Rate/Comment on A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by horror addict, Sep 15, 2004.

?

Rate/Comment on A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

1. 10

4.2%
  2. 9.5

4.2%
  3. 9

5.6%
  4. 8.5

6.9%
  5. 8

16.7%
  6. 7.5

8.3%
  7. 7

25.0%
  8. 6.5

8.3%
  9. 6

5.6%
  10. 5.5

1.4%
  11. 5

2.8%
  12. 4.5

1.4%
  13. 4

2.8%
  14. 3.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 3

4.2%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

1.4%
  18. 1.5

1.4%
  19. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rock

Rock Member

Hated it...they all sucked for that matter...even the original could've been much better...

2. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Superb entry... it was the first one I ever saw, so perhaps it's just nostalgia, but I thought this one was quite good. I gave it an 8.

3. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

Having Freddy, "the essence of evil" running around a pool hunting down teenagers twice the size of him was sooooooooo funny but for all the wrong reasons.
    Good direction, idiotic script.

4. The Chaostar

Also, remember the line when the bird explodes?
    "I must have left the gas open" or something like that. LOL!

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I saw this today for the first time since I guess it came out. After reading so many negative reviews I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I thought it had a nice dark and sinister tone to it. I would say it's underrated and would give it about a 7 closing in on 7.5.

6. The Chaostar

When Freddie started chasing teenagers twice the height of him around a pool it looked stupid. It got stupid.

There are some good scenes though, the director would eventualy make THE HIDDEN. That's probably the most positive comment I can think of. Still though... 6.5. You can't dismiss Freddie - it's not a wise choice...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

It was okay and had its moments- I gave it a 7

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I give it a 7.

The gay themes in the script were cleverly used on a character's pathology level. But to hear all these years later that the director had no idea they were in the script is kind of disheartening. Are we supposed to believe that everyone in the filmmaking community in the '80s was coked out of their brain and couldn't tell the kid was gay in the script? Then to hire an actor who is clearly gay to play a part with gay tones out the yin-yang?

Anyway, I thought the character of Jesse was interesting. And to see him pull away from his life more and more was surprisingly deep for this kind of movie. And his life in high school wasn't a cliche. He was basically a weird kid (sometimes, looking downright "goth" - pay close attention to his eyes, especially in the opening), a loner, and an outcast in various stages of his meltdown. But he wasn't picked on or bullied, he had friends, and they were supportive without beating the dead horse, y'know? They always offered to help and gave him a choice to either take it or leave it. And something inside him made him reject their help. I thought that was interesting. Usually, in a high school teen movie, when there's a weird kid or outcast, you just have bullies and nasty parents and teachers and stuff like that.

The movie gave a real fresh perspective on this kind of story. And the actor playing Jesse had that scene where he was clearly diving into his personal life onscreen. And that took real bravery. I really believed he was in intense pain. That 'blood on my hands' scene is just incredibly uncomfortable. It hurt to watch. And you just never get to see that kind of painful intimacy with actors in a low budget horror movie.

Plus, I thought the camerawork and special effects were at the very least interesting. The makeup effect with Freddy's flesh melting at the end was awesome. The "brain" scene was cool, too. That scene where the camera starts in the basement with the furnace fire and moves all the way up the stairs to the ground floor then all the way up to the 2nd floor and down the hall and into the sister's room - that was amazing. And other than that, there were a lot of little touches I liked. I didn't expect lightning to strike inside the house, so that caught me off guard. I liked Lisa's best friend, who seemed to have no name, and says the strangest things at the most bizarre moments. She looked very out of it and she's great in the "it's all over" ending, which I liked better than the original Nightmare's car and front door ending. The actress playing Lisa was a very good actress and I liked her. And notice, that at a certain point, she becomes the main character? So the movie did have a heroine. It was 75% Jesse's movie and 25% Lisa's movie. Plus, the pool party scene had some very good moments - before Freddy jumps out and starts slicing people.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Great insight DVD-fanatic-9. I agree the film is interesting and isn't as dismissable as some may think.

10. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I gave it a 9 totally underrated gem! This movie made more sense to me then the rest of the pointless sequels.

11. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Wowww, I just revisited this one since 10 or so years...and f*cking loved it. Can't believe I used to consider it one of the worst sequels, now it's right on top with 1 and 3 (until I go back to New Nightmare maybe, other one I haven't seen in a long time). Totally underrated, loved the dark atmosphere, mean spirited Freddy (in this one, I think he's the evilest), great performances, good dialogs, great FX (opening sequence is awesome), great casting...don't care about the gay undertones or rules breaking (Fred into reality). Everything works fine and adds to the creepiness. 5 thumbs up.

12. Clayton

Clayton New Member

9.5...this is my second favorite in the series after three. I always wondered why so many people hated it...it's creepy and weird and has a great atmosphere. Anything after three aside from new nightmare is complete garbage anyways.

13. deepred

deepred Member

Interesting new article in Advocate with Mark Patton. A new documentary is coming called, "There is No Jesse"

14. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

A solid 8 easily one of my favorite sequels in the series.

15. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

7 from me. I dig it.

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

good article. i'd forgotten he was gay, and had no idea he was HIV positive. it's cool that he's making his own documentary using Nightmare as his jumping off point. i have to wonder how many more Elm St. alumni are planning to do the same, after him and Heather Langenkamp...

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

NOES 2 is very high on my list of Used-To-Hate-It movies. At the time I thought it was awful but, as the years go by, I like it more and more--it is now one of my favorite 80s slashers. Kudos to Mark for coming out (no pun intended) the other side and being able to put so many demons to rest. Hollywood sounds awful, regardless of the decade.

18. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

liked it better than the later goofy ones cause it still had freddy in the shadows more, we didn't really see him up close a whole lot. It still had the feel of the first one. I didn't care for him becoming less scary and more of a wise jokster and his sweater got newer and his face looked like it was healing..

19. Christy

Christy Member

I gave it a 2 I really didn't care for it found it weak. Though it had it's moments it didn't do the original any justice. Dream Warriors more then makes up for this turkey.

20. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I liked it better than 3-6, because it still had that original type feel to it, freddy was still dark and in the shadows, rather than the comedian wise cracker he became in later films. Despite the fact that his sweater got newer and burn marks on his face were healing. in later films. Now. I did like NEW NIGHTMARE.. at least they tried something different...