Rate/Comment on Evil Dead

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Sep 2, 2004.

?

Rate/Comment on Evil Dead

1. 10

40.0%
  2. 9.5

7.5%
  3. 9

20.0%
  4. 8.5

5.0%
  5. 8

17.5%
  6. 7.5

2.5%
  7. 7

2.5%
  8. 6.5

5.0%
  9. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 5.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 4.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 3.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 1.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Damage

Damage Mirror Mirror

Ten. No question. The Evil Dead has it all. One of the first movies we rented back in the early days of VCRs, scared the snot out of us and we loved it. One of the first DVDs I bought too. (I have the old jewel case picture disc from Anchor Bay.)
    [​IMG]

2. satanservant

satanservant Guest

8 good horror film that imo is not a comedy but kind of sickly funny in a TCM sort of way.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  3. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

What remake?

I gave it a ten. Excellent movie. The atmosphere is probably better that many other movies because much of the movie was shot in an actual cabin in the woods. Everyone involved in the movie was interested in making the movie rather than money (Which is true of many horror movies, since "profits" seem to be hard to come by with the low budget, non-hollywood types).

4. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

10..one of my favorite films of all time.

5. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

A 9 here.

One of the films that I cut my horror fangs on...and one that still holds up very well! :)

6. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I gave it a 10 based on atmosphere, effects and gore alone. This movie scares the pants off of me when I'm watching it at night, but I will agree that the editing could have used a little work. Still, for as much money as they had to make it, it holds up pretty well. I can look past the technical faults of the movie and the less than steller acting ability of Scotty's girlfriend. I have driven past the area where they filmed and it still looks much like it did in the movie. It's easily my favourite movie of the series because I am not a big fan of part 2 or Army of Darkness.

7. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I would have given this a 7 but I am reading that Evil Dead Companion and to just know what these guys went through while filming this gets it up to a good ol 10 :) Man... shoveling cow shit... fighting the cold... exhaustion. Supoib!

8. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Oh my wheres the love? 10 easily the most perfect horror movie ever!

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  9. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Originally rated a 9. But, my heart knows this is a 10.

There are fun horror films. And then there are the benchmark horror films. When you see a scene that just puts the fucking movie out of the stratosphere. There are so many moments in The Evil Dead that are like the whole rest of the world is gone. You, this film, and where you come together are all that exist. And given how surreal this film is, that couldn't be more appropriate.

There will never be another horror film like this one. Never.

10. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Solid film. I'd give it an 8. I like the sequel much better.

11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

It starts out strong with a creepy atmosphere and pulls off some well-timed scares. I always felt the playdough finale was a bit much, and there are moments of off-key thespianism. That said, this is such an iconic movie that you can't really reduce its significance to a rating based on personal preference or cinematic quality.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I feel modern audiences are just too savvy on the ED franchise for the film to be as effective as it originally came off as. Most of the suspense hinges on the audience believing Cheryl to be the final girl. They lock her in the basement and keep her around as a red herring. It's a rather ingenious plot well executed; it's just that everyone and their dog knows Ash survives and lives on for two more comedic movies, a bunch of comics, and a multi-season TV show. This undoes a lot of the off kilter plot elements which made for its original suspense.

I do think that it was originally intended to be tongue-in-cheek. They go way over the top. Much of it is black humor. But the Horror does come first. And that's nothing new to the silver screen. But I'd rank the Horror/Comedy quotient kinda like this:

ED: 75%/25%
    ED2: 50%/50%
    AoD: 25%/75%

That's how I think of the series. To trot out thee ol' axiom, comedy is very subjective. And what that also means is that someone might not even think something's a joke. And that someone else can laugh at something that was never intended as a joke.

Workshed likes this.
  13. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

Evil Dead 2 - though fun never sat with me as well because 90% was shot in a studio/school and it shows. I think I ruined AOD with SO MANY viewings. the first Evil DEAD is perfect in my opinion.

14. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Active Member

I gotta ask. Does anyone else hold the sequel in such high regard because they saw it before the original? Raimi said he had to recap the first movie at the beginning of the sequel because many hadn't seen the original in the US.

The first movie was such a big hit here in 82 or whenever it was released on video AND in the theatres at the same time. it's a shame it took that for it to be re-release by New Line in the States.

15. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    10. I thought this movie was scary - enjoyably scary (not disturbing). A wild rush. Sold on the camera work! I purchased the original VHS for full price on pre-order before it was released :) because of all the Fangoria coverage that got me hyped. I was MORE impressed when I finally saw the film. Everyone I showed it to thought it was scary.

16. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

The last time I watched the film was in 2010 with my daughter. At the time I rated it an 8 so that is what I'll go with. I've seen the film seven times in total including twice theatrically. I've seen Evil Dead 2 10 times.

17. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

If I was younger, I might agree. Like in the scene where Ash shoots demon/zombie-Cheryl through the door and you see the fake-blood tube sticking out of the face appliance. Was that intentional? No. Did it change the horror genre? No. Everyone else kept trying to hide the seams.

Besides, it's a meta movie anyway. The camerawork is right out of an Argento, the possession storyline is totally Exorcist, the setup is very Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the music has a vibe of The Shining (at least / especially when Ash buries Linda), the splatter and the nightmarish feel is all Euro yet its extremely lo-tech at every interval like Night of the Living Dead. If Raimi and co decide to work in a little Ray Harryhausen at the last minute, how is that not keeping in spirit of what the movie's been all along? (I've actually been told this is a reference to Equinox, but I haven't seen that just yet.)

russweiss likes this.