[Rec] 2

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Apr 29, 2009.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I liked the first quite a bit, so I'll def. be checking this one out! Still need to see the remake as well.

3. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Cant wait, first one was awesome.

4. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Just saw this at TIFF.

As with the first one, the audience was in constant suspense.

It hasn't been since the first Rec that I witnessed an audience so under the control of the film they were watching. This film picks up from where it left off. A SWAT team goes into the same building with the pieces of information they know. A nice, quick verbal recap. It doésn't take long before the same insanity ensues. In a short scene near the beginning, they also find out what is truly going on and what the infected, in fact, are. This is where the film gets downright evil.

The story is added to in this sequel as to not just simply repeat the original. To avoid the pitfalls of many sequels and even one offs, it avoids blowing the story out of proportion, but does add a certain element. This element is done rather well and will disappoint very few.

This is a truly and relentlessly violent film. I thought the original would have desensitized myself to the filmakers' style of assault on the audience. I was dead wrong. There was one scene in particilar, where the film just doesn't give the audience a break. Cut after cut the films beats you while you are down.

The pacing of the scenes in general were great. Making you hold on until an attack finally happens, if it even happens in the first place. The audio is just crazy as well, adding more impact to the violence.

The directors said that they wanted to make a great sequel and were inspired by Aliens. I could see that influence in this film as well. Further, they succeeded just as Aliens did. It was nice how they also said that the original belongs to the fans and made sure to make a continuation that the fans would want. Once again, they succeeded.

5. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Can't wait to see this! I just saw the original a few weeks ago after seeing QUARANTINE and loved it. When I rented QUARANTINE, I had no idea it was a remake until watching the special features. Apparently, every time I had heard of REC, I was confusing it with a horrible Asian film I had seen called THE REC and so I never bothered with it.

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Hmm, I would hope that they don't ruin the possession angle. That's a large part of why [Rec] was so unnerving.

7. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I can't wait to see this. Is it going to get any kind of limited, arthouse release or are we just going to have to wait for the DVD?

8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

So people know about this? I didn't want to give it away. It is explained right in the beginning, anyway. I felt it was a great explanation and they treat it very well. Trust me, no one was laughing during these scenes so I'd say most found it intense. In fact, the only time people broke out laughing was after a scene that scared the hell out of everyone. It was such a great experience.

9. MorallySound

Well, the would know about the
    possession element
    if they'd seen the original [●Rec].

10. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I thought what was going on to be religiously motivated by the one responsible, but not supernatural unto itself as far as the method of turning people into the infected. I still thought it was an actual virus. Maybe I didn't think enough about it.

That's what sucks for me when it comes to being an adult. My mind is filled so much responsibility related things that my mind shuts down, maybe too much, when watching a film. So enough hints, symbolism, etc just passes by me.

11. Severn

Severn Member

Wow man I can't wait to see this. Man I'm excited!

12. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

I'm hoping cinemacabre gets this in October for the zombie walk in Toronto... it would seem like an appropriate type film to end the walk... hoping...

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

After seeing the film for the first time, I thought back to the seemingly convenient bit where
    the little girl "turns" right when the connection to her dog is brought up. It would make sense if she were possessed and the entity reacts when it's discovered that she's likely infected.

14. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Apparently, this film will be playing Spain for the first time in a few weeks. Canada got to see it even before Spain? Works for me.

I think it will get some kind of art house release months after that, perhaps.

Yes, there were various times possession could have been played up in the original, but possession appeared to only be a possibility, albeit, the main one for what is going on. The directors did not appear to be certain of the explanation themselves. They probably did not even bother considering they never planned on doing a sequel.

Funny thing, even though the Spanish directors are not sure if they want to make another sequel for REC, the scripts for Quarantine 3 and 4 have already been sold to the US filmakers. What a world.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Caught up with this yesterday. I liked the fact that it continued on with the events of the first. I also liked the new plot elements even though it sort of takes the film away from zombie sub genre. It got a bit repetitious in the middle but really kicks it back into gear in the last half hour. Overall I don't think it was as good as the first but still a very good follow up.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  16. Iron Jaiden

Iron Jaiden New Member

I just watched this at home and I dug it. Like the first movie a bit better but they did a very commendable job here for sure.
    Is this coming out on DVD here anytime soon? If it has decent extras I'll buy it. The subs on my copy are good but not perfect (couple misspellings, couple silly translations, etc..)

17. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

After what seems like months of searching I finally tracked this film down, and with English subtitles! Although I still like the first film more, this one did a great job of continuing the story as well as adding new elements. Probably the best horror movie sequel I've seen since 28 Weeks Later.

18. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

I agree with all of the above. We just watched REC 2 again last night. It was still really fun. I emphasize watching it in a theatre for first time viewing though.

19. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

where'd you get it? ;)

20. MorallySound