Re-Animator Coming To Blu-Ray!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Shawn Francis, Sep 14, 2011.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

These screenshots definitely look great in terms of definition and color saturation. It looks like a much newer film. But that concerns me. Was that Stuart Gordon's intention?

Re-Animator has always had a slightly dark look--which I assume was a stylistic decision. The fact that this disc is being prepped without input from the creative team could result in a technically superior image that doesn't remotely replicate the intended look of the film. And I don't want a "superior" transfer if incorrect color timing and contrast boosting are part of the equation.

The resolution of Carpenter's Halloween is vastly improved on Blu-ray. But the color timing issues prevent me from enjoying it. I really hope this release of Re-Animator is the improvement we're all hoping for and not another missed opportunity.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The Image Re-animator Blu-ray didn't have Stuart Gordon's input on it either. So that really puts us back to square one doesn't it?

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Are all the extras on the Basket Case trilogy region free? Or is it mixed bag like the extras on THe Return of the Living Dead bluray? Also, does it include all the extras from Something Weird's release of the first film and Synapse releases of 2 and 3 releases?

4. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

To some extent that's true. Gordon hasn't specifically endorsed any of the prior transfers (to my knowledge). But he's certainly been a very active participant in the many supplemental materials that have been assembled over the years. So if the previous (all similar-looking) transfers were way off-base I'm assuming we'd have heard something. The Halloween 25th Anniversary and Blu-ray releases immediately resulted in immediate and LOUD internet outcry over color timing. But I've never heard Gordon or anyone else say that Re-Animator wasn't presented properly on the prior DVD releases.

And let me be clear. I am NOT launching a Kentai-style attack on this restoration effort based on screenshots. What I am saying is that these images look vastly different than they have in the past--which might be a cause for concern.

I'll wait for the reviews before I get my hopes up sky-high.

5. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I forgot that ROTLD was from Second Sight, love that disc even though I can't watch the SD extras yet. Just original audio is enough, the full length doc is all gravy!

Interesting point on the color timing though, reverse NOTLD 90 BD? :nervous::nervous::nervous:
    No dening how nice the screens I've seen look though.

6. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

Have you checked out the extras on the first Basket Case? The feature length doc, radio spots and production/promotional galleries work fine, but the other extras don't. Does yours work? Wondering if this is a defective disc...

7. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

My friend got me the steelbook of Return of the Living Dead and my region-free player is broken for the time being. For the time being, what special features on this disc do/do not work on region-locked players?

~Matt

8. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

The movie and the More Brains! documentary work fine, everything else won't. Unless you have a Samsung blu-ray player, which I have and it plays everything on the disc.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It just occurred to me, the Image transfer was originally prepared for NTSC DVD which has a shallower color depth then Blu-ray HD. When that transfer was dusted off for the Blu-ray they didn't go back to the original telecine and work down from there re-doing everything. They must have used the last step of the 2k master before they downconvered to NTSC DVD.

If you look at the 4k scans you'll notice the colors aren't radically different. Green is still Green. Blue is still Blue. Etc. There's just more of a variation between shades. The sky shows an excellent scale of blues that's frankly impossible to see on DVD. Those kinds of things are adjusted before being put on NTSC be it VHS or DVD.

This isn't like Halloween or Coppola's Dracula. All we're seeing is the HD format doing what it does better then NTSC DVD. Details and color.

10. bigdaddyhorse

What model Samsung player, and does it play other region locked stuff or just do PAL conversion? Tried any R2 dvds on it?

11. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

It's really weird. I do not claim to know all that much about the technical aspects of how these things work, but my Samsung home theater plays all of the extras on the Arrow region free blus which most other players will not play. It will not play anything but region A and region free blus, but for instance the extras on Arrow's region free blus and the all the extras on Second Sight's Return of the Living Dead blu play no problem. So it basically just does a PAL conversion on blu ray discs, but it will only play region 1 DVDs though which makes no sense to me at all. It does PAL conversion on a blu ray disc, but not on any region 0 PAL DVDs. I don't get it. Unless there are two different lasers that play the blu ray and DVD discs? Like I said, I'm not that educated on the technical aspects of how these players work. I know there are people on the board who know a lot more about the inner workings than I do. Maybe they can explain why this is.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  12. bigdaddyhorse

I'm not sure either, but I doubt there are 2 lasers inside. Sounds like yours is set free for bd region, but not for dvd. Then no one set it to freak out when faced with PAL, it just converts like most old dvd players did. Strange that some protections were turned on while others weren't, but congrats

13. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

14. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

So it sounds like this set is like the Living Dead set in that only some extras will work? That's a little disappointing.

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

So Drinkenstein said the Basket Case Trilogy and all its extras are region free in the Re-Animator thread so maybe there is something wrong with your disc Mark. Can anyone else chime in and confirm this one way or another?

16. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

don't know a thing about the basket case disc, but the CotLD BD was region all but had some of its extras encoded with PAL, which is why most north american players couldn't play them. could that be the case here?

17. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Anything that's not HD content on a UK release that's "Region Free" is still going to be PAL, so yes, if you don't have a player that can convert PAL to NTSC or play PAL content, those features will not work on your player.

18. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

If I understand correctly, there should be three different lasers in a Blu-Ray player, one for Blu-Ray playback (405 nm blue laser), one for DVD playback (650 nm red laser) and a third for CD playback (780 nm near-infrared laser).

19. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Different companies... Basket Case (Second Sight) and City Of The Living Dead (Arrow)

20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

German release date 9/27/13! Two Blu-ray discs with one DVD.

Translation and compilations of the Capelight Pictures Facebook announcement: http://www.kentaiblog.com/2013/08/re-animating-stuart-gordon-classic.html

But this is translated from Facebook:
    Extras will mostly be the same it appears: http://www.kentaiblog.com/2013/08/re-extramator.html

Hopefully the UK release will be announced soon.