Rate/Comment on The Blair Witch Project (1999)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Sep 2, 2004.

?

Rate/Comment on The Blair Witch Project (1999)

1. 10

15.7%
  2. 9.5

4.3%
  3. 9

10.0%
  4. 8.5

2.9%
  5. 8

5.7%
  6. 7.5

12.9%
  7. 7

5.7%
  8. 6.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 6

2.9%
  10. 5.5

1.4%
  11. 5

4.3%
  12. 4.5

1.4%
  13. 4

4.3%
  14. 3.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 3

2.9%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

4.3%
  18. 1.5

1.4%
  19. 1

20.0%
  20. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I've always hated it, so it gets a 1. Didn't scare me, didn't entertain me.

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

A 7.5.

I saw this while in the Canadian wilderness. Some friends and I drove a half hour to the nearest town, where this was playing. We saw it, and then had to drive back into the woods and stay in our cabins. The atmosphere definitely enhanced my enjoyment.

3. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I gave it a 1, less = less in this case.

4. satanservant

satanservant Guest

8.5 Great film that is unjustly dismissed for not being real and playing the hoax angle. I wasn't part of the hype and still found the film enjoyable the first time and on repeated viewings.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Like SIXTH SENSE, this hyped-up thriller doesn't hold water. Kudos to the filmmakers for their efforts; the camera work was great and the less-is-more made it scary, but the actual story makes no sense upon dissection.

6. lakini71

lakini71 New Member

A 10+ for me. This is the only film, aside from Halloween, that still retains its full effect on me after repeated viewings.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I thought it started out interestingly enough. The interviews with the townspeople were cool, I liked the scene of them in the market or grocery store (marshmallows), and I've always liked the camerawork.

But absolutely nothing happened. And all they did was scream and swear. I guess I believed they were genuinely scaring themselves shitless. But it's pure tedium to watch a movie with characters this ignorant and annoying for over an hour and have nothing happen.

I might have rated it higher if they had gotten the deaths they deserved. But instead, the movie played it for mystery. That approach might work if the characters were less irritating people.

8. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

8.5 very effective & damn good for its time. Though by todays standards it would easily warrant a 1.

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

What are today's standards? It was only made ten years ago.

10. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

3...I'll go stand in a corner now.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I pretty much agree with this, the idea was sound but because of poor writing and poor direction (i.e. lack of both) the movie suffers miserably. I became bored out of my mind very quickly.

While I think of this as an interesting experiment, I consider it a failure in the long term. Considering the careers of all those involved never materialized that's another indicator that it was more of a happy accident then any filmmaking skill involved.

With that said I give it a 4.5; it's hardly terrible and is just below mediocre.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'm going 1 just because 0 isn't an opition.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, any movie where I can fall asleep at the theater while getting a handjob is straight up shit, and this movie is the only one where that's ever happened. In fact, it's the only time I ever fell asleep in a theater or when getting stroked, nevermind together!
    It didn't scare me, it didn't move me, it just bored me to tears so I didn't even care about the poor camera work, since I was dozing anyway. I did laugh at the snot scene, that's all I can say nice about it. To call the cast actors is a slap to the face of all Troma movies, those fuckers are oscar-worthy in comparison.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think your mind wasn't on the film. Are you sure it wasn't the lousy handjob that made you bored? :D

I rewatched this over the weekend, funnily enough - I'm upping my score to 8.5.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

See? Dwatts upped his score. Now everyone else up yours

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4/10 for me. The film inspired motion sickness on the big theater screen. Saw this while on vacation. It was a rainy day. Seem to remember some fleeting doses of suspense drowned out by awful dialogue. Never thought this film lived up to the hype.

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

No thanks. I can only echo bigdaddyhorse's words of wisdom: I'd lower mine to 0 if it was an option. :lol:

17. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I'd give the marketing of this film a 10. It takes a certain form of brilliance to be able to sell this steaming heap to such a large audience. I bet they are more than gainfully employed, as opposed to the film makers. Reality prevails.

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I give it a perfect 10 - Very smart horror film that actually tried doing something somewhat original and I found it to be very scary, especially alone with the lights out. I liked everything about it and this movie will go down as a horror classic whether the hatas like it or not<: I still think after all the hype many people expected some cgi or slasher spectacle -that or watching it with a bunch of friends that didnt want to take it seriously could totally blow the mood of the movie- It is an important piece in not only horror but movie history.

19. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I never understood why this film receives so much hatred. Perhaps because I saw it opening night, knowing nothing about it other than that it was a super low-budget film that was supposed to be scary. And, yeah, by the end, it scared me. Sure, the writing and acting were a bit amatuerish, but, then again, these were amatuers making the movie. I don't really mind that the characters behave stupidly at times (such as throwing the map in the water) because characters in horror movies have consistantly done stupid stuff and there are far worse transgressions (Laurie dropped the knife?) in other significantly "better" films. What I hoped to get out of the movie was scared. Any, by the end, I was. So, judging it as a horror film against the likes of the Shining or Night of the Living Dead, I'd give it a 7. I'd give it a casual recommendation to friends if they were looking for something different, but not if they told me that they really loved the Saw sequels.

However, when looking at the film as an indie film maker, I am in awe. Considering that this was made by, basically, 6 or 7 people, with only the most basic of production tools, I think that this is an inspirational powerhouse of a film. Add to that the marketing campaign, and this becomes a work of pure genius. William Castle could only dream of pulling off a stunt like this. So, when talking about BWP just as an indie film, it gets a solid 10. I'd say that this is mandatory viewing for anyone interested in making movies.

20. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

What about this horror film is the least bit smart?
    :eek2:
    This literally is: Jackass-The Horror Movie.