process(or as jonesy calls it E M R, sorry couldn't help myself--

I just looked through the book and see no mention of ENR or EMR. Still, Jones is not is a film technician, he's simply an Argento fan. Perhaps you can refer me to the text where Jones gets it wrong. Not that it makes any difference, I fail to see how typing a wrong character suggests "he knows fuck all about film". Was it on the commentary? Seems like an easy mistake to make anyway. In fact, I've already forgotten it :D