Rate/Comment on Pumpkinhead (1988)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Jun 3, 2011.

?

Rate/Comment on Pumpkinhead (1988)

1. 10

8.6%
  2. 9.5

2.9%
  3. 9

8.6%
  4. 8.5

20.0%
  5. 8

34.3%
  6. 7.5

11.4%
  7. 7

8.6%
  8. 6.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 5.5

2.9%
  11. 5

2.9%
  12. 4.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 3.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 1.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Just saw this yesterday for the first time in years. Didn't find a Rate/Comment poll on it so here you go. Stan Winston's Pumpkinhead (1988).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Solid 8/10.

3. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since I last watched this but I remember enjoying it.

Attached Files:

4. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I loved this movie, Lance Hendrikson is awesome & how can you go wrong with Stan Winston?

5. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

A Gnome Named Gnorm :p

6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i've always found this to be a film that's somewhat less than the sum of it's parts, but it still ends up being pretty good. i was pretty underwhelmed seeing it for the first time on video, but it's got a lot of charm, and you can tell that the people behind it all had their hearts in the right places. i enjoy it more each time i see it. 7.5

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I remember being fond of it but would like to see it again.From memory I'd say an 8. Maybe it'll show up at one of the horror fests that I regularly attend.

8. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Solid 9 from me- love this movie

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Title creature was well done in my opinion, plus a great performance from Lance Henriksen. I also like the scenery and atmosphere on display. Ideal for watching around Halloween. 8.5 out of 10, maybe a 9.

10. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I REALLY want to see this again in widescreen but it's not on Netflix: Watch Instant and my DVD queue is way too full.

I can't put my finger on it but the last time I watched it, I was not impressed. At all. Apart from how obviously heavy-handed the whole ultra-strong/psycho asshole biker attacks and threatens his friends section of the movie was. And how underwhelming nearly all the acting was. Most of the bikers couldn't act, the kids couldn't act, the adults were boring, and Henriksen rushed through nearly his entire performance.

5 - for the atmosphere, sets, what little color there was, and whatever about the witch was effective. Still leaps and bounds better than Scarecrows!

11. Fumi

Fumi Member

8/10. Definitely above average.

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I will be generous and give it a 10! This movie is incredibly underrated. Definitely seek out the widescreen version, I appreciated it even more after seeing the new DVD. Prior to that, I don't think I fully realized how atmospheric this film really is. The cinematography is terrific.

13. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Love the creature, love the atmosphere, love Lance. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good.

14. Dobby

Dobby Banned Mofo

Definitely a solid 9 as it's not exactly a perfect film.

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

When I saw this back in the 80s, I loved it. The creature, the color palate and atmosphere, the acting from Henriksen, and the fairy tale morality structure of the whole thing really impressed me. There was nothing like this at the time.

But, I will admit that, as time has gone on, the flaws stood out a bit more. The kids are very annoying and the whole set-up getting to the revenge motivation is pretty forced. And, as stunning as the visuals are, there is something a bit off about the pacing. So, that drags it down a bit for me now.

Still, it is a film that I love and, even with the flaws, it's still one of the more original films and a stunning directorial debut from Winston that really makes me wish he had more time in the chair.

So, young naive me would have given this a 9.5 or maybe 10. But the old, jaded, bitter, cynical me of today says a solid 8.5

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

8/10

Just watched PUMPKINHEAD for the first time and was very impressed. Despite being a big fan of Alec Gillis, Stan Winston, Tom Woodruff and Lance Henriksen I wasn't that interested in PUMPKINHEAD until Shout released special features packed set. I figured even if its just some dopey late-80's monster flick I'll certainly enjoy the featurettes with Gillis, Woodruff and Henriksen. But honestly, I was floored by how good PUMKINHEAD is. It's not just top-notch creature effects. The story and characters are quite engaging. Henriksen nails the part, but I also dug the witch and Pumkinhead. I wasn't expecting the writers and Woodruff to give that monster so much personality. Much was made about Pumpkinhead being "just a slasher movie" in parts of the featurette, but that fit with my tastes quite nicely. After a re-visit I might have to consider PUMPKINHEAD as one of my favorite 80's horror films.

Now conversely, PUMPKINHEAD 2 is a turd. I'm so thankful that the sequel had a nice long chat with the director on the disc. Because my biggest problem with Pumpkinhead 2 is that it felt like the producers had a script for a generic slasher movie that they shoe-horned Pumkinhead into. The director confirmed my suspicion. It's a damn shame Pumkinhead didn't get a proper sequel. That franchise had more to offer.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  17. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yea I have always been a big fan of this movie- maybe not the sequels - but the original rocks

18. Christy

Christy Active Member