Rate/Comment on A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Sep 13, 2004.

?

Rate/Comment on A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

1. 10

44.7%
  2. 9.5

12.8%
  3. 9

17.0%
  4. 8.5

2.1%
  5. 8

6.4%
  6. 7.5

6.4%
  7. 7

8.5%
  8. 6.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 6

2.1%
  10. 5.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 4.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 3.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 1.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wes Craven's best film. Almost everything about it is flawless. The mood is tense, Freddy is terrifying, there are some pretty legit scares and it's quite well acted. The ending is rather lame though and takes away from the film a bit. 9/10.

~Matt

2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

It's a good movie, but I'm not as much in love with it anymore, as when I was in my teens.

That ending is horrible. Wish they didn't use that "disco/star trek transporter" effect, when he fades away.
    And the dummy, being pulled through the small window in the door, hilarious :D

The first and third are the only ones I watch these days.
    I used to like part four, but now I just can't stand the MTV look, and Freddy becoming TOO much of a comedian.
    And most of the deaths are just too silly.

I wish part three was the last one.

3. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

A solid 10. One of the best of Craven's films and one of the most iconic and creative characters in horror film history got his introduction.

4. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

10. Cravens best by a long margin. Doesn't unravel after the characters are set in place like some of his other films. Plus I am just sentimental over it. In the early eighties I was in a high school art class painting and using the New York Times as a table protector. That day there was a full page newspaper ad for this film. Tore that out and folded it in a textbook to hang on the closet door. So that Friday night I get to go to the movies and walked in a few minutes late: here's this girl rolling across the ceiling and you know the rest. Stayed for the second showing to fill in the blanks. In retrospect it was really cool to see it the day it came out; obviously the whole Freddy zeitgeist wouldn't arrive until later (a couple of weeks- literally!). It was cool to be at the front of the line for that slice of pop culture history.

Natas likes this.
  5. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

upload_2016-11-3_7-39-54.jpeg

One of the first horror movies I ever saw, scared the bejesus out of me. My mother couldn't walk me down the Halloween costume aisle without me seeing a Freddy mask and losing my shit. I've probably seen it 30+ times now, and it's an almost perfect horror film.

6. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

That's incredible, man...... Wasn't this released on the exact same day as Silent Night Deadly Night? If you tell me you caught both at the theaters around the same time, consider me bowing at your awesomeness.

I would have been right there next to ya, bud.......except I was 7 months old. :D.... I did see it waaay younger than I rightfully should have though, probably 5-6 years old.

7. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I rated a 7, my favourite is part 3, now that's a movie!

8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I forgot about how fucking awesome the beginning is when he's making the glove. Super creepy and really puts you on edge. Sets the tone of the movie perfectly.

I've always loved part 2. The gay subtext is absolutely hilarious. Part 3 and New Nightmare are also great. And it's interesting to see how he would further develop the concept of New Nightmare in the Scream series.

It's obvious too how much Craven borrowed from Nightmare when he made Shocker (still don't understand why it's so hated - it's not his best but it's far from his worst).

I've been on a bit of a Craven kick lately. Hills Have Eyes, Shocker, Swamp Thing, Deadly Blessing...the last few I found to be seriously underrated. Deadly Friend and Hills Have Eyes Part 2 I think are probably his worst movies.

~Matt

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Deadly Friend is by far his worst. I refuse to even have it in my collection.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

That's what happens. The man really was one hell of a talent.

The only word to describe Swamp Thing is underrated. I think the PG vibe throws people off. (Not that it ever seems to be a dealbreaker when it comes to stuff like The Monster Squad or The Gate.) How can people not orgasm when they get Wes Craven + Adrienne Barbeau + Harry Manfredini together in one film??

By the way, I do this anywhere I can, here's why Barbeau is the Ultimate Scream Queen: she's the only actress to have acted for Romero (Creepshow), Carpenter (The Fog), and Craven (Swamp Thing). Everyone has to admit that seriously gives her an edge.

Can't agree with Deadly Blessing though, that thing is a mess. It's not even visually interesting. It's not suspenseful. The characters aren't worthwhile. Why would anyone stick their neck out for this movie? I can't imagine anything people see in it. It's kind of a royal disaster. At least Deadly Friend had an amazing gory death scene and some good music.

Shocker is his most stylish movie. It's actually so damn visually spectacular, it kind of makes me wonder if Craven had some kind of alternate, style over substance identity hidden inside himself waiting to bust out. Because, after People Under the Stairs, I'm not sure he ever made another movie like this. Not that the camerawork in New Nightmare (i.e.: every scene in the kitchen, the reveal of Robert's painting, Heather's bed when the claw comes up, the reveal of Nancy's fictional house being in reality, the chipmunk statue in the park), and especially the Scream's wasn't ambitious.

Deadly Friend is better than Deadly Blessing and Vampire in Brooklyn. I also really like, yes I'm not quite done gusting over Deadly Friend yet, how the protagonist is an amalgam of both Dan and West from Re-Animator- so he's portrayed as both brokenhearted and drunk-with-power enough that he would attempt the experiment. Which might not make any logical sense (the details of the experiment), but I thought it was interesting dramatic manipulation. Maybe almost downright subversive. She was a domestic abuse victim, he was a socially awkward (sorta) prodigal genius type. They "found each other" and... suddenly he was plagued with weird nightmares so he loses her because the robot takes over sorta like Christine if Christine was terrorizing her owner and possessed his human love interest instead... Okay, so: studio tampering. That's the only reason it doesn't all add up.

11. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Deadly Friend is not "good" but I have a huge soft spot for it. I also think the book it was based on is absolutely terrific. I mean, as pop horror goes, it is great, and the book would make an amazing film in the right hands.

12. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

I wanted to watch the remake during Halloween. I missed out. But I did find this which is relevant to this topic.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/dekker-why-the-elm-street-reboot-failed/

Usually actors aren't upfront when something sucks. I think Rooney Mara said it was bad too. The original Nightmare on Elm Street, like Halloween is one of the best horror movies ever made. Both scared me to death when I was a kid.