Rate/Comment on Tenebre (1982)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Oct 5, 2004.

?

Rate/Comment on Tenebre (1982)

1. 10

38.6%
  2. 9.5

2.3%
  3. 9

18.2%
  4. 8.5

15.9%
  5. 8

11.4%
  6. 7.5

6.8%
  7. 7

4.5%
  8. 6.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 6

2.3%
  10. 5.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. 4.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 3.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 1.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

An 8. Probably the last really good Argento.

2. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

What about Opera?

3. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Hated OPERA, gave it a 3 in an earlier poll.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  4. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

I gave it a 9. Probably my fave giallo by Argento.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Gave it a 10. Tenebre is one of Argento's best films. Great cast and the soundtrack is my most listened to of all Argento movies. Hoping a re-release of the dvd arrives in the near future.

6. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I think Tenebre has become my favorite Argento film since voting in this thread. :D

7. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Fantastico.

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Amazingly stylish and bloody and... well, everything you'd want from an Argento film. Except... it doesn't seem to have a point. It's so sleazy, that I think it should have some kind of point to it.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "what's the point". It has a plot, the killer has a motive. Other then that what's the point of any film? To entertain it’s target audience. That's the only point I need.

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  10. DVD-fanatic-9

It's been argued by Argento haters that his movies are all style and no substance. Do you think that's true?

11. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Argento haters can argue that his entire library is style and no substance. I would say that you can find substance within the style :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  12. DVD-fanatic-9

Post erased by original author (me) for being too stupid.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  13. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Why does a film have to have a deeper meaning though? Especially one that you can easily articulate. I mean that's great and all and I'm sure one can find depth and meaning in Tenebre if they dig deep. I'm sure it's been done. When it's all said and done though and we look at the classic horror films isn't it the visceral impact that is the most important aspect? Argento in almost all his films is attempting to recreate the feeling of having a nightmare. In a nightmare not everything makes sense, things are there when they shouldn't be and other things don't appear to look quite right. It's an experience that you need to buy into. Some people buy into it whole heartingly and some people think it's rubbish. It worked for you on some level that it didn't work for you friend.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's rare that I agree with DVD-Fanatic-9 (in particular his obnoxious and self-righteous "education"), but he's got a point with Tenebrae.

I also have a "what's the point?" feel about the movie. And I refer to things like the famous camera crawl. Sure, it's COOL...but does it represent the point-of-view of the killer? No. Does it provide insight on to the girls? No. I think it's just Argento seeing if he could do it.

Other "pointless" things:
    -The locations. Argento purposely set it in Rome, but avoided the typical things you'd see to show the viewer it was Rome. That might be important if it was part of some motif, like he was trying to show the "true" Rome, but it's about an American writer struggling with his inner demons. Fail.
    -Lighting. Yeah, it's very bright, something you rarely see in a horror movie. And since "Tenebrae" can be translated to "Shadow", there's the idea that you must have light to have shadow. Is Argento showing the light on some underbelly of society? No, I don't think so.
    - "5 years in the future". That's Argento's own motif for the film. Granted, I didn't see it in 1982, but to me it doesn't have much bearing on the events of the movie.

One of the things of a Giallo is that there is a constant theme throughout the film, and you may not pick it up the first time, but on secondary viewings you will realize that everything is related to the plot and motive of the main character. Examples: In Bird With the Crystal Plumage, pretty much everything that Sam Dalmas encounters is NOT what it appears to be at first. And if you apply that concept to what happens at the beginning of the film, it all suddenly becomes crystal clear. In Deep Red, Marc Daly is struggling to find strength and manliness. That's his motivation throughout the entire film; to prove to everyone (or really himself) that he is a man. His best friend is gay, so he's closely associating with a homosexual which at the time was not a very positive characteristic. Gianna Brezzi constantly emasculates him. And after all this, he's still helpless at the end of the film, and realizes who he really is (hence the camera shot of the reflection).

I see none of this depth in Tenebrae. And I don't buy the "nightmare" aspect. Not in a Giallo. Suspiria and Inferno yes, but not a Giallo. In Tenebrae, while some of the events of the film do provide insight into Peter Neal's character, some things (like the murder of the lesbian couple, the shoplifter, the teenage girl) are typical random slasher fare.

None of this is to say "Tenebrae sucks". I love it. But to me it's just a fun movie, to watch Argento at work behind the camera. To enjoy the style, even if there's no point to it. Why does a film have to have a deeper meaning? Because with Argento, he's done it before with movies like The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, Suspiria, Inferno, and he would do it again later in Opera and The Stendhal Syndrome. Tenebrae is mostly a "body count" movie to me. I rated it high in this old poll, but not 9 or 10. It's a near-miss.

15. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

9.5 is what I gave it also. Really great movie to watch on a rainy day. This film takes a large long shit on other Giallos. This is how you should make a Giallo!!!!!!!!! :evil:

16. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

I meant to vote 9 but I voted 7 cuz I can't read. I think this is my favorite Argento, but it's been a few years since I've seen Suspiria and Deep Red again.

17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I agree totally. This is the definitive Giallo. Not perfect (9), but absolutely brilliant in its execution. The death scenes, locations. Even the story is rather sensible for it's kind. I tried getting into other Giallos by other directors, but they just don't compare. Argento really ups the ante on the genre like no other director does. Hence his reputation.

18. DVD-fanatic-9

Changed my mind. This is a 10. Anchor Bay's work on the film never brought the film to its full life. Synapse really fixed that.

Although... never let it be said that it's possible to get by completely unscathed: the killer's traumatic BDSM gang-assault, overpowered by a woman, phallic throat rape humiliation recovered-memory... uh... Does any of that work... at all?