Rate/Comment On The Last House on the Left (1972)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Oct 12, 2004.

?

Rate/Comment On The Last House on the Left (1972)

1. 10

18.2%
  2. 9.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 9

16.4%
  4. 8.5

9.1%
  5. 8

10.9%
  6. 7.5

9.1%
  7. 7

10.9%
  8. 6.5

3.6%
  9. 6

5.5%
  10. 5.5

1.8%
  11. 5

7.3%
  12. 4.5

1.8%
  13. 4

3.6%
  14. 3.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. 2.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 1.5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. 1

1.8%
  20. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

9/10

David Hess is wonderful as Krug, one of my favorite villians ever! The music is fantastic and YES definitely read the book it has so much information it's incredible.

2. FREDDY FAN1

FREDDY FAN1 Guest

It Was Ok, I Guess In The 70's It Was Looked At A Lot Diffrent. Wes Craven Really Grew Popular From That Film, Until Nightmare On Elm Street.

3. I believe the film was shot in 16mm and blown up to 35mm like "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". It was alright although I saw the cut version, not uncut when it was originally released.

I saw both films at a drive-in during the seventies. They looked pretty grainy and murky on a large screen. They look a bit better on DVD and tape considering the source materials. At least "Chainsaw" had some interesting set design. "Last House" was cheap by any standards with poor production value although the performances by the psychos were okay.

4. Nemesis

Nemesis Guest

i rate this film highly based purely on its success in totally freaking/grossing me out and making me want to hurl.

a very effective film.

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

It's actually very loyal to The Virgin Spring (which is a far better movie, of course), contrary to what some critics (like Leonard Maltin) say (and want to believe ...) - it's just a lot rougher. Basically the same plot.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  6. bschulte

bschulte Guest

I gave it a 4/10. Definitely not a great movie, and barely good, but still worth watching.

7. Tad Ghostal

Tad Ghostal Guest

I rented this a while back. I don't get what the big deal is. I thought it was pretty lame.

8. Cotabato87

Cotabato87 Guest

Yep, I love it too. The commentary is quite good also. It was definately ahead of it's time as a true shocker.

9. Criswell

Criswell New Member

I can't help but like it.

Just love that 70's feel.

10. Severn

Severn Member

I gave it a six. Not a big fan of this flick and I'll refrain from bashing it and just say that I just don't see it.

11. zombiexfan

zombiexfan Guest

havent seen it, but wes craven is not that good really , i likes nightmare on elm street and scream kinda, but the rest of his works sucked

12. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Unlike certain rip-offs and imitators that shall remain nameless, Wes Craven's film is a compelling and unforgettable story of human cruelty, put into proper historical and socio-political context. But,

because of the bumbling cop characters that truly destroy the flow of the movie in the later scenes.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I'm raising my score to 9. Strange film this, but it truly benefits from repeat viewing. The dark parts get darker, and as such, the comedic relief more acceptable (it clearly needs something to lighten it up at times).

14. DVD-fanatic-9

I kind of agree. But I think the parents "lightened" up the movie all on their own.

There are also a lot of moments that you just don't forget. It's a very sort of complex film. Since it's so controversial, people probably only remember the rape scenes. But there's so much more going on. My favorite moment that really adds another dimension to the movie is the "Blow your brains out!" sequence. I never saw that one coming, especially after you see how alarmed they are about Weasel.

15. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

i gave it a 10.
    i saw it on FearNet last year, i was repulsed (spelling??). i hate the movie, and i hated myself for watching it. then over the summer this year, i saw it again. I began to apprecitate it a little more. I saw it again today. then i realized how important the film is, the acting is great too. IMO, Carven's best film next to The hills have eyes.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

Glad you like it! I used to think Scream was his best film. But Last House is more powerful.

Also, Hills Have Eyes is so underrated these days.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I'd give Last House a 9. Only because it IS a flawed filom and it's not perfect. (There aren't many films that I would actually give a full 10. There aren't many that are deserved of a perfect score.) But yeah it's definitely an important film and definitely Craven's best.

~Matt

18. DVD-fanatic-9

I just realized I gave it a 7.5. Were I to vote now for the first time, I'd have gone with an 8.5.

I don't know what the story was supposed to be with the cops, because they're so dumb- maybe that was the point. But the "chickens" scene really slows the movie down. Also, the one-liners (such as the "sideways" "boot") weren't necessary.

Aside from that, no complaints.

As for Craven, he's done a lot of different styles. This works considerably better than Hills. But he very effectively changed stylistic gears with Nightmare-Deadly and New Nightmare-Scream. One of the only directors I've noticed can master different types of horror. "Realistic" (whatever the hell that means), surreal / fantasy, and technological / slick, polished.

19. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

yeah same here. i always thought Scream & Elm Street were his best. but i had'nt seen LHOTL or HHE yet.

20. Buddusky

Buddusky New Member

It' s a 10 from me.