Rate Comment on Hellraiser (1987)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Sep 13, 2004.

?

Rate Comment on Hellraiser (1987)

1. 10

17.5%
  2. 9.5

7.9%
  3. 9

25.4%
  4. 8.5

17.5%
  5. 8

12.7%
  6. 7.5

4.8%
  7. 7

11.1%
  8. 6.5

1.6%
  9. 6

1.6%
  10. 5.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 4.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 3.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 1.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I gave it an 8. Thought it was a good horror film, but I felt the story and acting were a tad weak.

2. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

A solid 9. One of the best horror films of that period, and also one of the most original.

3. zombiexfan

zombiexfan Guest

i really didnt get into them all, not my cup of tea with any of these

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Like A Nightmare on Elm Street, I don't think all of this movie stands the test of time. Some of the special effects don't look very good (especially those closeups of hooks going into that bad pink whatever it was, and those bad dummy of Kirsty's father in the feather nightmare) or it's not as gory as it could be. So, it has to rely on mood and characterization. I thought Kirsty wasn't a very well-written character and Ashley Laurence's performance was a little lacking. One second she's so tough, then the next she's crying and hysterical? I didn't really buy it. Plus, the music is really stiff and repetitive. And I hate that ugly orange worm thing.

But, Claire Higgins was excellent and her story was very interesting. I thought Larry and Frank were just interesting enough to add to the film instead of detract. Pinhead and the Cenobites looked amazing. And there really are a lot of moments you never forget (like that scene where Julia and the first victim are talking in that dark corner as the camera moves closer to their faces, I also personally loved the bloody I.V. bag). And some wicked dialogue. And the whole theme of the movie is pretty interesting. Since, Ichi the Killer kind of handled the S&M-bondage-pleasure and pain thing a little better. But this one has Cenobites.

5. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Re watched this the other night and I can't believe I gave this a 7. It's so original, nightmarish and sophisticated . Good acting all around, really there isn't much to complain about. I can kind of see why I didn't appreciate it as much as I should of when I was a kid, this was a horror film made for adults. I would up my rating to at least an 8.

6. DVD-fanatic-9

^ Same here. I feel a little ashamed now after taking a much closer look at it. I was WOWED, shot after shot. This thing works. I think I would go 7.5 though, because Kirsty is such a weak character. And Larry's not so great either.

7. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I've given the first movie 7.5. Maybe it's familiarity breeding contempt - watched it at the cinema on its release and then have owned it on VHS, LD (both p&s version and deluxe signed box) and Anchor Bay DVD tin. Countless viewings later and I prefer its sequel, Hellbound. Both installments are infinitely preferable to the dross that followed - finished the 8th movie earlier this year. The less said, the better....

8. DVD-fanatic-9

Actually... I think Hell on Earth is a little more tolerable than Hellbound. Though I would never attempt to test that against other people. I just almost turned Hellbound off twice while it was on. It was AWFUL!

9. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

An easy 9. This film is brilliant. One of the last truly 100% original concepts in the horror genre. The movie is also very multi-faceted- tackling aspect of pyschological, supernatural, religious & physical horror all at once.
    I love the unrelentingly dark, dank & dirty cinematography. As such, props to Anchor Bay for releasing this in all its grainy glory on Blu!

10. SaxCatz

SaxCatz New Member

I so totally disagree with just about everything you ever say!
    We'll have to make sure to never participate in a movie night together!!! :D

11. The Chaostar

The Chaostar Johnny Hallyday forever

I gave it an 8. A bit favoringly but it did gave me goosbumbs when I was a teenager. The concept it still great and the first restrained part is almost a masterpiece of pure cinematic storytelling. The cenobytes are cool too. However, when Pinhead starts serving me cheap philosophies (sado/nihilism for 13 year olds) it turns me off a bit today because it is so obvioys Barker does it 'cause he doesn't want to get too deep and wants to impress teenagers with cheap refferences ("Jesus wept"... I mean, come on!). He is so much smarter than what the film offers in the end. And in the finale the movie just throws all the potential away and becomes just another monster movie.

Still a good movie though. Especially for the genre.

12. Terry44

Terry44 Member

Never got sick or bored with this movie no matter how many times I watch it, Loved it since its cinema release and doubt I will ever tire of its originality. 10/10 without a doubt.

13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah I agree that line was iffy. I don't remember too many of those lines though and I disagree about the (sado/nihilism for 13 year olds) the subject matter was dark, adult and ahead of it's time. When I was a teenager Sadomasochism was barley talked about. We were too busy trying to get laid, that wasn't even on the radar.

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    You know, I saw this the night it was released in '87. I remember not being really that thrilled with it because the poster gave a different impression than what the movie was really about. It seemed to be the latest Freddy/boogeyman movie. "He'll tear your soul apart..." the ads proclaimed. Instead the biggest villian in the film was the evil stepmother. It was a great story but I just wasn't following it and I was actually yawning by the close of the picture.
    It took a VHS viewing a year later for me to appreciate it. I saw the sequel on Christmas Eve in '88 and, boy, did that kill a joyous mood. ;) I liked the sequel better because it was this huge bizarre fantasy - someone was on a serious acid trip to come up with that. I loved it.

15. DVD-fanatic-9

Yeah, fuck you too. :rolleyes:

It's really cute to see someone geek out over a movie like this the way I do over Jason Takes Manhattan, but honestly... the film isn't made of steel- the floors do wobble quite a bit.

I already agreed above that a 7 is short-changing the film, visually. But man, the characters need work. And... do you honestly believe Kirtsy ever looked that scared? Her eyes may say yes, but her tomboyish physicality says, "hey, dude, I'm outta here! Watch me run away without any serious trouble doing so."

Now... there are fans of the genre that literally say Night and Dawn suck because the zombies move too slowly and they're too easy to get away from. I laugh at them, but not every film can get away with this kind of thing. Hellraiser... bad timing, but Kirsty is weak. I love the actress too. But Kirsty is weak.

16. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I loved the first three films in the series & then it went straight to hell from there ( No pun intended) Damn Miramax.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I'd give this film a very solid 8. It's never been one of my top 10 or anything, but i can't really think of anything to say against it, based on my own experience watching it. This was one of the more viscerally upsetting films that i remember seeing as a teenager. In particular, the scene where Andrew Robinson cuts his hand on the nail has always made me cringe.

i must have missed any past mention of this. i just watched it again as part of a recent friday the 13th marathon, and it was terrible. all i can guess is that you dig on it for some abstract reason - personal association, love of the era, a fondness for Young & the Restless alumni, etc. Because as a film, it fails on pretty much every level i can think of.

but please, tell me why...

18. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

My thoughts exactly. :evil: I love Hellraiser with a passion ever since first seeing it in the theater upon its original release. I'll never tire of it.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

Actually, the way I worded it, I didn't pretend it was a great film (although I do firmly believe it is- ask anyone). I have already explained it so many times, doing it again would merely derail this topic.

But I'll put it to you this way- the nail scene in Hellraiser? Couldn't look more fake. Even as a kid, I never reacted to it. But, you did. Even though, again, it's faker than a boob job. This is a wonderful example, because you can't really be sure who I'm saying is delusional- you or me. Either you saw the real Hellraiser and I didn't or I saw the real JTM and you didn't.

20. j tea

j tea New Member

8.5, I think it is one of the most original horror films of the last 30 years (ie, post Halloween/F13). Every time I see it (once a yearish), I am struck by the richness of the mythology all entrenched in that first movie. I do get bummed with the ending every time though. That creature coming to the front door just looks bad and the bit with the homeless guy catching on fire seemed unnecessary (spoiler alert!!!).