Re-Cycle DVD new Pang Bros.

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by ReelFear, Oct 12, 2006.

1. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

Along with THE HOST this was one of my most anticipated releases. I read alot about the film before seeing it, so i knew there were a lot of haters and also strong supporters out there. usually a movie that is "love it or hate it" somehow always agrees with me.
    This is a really tough movie to rate.
    First of all, RE-CYCLE is barely a horror movie. There are elements of horror, but it is not scary, though there are a couple of attempts to make the audience jump. The film has strong visuals and great sound design that the Pang Brothers usually deliver. To describe this movie think, The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland meets Silent Hill. As a matter of fact, the similarities to SH are many, and I have to admit i liked Silent Hill more. The last sequence is fascinating, and after accepting Re-Cycle for what it is, It was an entertaining film. Approach with caution. My rating 7/10

2. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Yeah, I personally thought it was rather crap, although with some nice ideas and great visuals. It just seems like the Pang's just cannot focus on a central theme, and their films always feel like a mish-mash of 3 or 4 ideas they have rolled into one film. Worth a rent, I suppose.

3. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Any more thoughts?

4. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I saw this today and really enjoyed it. I loved the fantasy horror elements to it and although there were a few scenes with similar elements to such films as Silent Hill and even Castle of the Walking Dead. I feel this film is superior to any of those. It had many original ideas to to go along with borrowed ones.

It probably was guilty of style over substance but I didn't care it worked for me. A solid genre addition from the Pang Brothers. Not as good as The Eye but much better then the Messagers.

5. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I really didnt like this film at all, I watched it about a year ago so I cant remember the specifics, only that it had one of the biggest cop out 'twist' endings I've ever seen. It's like they couldnt think of any backstory, motive or character for the killer so
    they just made it a guy who works at the bookshop and is onscreen for literally 5 seconds
    so they didnt have to deal with it.

6. ReelFear

ReelFear New Member

are you sure you're not thinking of the other pang film AB-NORMAL BEAUTY? sounds like you might have confused the two..

7. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

ah yeah, you are absolutely right, I stand corrected.

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Oh! But that movie is so worth mentioning again! :)

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

The Blu-Ray of this just came out on Sep 30th. Anyone pick this up yet and if so how does it look/sound?

[​IMG]

10. geeare

geeare Guest

yup i watched the Blu-ray last night and it was also the first time I'd ever seen the film. It is visually stunning in 1080p as you can imagine. I wasn't sure what I thought of the film when I was watching it. I knew I was enjoying it at first but then it went off into a completely different direction. It was like watching "The Neverending Story" meets "Dawn of the Dead" or something. I was still enjoyinmg the flick but really wasn't sure if I was "getting" it or not, haha. I didn't realize how much i liked the film until I was telling people about it today at the office and now I can't wait to see it again, hahaha.