Rate/Comment on Suspiria

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Sep 1, 2004.

?

Rate/Comment on Suspiria

1. 10

28.2%
  2. 9.5

8.5%
  3. 9

19.7%
  4. 8.5

5.6%
  5. 8

8.5%
  6. 7.5

7.0%
  7. 7

8.5%
  8. 6.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 6

2.8%
  10. 5.5

1.4%
  11. 5

2.8%
  12. 4.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 4

1.4%
  14. 3.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

1.4%
  18. 1.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 1

4.2%
  20. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Severn

Severn Member

I voted 9.5. The guy has a way of making dead women look beautiful. Great looking movie.

2. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I love it! I gave it an 8, which probably is a bit low, but I think it's pretty accurate.

3. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I gave it a 9. The story isn't great but the cinematography is incredible, and the the soundtrack is one of my favourites ever. The opening death is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen on film. The acting is good and the atmosphere is effective. Definetly one of Argento's best, even though it is very slightly overrated.

4. satanservant

satanservant Guest

9.5 Almost my favorite Argento butI have a great fondness for Tenebre. Still one of the best horror films ever.

5. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Watching Suspiria is akin to attending a rock concert for horror fans.

Don't stress the plot (because there really isn't much of one there)..just crank your system up and enjoy the show! :)

A 9.

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

A definite 10 for Suspiria. A masterpiece on several levels, and Argento's best film in my eyes. It contains some of the most beautiful imagery ever caught on celluloid, and the score is one of the greatest scores in film. Also, while many say the story is weak, I disagree, and quite enjoy the story that is present. Outstanding film.

7. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

7 for me. Its not a bad film. I like the visuals and the look of most of the shots and all. Story just didn't interest me that much. Awesome score though, one of the best I've heard.

8. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

10.A very stylish nightmare/fairytale.One of Argento's best IMO.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I just revisited Suspira for about the 10th time but for the first time on my 61" DLP. I just seem to love this movie more and more each time I see. It's like no other horror film ever made. It's feels like an adult Alice an wonderland with it's amazing dream like atmosphere, beautiful sets, lighting and music. I mean you can take almost any shot from this film and frame it. How can anyway not see this as anything but a horror masterpiece. Why Argento varied so drastically in the look and feel of Mother of Tears is beyond me. If this film ever gets an HD release I don't know if I would watch anything else I think I would just keep it on repeat. I guess I voted 8.5 when i made this poll but it's easily a 9 now and going up.

10. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Love this movie- only part I wasnt wild about was the scene with the bat- so silly it kinda ruined the mood of the film a bit- this is one movie I would love to see in Hi-Def

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

10. A true Italian masterpiece. There's never been anything like it before and there'll never be anything like it after.

12. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

13. Aldous

Aldous New Member

_

Did anyone else catch this reflection of DA in Suspiria?

[​IMG]

14. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I gave it a 7 cause as good as it is, I still like Opera better.

15. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I know there are a lot of fans of this movie and Argento in general, but I cannot, in the case of Suspiria or any other Argento film, understand the attraction. Trust me, I've tried and tried but can only find his films mind numbingly BORING. I am a huge Fulci fan and even love some of Bava's work but Argento never, ever appealed to me. I know opinions are like assholes and I certainly appreciate the fact that he has the fanbase that he has, to each his own, but I'll be damned if I can understand it. I'd have voted zero in the poll above if it had been an option. Maybe someone can help me understand what I'm missing here, seriously, but sitting through Suspiria felt like I was doing it for a school project. I can still remember my reaction after seeing it for the first time. I honestly started to question my own fanaticism as a horror fan wondering how I could absolutely loathe a film that is so beloved in the majority of the communal fanbase of my peers. I even revisited it years later when I was much older thinking I would see or notice things that I hadn't before and it was even harder to get through a second time.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Well Mikey, you're gonna stir up a hornets nest with that one. But at least you're respectful about it (I recall a message board posting, not this one obviously, where someone said "Suspiria sucks, it's a poorly made film, and anyone who likes it doesn't know good movies. I know good movies, and this is not one")

Since you do want help in understanding it, let's get a few questions out of the way.

Age? (since you mention "school project")
    Are you into ALL of Fulci's films, or just the excessively violent ones he made in the early 80s?
    Which are "some" of Bava's films they you loved?

You might be able to tell I'm getting at something here. As in, nothing in Argento's output compares to The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, Zombie, etc. But there's a definite similarity in the giallo films. I.E., Don't Torture a Duckling, A Lizard in a Woman's Skin, and the Psychic definitely fall along the lines of Deep Red, The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, and Tenebrae.

Same thing with Bava, although his work is much more similar to Argento's (actually, that statement is kind of backwards)

Suspiria is a melting of sights and sounds, at the expense of a coherent plot. Don't even bother with Inferno if you don't appreciate that. If you haven't seen a large collection of Argento's films, try something more accessible like Opera. For the record, I too was unimpressed by Argento the first couple of times, then I saw Opera and something just "clicked". Not that it's his best film, just that it's more......conventional than a lot of his other work. From that point on, I've enjoyed his stuff way more, and was also able to appreciate the films I didn't like on first viewing.

Finally, if you've seen some of his crappier films (Trauma, The Card Player, Phantom of the Opera, Mother of Tears), that could be a factor. Stick to the more famous ones, like some of those that I've already mentioned.

17. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

I'm 34 and have been a fan of the genre since childhood. I grew up on the Friday, Nightmare and Halloween series' just like many others my age and as I got older started digging deeper into the lesser known "underground" horror. You are correct in your assumption that my tastes for Fulci come from City of the Living Dead, House by the Cemetery, The Beyond, New York Ripper and as far as Bava, I love Bay of Blood (Twitch of the Death Nerve) Black Sunday and Blood and Black Lace. By all accounts I should love Argento, but Suspiria just bored me to tears. I haven't seen the latter part of his catalog such as The Card Player, Mother of Tears, etc. I know Argento is more of a visual director. His movies are less about plot and more just a visual assault on the viewer, but the same has been said about Fulci. Granted, most of Fulci's work that I love, with the exception of New York Ripper are his zombie offerings, so maybe that has something to do with it, but hey, a world where everyone shares the same opinions and tastes is not a world I would want to be a part of. What works for some, fails for others and varying opinions and friendly discussions are what brings me to places like this to begin with.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  18. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I give Suspiria a 9. As a cinematic assault on the senses, I don't think it can be topped. All of the major set pieces are masterfully staged. The cinematography and vivid color palette are breath-taking. And Goblin contributes their best work.

I don't think it's the greatest horror film ever. Argento seems to consider plots and dialogue necessary evils to get him to the next big shock scene. And though he sometimes overcomes that tendency, he doesn't here. This is an episodic film even by his standards. So I can see why Suspiria leaves some North Americans cold.

Of all the European horror auteurs, Argento's more avant-garde work seemed the most alien and impenetrable to me before I became familiar and comfortable with less structured story-telling. If you've only seen Suspiria once and you're not sure what the fuss is about, watch it again. Freed of certain expectations it's an entirely different experience. The dream logic definitely distanced me from the film the first time I saw it. But once I went back for seconds I was able to sit back and appreciate the artistry without bemoaning the lack of a typical American narrative line.

FYI, the Region B Blu-ray is a big upgrade from the Anchor Bay DVD. Contrast gets a little blown out at times. And the sound definitely leans toward the high end. But the majority of the film looks and sounds better than it ever has.

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

One of the best designed and visually striking horror films of the color era and a showcase for fans of the Italian rockers Goblin.It's a dreamlike film punctuated with some wonderful shock scenes.If you ever get a chance to catch it on the big screen,do.I happened to catch it at The American Film Institute's Silver Theater last Halloween (after a screening of DAWN OF THE DEAD) and it truly is a film you cannot fully appreciate unless you've seen it in a theater.9.5.

20. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

Awesome movie highlighted by Goblin's score and Argento's direction. 8.