Rate/Comment on The Blair Witch Project (1999)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Sep 2, 2004.

?

Rate/Comment on The Blair Witch Project (1999)

1. 10

15.7%
  2. 9.5

4.3%
  3. 9

10.0%
  4. 8.5

2.9%
  5. 8

5.7%
  6. 7.5

12.9%
  7. 7

5.7%
  8. 6.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 6

2.9%
  10. 5.5

1.4%
  11. 5

4.3%
  12. 4.5

1.4%
  13. 4

4.3%
  14. 3.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 3

2.9%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

4.3%
  18. 1.5

1.4%
  19. 1

20.0%
  20. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Yeah bad has to be the wrong word because personally I consider it pretty flawless. It's one of the few films that I am hard pressed to think of what I would change.

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think the consensus is - the map should have been on a string, tied around the chicks neck. And the characters should have been mute. And in the end there should have been a huge CGI witch cackling: "Look, *I'm* the witch, yes, I exist! LOOK! I'm a witch!" :lol:

3. Luki

Luki New Member

Fully agree :). Gave it a 10 :eek:

4. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

I was lucky enough to see this in the Theater when it first came out. I had to sit in the second row b/c the show was pretty much sold out. I'll never forget the "seasick" feeling I had when we left the theater.

The shakey camera shots only added to the anxious atmosphere, and the end shot was a revelation.

The haters of this film need to take a deep breath, and step away. This is what supernatural film is all about.

Good stuff, this.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Before anyone reads this, I did think about whether this would go off-topic or not, but we're only 6 pages in and I really think everything that we could have said about BWP has already been said.

Well, I loved that movie that came out the same year, Nothing but Trouble, with Chevy Chase and John Candy. So call me biased, but I love "all hell breaks loose" movies with psychotic people chasing their victims through a booby-trap filled hell-house. I also loved those shots in Evil Dead 2 with the camera zooming all around the house, and People Under the Stairs had that too. It had a great energy to it that helped us get through the really "in your face," hokey message about the rich taking advantage of the poor - which I also liked about it. It was goofy which I usually hate. But it was a lot of fun! Plus there was that amazing scene with the crazy-mother/sister being chased by the people under the stairs... then she suddenly turns around and starts chasing the daughter/kidnapped girl with the knife as though the creatures weren't still chasing her. And that moment where the girl's in the house and the door suddenly slams shut and she can't get out, right at the end of the movie when you've already seen all the neighbors come to get revenge.

It's fun like Motel Hell is fun, because it's absolutely insane. And who here would say Motel Hell wasn't fun?

Well, you're speaking Japanese to me, because I really liked it. I was surprised, I admit. But like I think I already said, it's got heart. That kind of makes it feel more old-fashioned as horror. But I cared about the characters. A lot. It stirred actual emotions in me. And the acting was good (for most everyone - the abusive father was a joke and the bully had a horrible evil-laugh). And I think I also already said, it seemed inspired by Re-Animator and I hated that film. The characters seemed like morons and I didn't feel any sympathy or empathy for them. I felt those things in Deadly Friend. I also like it because the main character is one of those young prodigy, ultra-smart people who is also obsessive in a negative way, and actually has real problems. He's not Doogie Howser, who smiles it off or gets everything resolved and all that. He takes these things very hard and gets really mad. I could even relate to him, knowing I wasn't a genius. And I love Kristy Swanson. She's just awesome in everything she does. And the mother character was great.

Oh I'll never enjoy this movie. In fact, and I have to admit this bias or I won't have been completely honest: I feel like putting any kind of seal of approval on this film means condoning the behavior of the characters in it. The drinking, smoking pot (and/or talking about either activity), and not actually thinking before they speak. They talk like trailer trash. Maybe that's how college students or whoever acclimate to expressing themselves, but it's ignorant, trashy, and completely annoying. I also feel like this sort of thing comes about just because other independent filmmakers had a lot of swearing in their films. So, yeah I compare this to horror films in the 1990's and independent films in the 1990's as well. And Open Water, which felt a lot more real than this film. Because it's clear to me these dumbasses were swearing more than real young people do. Well, at least in my experience. Yeah, when they're in groups - they may do that in a way like they're trying to impress others. But you get them alone, they drop the act. That's why I also can't forgive these characters. I think they show this kind of person being more stupid than they really would be in real-life. Even people on reality television (with the lowest standards of behavior around, clearly) don't use the F word in every single sentence they utter.

As for everything else you pointed out there, I understand you've obviously done your homework. But there are essentially 2 levels of failure to this movie. And since this is just a camera and 3 jackasses, I've done the jackasses. Now, there's just the camera. Which shows us nothing happening to them. So I see you're saying that's what we're supposed to see. Okay. I understand. So that means there isn't even a camera. It's just 3 jackasses. What other horror film ever came down to just 3 jackasses? I honestly believe precidence is an important thing, when a film is as experimental as this is.

All that's left for me to say (I think this'll be it) is- I can't think about the unknown or even pay attention to it when I want to kill these 3 jackasses. Call me prejudiced, but it just felt like a completely unreal situation to me. I really think that's what contributed to me hating these people so much. Not just that I have a problem with potheads and drunk college students.

The South, huh? Why am I not surprised? :argue:

So is that how you think the movie works for most people? Because I knew people who liked the movie. The rest of the people I knew didn't know what to think of it, they were disappointed (they didn't go to the theater to see it). Nobody I talked to about it actually ever felt themselves in the movie. Not because they don't swear a lot or anything like that. But actually, because the movie didn't show us anything. I really think fear of the unknown doesn't work on as many people as the critics think it does.

I'll also admit that I'd rather see a horror movie for the style, artistic quality, and something with a concept more complex than shaking a camera and having 3 20-somethings get lost in the woods and swear about it. (So, that covers me and everyone else who I know have seen it)

I felt that a few times. Like when they were interviewing the towns people. And the marshmallow moment. But I don't ever associate grime or anything unappealing with the word "charm." And the characters were anything but charming. And in my opinion, the movie is all those 3 people. If I only don't like them, but wish horrible things would happen to them... what's left but to be disappointed? And how does that charm last? By pointing the camera more at the woods than at the idiotic people? The woods looked great. I never had a problem with the look of the movie or the camerawork or the sound. I didn't need it to feel like a big movie. Hell, if that were true, I would have hated Open Water.

It's just those pesky 3 jackasses that bring me out of the experience of this movie as anything else but a headache. Otherwise, I think what you're saying is more than valid. It's pretty much right on the nose. I'm sure I could experience this movie as everything you did. If we could take the main characters out.

NO!!! (try and picture Adam Sandler saying that and not me - that's how I get through the day)

I don't know if I said anything yet about this here, but - I guess I agree with what you said about Craven's repeated commentary on "the family unit." But that does not mean in any way that the horror of many of his films wasn't incredibly effective! And I mean, like you probably don't, worthy of placing several of his films among the greatest achievements of all the most notable genre directors' output. I still think Scream is his finest hour. And I kind-of think the reason people disagree is merely that they don't like the style of the film or they firmly believe the film was an attack on the horror genre and the intelligence of its' fans. Which it does not.

I love Last House on the Left as well. And I see what you're saying. So I would agree that in terms of effectiveness, I would put Last House and Scream among his top films. But I'd also say as a director he's better than Romero and Carpenter (who I really don't get, apart from The Fog, Halloween, and Cigarette Burns). I might say something like, I think Craven's films are maybe more concept than effect. OR, that the concept of Craven's films go in-hand with the effect. Which is also what would make me say that I don't think people would really appreciate Scream unless they see that the movie is looking down on most of the teen characters' "know it all" comments on horror films and/or slasher films.

And Craven has degrees in and has taught classes in psychology. I would agree that that's not enough to make a horror film work. Which is why I'm all the more amazed that most of his films have more than psychology, they also have style. I mean, I hate Shocker more than anyone else on the planet. But, that stuff with the main character's girlfriend actually made me finish watching that 110 minute monstrosity. I never thought of Craven as a director with the kind of visual panache of Don Coscarelli or Tobe Hooper. But Nightmare on Elm Street and the dream sequences of Shocker are just visually amazing stuff to watch. Then, you add the music and, to quote Craven himself - "it work(s) like gangbusters." Craven is an excellent judge of what music is paramount to the effectiveness of his movies. And that's just one more thing that makes me go, "woah- this guy is a master." I respect him on so many levels.

6. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

9.5 for me. I absolutely loved this flick. I hadn't been this spooked in the theatre for a long time - very refreshing.

7. Fumi

Fumi Member

I gave it a 6. I thought it was a fairly good watch, but on the other hand some of the characters were so annoying that it'll be a loooooong time before I would watch it again.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Firstly, thanks for the lengthy response, DVD-fanatic-9. Much appreciated. ;)

Yes. You were correct earlier, you don't see much of anything in this film. So what's scary? What was scary was what my mind, through good story telling and association, it tapped into something that was already in me. Isolation, desperation, impending doom (without any real outward sign). It was manipulating fears I think I already had.
    That's an interesting question, because it addresses something we haven't discussed much - replay value. BWP suffers quite badly on repeat viewings - meaning it's nowhere near as scary. It's still interesting, but not scary.

I've seen Scream, but don't deem it worthy of ownership. However, I did just buy a book on the making of the film - so maybe that'll help once I get around to reading it. I'm not a fan of WB horrors - and Scream seems to me to have that written all over it.

Thanks again for the response. As I wrote earlier, BWP will always be a film that divides film fans, it seems!

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Can't that be said for any horror film? Especially when it's plot is driven by suspense and tension. I can't think of any film that's AS scary when you know what's going to happen.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Yeah, you're probably right. Along with anything with a "twist" ending, or surprise.

I'm trying to not appear as a huge fanboy of BWP - and you're not helping by making useful points. :D

11. Criswell

Criswell New Member

I gave it 1, only cause there was no 0.

12. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

You're welcome and you're welcome.

I think when I asked that question, I meant how does the charm last through the movie's running time(?) but with repeat viewings- it's the same thing.

I didn't know there was one. Where'd you get it?

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

14. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

1 - this film is utter crap!

16. blu

blu New Member

I loved BWP the first time I saw it in theaters. Then I saw it again on DVD and let's just say it didn't hold up at all. Haven't seen it since '99. Wouldn't mind giving it another try though.

17. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I think the ending of the film is still scary and makes the hair raise on the back of my neck when they are in the house.

18. Frankenstorm

Frankenstorm Guest

I went with a 7.5. I remember being ticked off by all the hype by the time I saw it and not wanting to like it. Nevertheless I found the ending pretty unnerving... which is always good.