Rate/Comment on The Amityville Horror (1979)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Sep 6, 2004.

?

Rate/Comment on The Amityville Horror (1979)

1. 10

2.4%
  2. 9.5

2.4%
  3. 9

7.1%
  4. 8.5

11.9%
  5. 8

7.1%
  6. 7.5

4.8%
  7. 7

14.3%
  8. 6.5

9.5%
  9. 6

9.5%
  10. 5.5

2.4%
  11. 5

14.3%
  12. 4.5

2.4%
  13. 4

2.4%
  14. 3.5

4.8%
  15. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

2.4%
  18. 1.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 1

2.4%
  20. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The film that to this day the owner still swears up and down that the events actually are based on the true story of what happened to his family. Stuart Rosenberg's The Amityville Horror.

2. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

the movie used to scare me when i was a child, but most of that was due to the fact, i believed it was true. later on when i found out it wasn't, it kind of ruined the movie for me. I picked up the dvd of the original a few years ago, and thought the movie was decent, but definately not scary. In this rare case, a remake is welcomed and I look forward to seeing it next year.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I think this film is very underrated it's gotten allot of slack over the years but I have always enjoyed watching it. It was also interesting hearing George Lutz at horror find weekend last year talking so passionately about the events to the point of tears in his eyes. I don't know if he's full of crap or not but he did have the audience at least thinking of the possibility. Hey, just the fact that in 1991 New York State actually issued a law making it illegal to sell a house knowing it is haunted makes you wonder, if George Lutz is a quack, then what can you say about the governing body of New York State.

4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

A good movie that I own on vhs that was paired together with its prequel. Slow at times but remains one of my favorite haunted house movies.

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i like this movie i gave it a 8.5 very cool after all these years but do avoid all the sequels

6. Morg

Morg Guest

This movie scared the Bee-Jesus out of me when I was a kid. After a more recent viewing I found it remotely scary. Still like the movie, a good haunted house/possession story. gave it a 7.

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

7. Had it's creepy moments. Could have been better though.

8. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

Amityville Horror is a rarity. Movie which is worse than its sequel.

I gave it a 6.

9. satanservant

satanservant Guest

6.5 Like it, but find the second one more entertaining and it's got Paulie in it.

10. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

It's a fairly decent haunted house flick with its share of (scattered) moments, but the film doesn't really build any momentum until the frenetic climax. At that point, it's too little too late. 6.5

11. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Scared me as a child, kind of cheesy in hindsight. I actually prefer Amityville II: The Possession. Diane Franklin is hot!! Gave it an 8.

12. MapleBob

MapleBob Guest

I really hated this movie and rated it 3 in this poll. The book was really, really scary and I believed it. When this movie came out, well the PR was fantastic, the ad campaign only showed the house and the tag line: For God's sake, get out!

But the movie was nothing like the book which made think the whole thing was a hoax, which I didn't want to believe.

Today, I believe there is a 75% probability it was a hoax based on things I've read and analysis of the book.

Maybe someday I'll watch the movie again and judge it on its own merits but I think that will be very hard for me to do.

13. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

I gave it an 8. I love a good haunted house movie. I think this was one of the first I had ever watched.

14. Tawny

Tawny You guys got sour balls?

I gave it a 5. After watching it recently, I am pretty sure it was all just a hoax concocted by the Lutz' to make money. The clincher was when the "ghost" stole the caterer's money. Why would a ghost steal money? It just seems too convenient. You can't afford a caterer, so let's blame it on a ghost. Anyway, the sequel is top notch, and one of the scariest movies I have seen.

15. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I agree totally about the sequel, why the heck isn't it available on region 1 dvd yet?? Anchor Bay get on this!!

16. Salty

Salty Guest

I have lived in Amityville Long Island for my entire life so I always get a kick out of the first couple of flicks even though they are pretty lame. The house looks totally different now, nothing like it did in the movie.

17. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

7. I enjoyed the movie, as well as all the sequels. The first one was the only movie that can really be considered relatively well-made. The sequels are more cheesy crap you watch on cable.

18. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I just sat and watched this, and I gave it a 2 in the poll. I can accept it's historical standing, it had quite an affect at the time of its release - but now it fails on pretty much every level.

Firstly, nothing frightening happens in the entire film, every trick it tries to play has been worn out by what followed. It's overly long at almost two hours, and some of the acting is on a par with Columbo. From detectives who do absolutely nothing in the film - despite a lot of screen time - to laughable blood dripping from the walls, it's all a bit of a snoozefest.

Brolin isn't up to the part to be honest, Kidder does okay. The little boys aren't really in the film, the little girl isn't too bad. Steiger tries hard. Everyone else is walking it.

All in all a pretty boring film if I am perfectly honest. Nice DVD though.

As for a discussion of whether it's a true story or not, well, it ain't April 1st, so I'll not bother even going there for laughs. :D

Last edited: Nov 18, 2006
  19. Fumi

Fumi Member

I give it a 5. I scared the crap out of my when I was a kid, but I don't even think I could sit through the whole thing today because Brolin is so annoying.

20. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I remember being bored with this one as a kid. I keep meaning to watch it again but I'm just not very excited about the prospect.