Re-Animator Coming To Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shawn Francis, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Why were you in a foul mood today? :hum:

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Seriously?

<deadly eyeroll>

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

As expected, I went to every store in town yesterday and none had Re-Animator. I really wish we had a specialty shop around here when stuff like this happens. I'm also noticing that no store here has the new Total Recall BD either, they just keep getting more and more of the old shitty ones. :mad:

So I hit up Deepdiscount for my needs, throw in Jeepers Creepers for free shipping (and a week wait, oh well:rolleyes:). I doubt any stores will get Jeepers next week either. Shitte state of stores I live in!:fuck:

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They're PNG's at 1920x1080. Effort's been made to maintain the HD. They're not any different looking from any other Re-Animator BD screenshots out there. While whatever he did to the DVD might be unfair compared to some upconverters out there I'm only interested in the BD.

As for Kentai seeing upconverts everywhere, he mostly just warns people away from bad transfers which I thank him every day for. I'd rather get the heads up of a bad transfer for a movie I want then praise of a good transfer for a movie I don't want (like his praise for Hills Have Eyes Pt 2.). People need to disassociate their enjoyment of a film from the realities of the transfer.

I'm not spending $13 on a cracker jack box chance of a good transfer. It's more wisely spent elsewhere if I can be forewarned by somebody like Kentai. Plus to me he's funny.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Considering he admits to having "upscaled" and then "downscaled" the DVD comparison images, that just seems lame by that fact alone. I wonder what else he did to the images really.

I watched the Re-Animator Blu-ray last night, and while certainly not a reference transfer, it's still the best the film has looked to date. It doesn't matter if I love a film or not — if a transfer sucks, I'll say so as I have many times.

6. Katatonia

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I watched the BD yesterday. Some scenes looked really good, while others don't. Image definitely used an older master (that seems to be their method unfortunately). One of these days the film will get the treatment it deserves, but I don't regret my purchase. I never did get the Anchor Bay DVD, so I never saw the documentary before. That definitely help justify my purchase.

If you're currently happy with the DVD version of Reanimator, then I recommend waiting until a better BD comes along.

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

At this price point I think the disc is a steal. As others have mentioned, some scenes look much better than others. But even in the dimmer, less sharp scenes you can see substantially more detail than before. That's obvious just from how much more defined the print damage is now. It really jumps out on the Blu-ray, which reinforces a film-like look. In terms of overall sharpness I'd say 75% of the movie looks like a marked upgrade, with the other 25% looking more like an incremental improvement. Color saturation is substantially improved across the board.

There's no question that the print itself could look better. But until someone spends the coin to go back to the original negatives and start from scratch this is a decent hi-def release priced accordingly. There's no screaming need to upgrade if you're only a casual fan. But if you're a Re-Animator diehard I don't think you'd regret picking it up. There's no evidence of digital tinkering. So it looks pretty much like a theatrical screening of the movie would these days. For me, that was worth $13.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

First of all, let's be clear about one thing: Kentai was comparing screenshots posted by other people when he started this firestorm. At the time when he posted that, he did not actually have the RE-ANIMATOR Blu-Ray. In fact, in his most recent post he walks back a little bit from his earlier comments. I've quoted it below and bolded the last part.

To me, lobbing bombs and starting a firestorm over a release you haven't even seen yet is irresponsible. Even he understands he overreacted.

For quite a long time it's been standard practice amongst the independent companies to scan films in HD and then downconvert them for DVD release. Many of these dubious quality masters that are popping up now on Blu-Ray are older transfers, done on older equipment with older restoration software. An old 2002 telecine scan may look like crap on a new Blu-Ray disc, but that doesn't mean it's not from an HD source. But for Kentai, it seems that everything that looks like crap is because it's an upconvert from a standard definition master. I realize it doesn't make a difference to the consumer either way, a crappy disc looks like a crappy disc, but he should know the difference.

I'm way beyond the point where I can find people like him to be funny. It's sad, but it's a personal issue of mine (he reminds me too much of the assholes I work with). I can't stand him, but I certainly won't fault others for finding his writing to be humorous.

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. Comparing screenshots is an outrageously bad way to evaluate the quality of a Blu-ray transfer. Horror Express looks horrible in screenshots but it's pretty damn pleasing when you watch it. The fact that Kentai admitted he bashed this release without even checking it out should permanently damage his credibility. An "authority" wouldn't engage in this type of behavior--EVER.

There's no question this film could look better with a full restoration. But this disc isn't the train wreck some people are suggesting it is.

11. Katatonia

12. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

13. foller

foller Active Member

Attached Files:

• re.jpg
      re.jpg
      File size:
      210.4 KB
      Views:
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Our bestest and all time favorite blogger has shared the news with the frame captures as well: http://www.kentaiblog.com/2012/11/re-animating-my-wildest-fantasies.html

So long as they don't crank the DNR up (and if you're working from the negative you shouldn't have to) this sounds promising. I was disappointed in both Re-Animator and Evil Dead 2 so I passed on both of them knowing a much better transfer was possible (and somewhat inevitable).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  15. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I think I just came. I need to spend money on all three of these now!

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Wow those screenshots look incredible.

~Matt

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

19. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Makes me angry I did pick up the Image disc.:mad: I was hearing about this restoration and thought it wouldn't be much better and I didn't want to wait. Next time I wait!:eek: Anyone know if the next disc will be region free. or will I have to finally get a RF player?

20. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

The two Second Sight releases I have are region free (ROTLD and Basket Case Trilogy). Even though the Basket Case Trilogy is mentioned as Region B in any press/website I've seen, it is actually region free.

So I can only guess that these future releases may be as well, but really it depends on their contracts so err on caution until it is out there.