Radio Silence (German Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by CPT HOOK, Mar 7, 2015.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I saw this terrific little German horror film back in 2013 at a Film Festival (although it was titled On Air when I saw it) and have eagerly been awaiting it's release ever since. Turns out the film was finally released on blu-ray and DVD in Germany on February 27th, completely under the radar. No one had even listed it on blu-ray.com yet, I just submitted an entry.

The movie is in German, but the Amazon listing states that the blu-ray includes English subtitles. I really want to order it, but I have no idea if it's region free. I'll probably hope for the best and order it anyway, since there doesn't appear to be any imminent release here in the United States (and it took an extremely long time to even get released in it's home country).

I think I've posted about it a few times here already, but for those who might have missed it: The plot involves a pirate radio host who goads a local serial killer known as "The Night Slasher" on air. The killer ends up calling into the show, and the fate of his next victim lies in the radio host's hands.

Things start off fairly typically, but gets better and better as it goes along, and by the time the final act rolled around I was loving it. Visually gorgeous, extremely well made, lots of great cat-and-mouse, and very cleverly thought out. The final half hour is literally twist after twist after twist. Definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. I'm eager to see it again.

Trailer

[​IMG]

2. CPT HOOK

I was hoping someone somewhere out there in internet land would have picked up the disc and checked out the region coding by now, but after countless Google searches I couldn't find any confirmation. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anyone else has even seen the movie or has much interest in it. So I went ahead and rolled the dice, hoping it'd be region free...

Unfortunately, the disc is definitely region B locked. Confirmed on my Sony player, but I went ahead and plugged it into my Pioneer player to see if the good ol' TOP MENU trick works (the trick I use to watch my region-locked Arrow blu-rays). The TOP MENU trick actually brought up the main menu, which seemed promising. I thought I had it, but as soon as you try to play the movie or watch any of the special features, you get the region locked screen again. So close, yet so far!

Oh well. If and when I do get a region free player, it'll be sitting on the shelf waiting. I did snap a picture of the menu with my phone if anyone is curious about the special features on the disc. Back of the case says it's 92 minutes worth. There's also an audio commentary under the audio options. Only audio track is German, there is no English dub track. There are optional English subtitles.

Was really looking forward to checking this out again. For those of you who are region free, I'd highly recommend giving the movie a try. It's a great little German slasher flick that unfortunately no one will probably ever see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  3. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

It has been on my list of Blu-rays to get for a while, I'm just not sure when I'll grab it. When I'll do I will report back unless somebody beats me to the punch.

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It is only about $12.00 which is cheap enough for a blind buy. Shipping would be the only real consideration.

5. CPT HOOK

I usually wait until I have multiple items to order, since shipping for additional items is only like 50 cents.

I ordered two blu-rays and shipping was only EUR 3,48, which is cheaper than it costs to ship a single blu-ray domestic from Amazon US.

6. CPT HOOK

Now available to stream free for AnazonPrime users!

Check it out and report back!