Recommend me some Giallo films

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by 17thJuggalo, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

2. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

I haven't seen LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN, but I can vouch for DUCKLING. If Fulci's over-the-top zombie epics are all you've ever known, you're in for a real treat.

3. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

I personally was not impressed by TORSO, although I did find the flashback scene that reveals the killer's motivation very amusing. There are better gialli you can spend your money on though.

4. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Here's AB's Bloody Iris:
    http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=7222
    Torso:
    http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=9828
    Or if you're region free:
    http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=1140

5. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

Looks like I missed that the first time around. Still I can't really complain though because I'm very anal about the condition of my DVD's and I did get a mint copy.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2006
  6. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

I finally gave in and rented three gialli at the local video store. So far I've watched Your Vice is..... and it was FANTASTIC. All the plot twists, character development, cinematography..... its amazing what today's movies have stole from these films. I also rented Torso and Who Saw Her Die and I should be watching them shortly. I've only been renting flicks that I have a hard time tracking down (or flicks that I would have to pay way too much for) and this store seems to have them all. Thankfully, this store seems to have ALL of the stuff I'm looking for. If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area, check them out:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=40344993

7. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

I never really liked TORSO because as I recall, it had more of a teen slasher feel, particularly in the climax. Perhaps you'll enjoy it more. WHO SAW HER DIE?, on the other hand, I love and highly recommend.

8. Crystal Plumage

Who Saw Ger Die? has one of my favorite Morricone scores.It can be a bit grating though in places.
    Torso is a fun film.Not to be taken seriously.Not Martino's best either but it has genuine tension and a great cast.

9. pwrslave

pwrslave New Member

I bought Bird and I thought it was ok. Am I missing something with the whole giallo genre. I love horror movies and consider myself a huge fan, but if this is the best giallo, then the others cannot be that great. Maybe I need to watch it again? The score was fantastic. I loved the scenery and the way it was shot and the time period it was filmed, but the story and the killer, was just ok..

I am not downing the movie at all, as for the time I am sure it was very impressive. But I felt like it was missing something.

I guess this genre is for some people, maybe not me.

10. Surge92

Surge92 Guest

Was that the impression you got? THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE is a great film, but I wouldn't say it's the best giallo overall. I don't even think it's Argento's best giallo (DEEP RED gets that honor in my opinion). Gialli are an acquired taste. My introduction to Eurohorror was through Fulci's zombie epics and De Ossorio's Blind Dead films, and for a long time that's all I was interested in, but then I saw DEEP RED and TENEBRE a few years back and I was hooked on the giallo sub-genre. I love the stylish cinematography and memorable setpieces that most gialli showcase, not to mention the intriguing "whodunit" angle that keeps me guessing until the end (most of the time at least). The giallo has become my favorite Eurocult sub-genre, but as I mentioned previously, what appealed to me, may not appeal to everyone else.

11. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Don't judge the entire genre by one film.

It's not even the best the genre has to offer. It's a great film, but there is much better out there to see from this genre.

It's my favorite type of horror.

It was Argento's first film. He was learning his trade, and mastering his techinque. Think of Bird and his other earlier films as a warm-up round. He nails it in his Mid-Career.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Just watched SHORT NIGHT OF GLASS DOLLS. I'm not experienced with Giallo at all but I have three quick questions:

1) Short night?
    2) Glass?
    3) Dolls?

Did I miss something??? I wasn't very impressed with the over-all movie, sad to say. Is this indicative of most Giallo films? Hope not. :( Guess I should have rented before I bought that AB box set.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Wasn't that the one about the dead guy, contemplating his own murder?

If so, I enjoyed that one, although it definitely deviates from the "traditional" giallo motif. One thing that you should totally ignore about gialli is the TITLES, which usually make little to no sense. I'm not sure if it's the English translation factor, or if the directors were just trying to be lurid and off-center, but the titles often have little to do with the content of the film.

One of the giallo experts here probably has a better explanation.

But check out a few more...there are definitely hits and misses amongst the many gialli films.

14. Crystal Plumage

The original title was La Corta Notte delle Farfalle/The Short Night of the Butterfly but it was changed in La Corta Notte delle Bambole di Vetro/The Short Night of the Glass Dolls.I can't remember why they changed it but IIRC it was mentioned in the interview on the disc.

I like the movie but it's no straight forward Giallo.If you haven't seen Lado's Chi L'ha Vista morire?/Who Saw Her Die? yet I recommend watching that one.It's more like classic Giallo.And it has a great Morricone score which will haunt you for days :D.

15. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I'm a huge fan of gialli and I also hated Short Night, so no, you didn't miss anything. I think it is the worst film in the Giallo Collection. Bloodstained Shadow is my favorite, followed by The Case of the Bloody Iris and Who Saw Her Die?

16. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Thanks, Guys. I was a little worried that I might be too retarded for Giallo. :p Now I don't feel so bad. I'll give the others a shot before I get too "down" on the (sub)genre.

17. Tye

Tye New Member

Blood & Black Lace is my favorite giallo of all time (hence my avatar).
    Others I would definitely recommend are:
    Tenebre
    What Have You Done To Solange?
    Deep Red
    Death Laid An Egg

18. DefJeff

DefJeff Franca Stoppi's #1 fan

I didn't like any of the films in the Giallo Collection except for Case of the Bloody Iris. I'd rank the other 3 as among the worst I've seen.

19. Tye

Tye New Member

I agree that The Case of the Bloody Iris was the best giallo in the collection.
    The worst film IMHO in the collection was The Bloodstained Shadow in which case I found no entertainment value whatsoever.
    The best thing for me in regards to Who Saw Her Die was Ennio Morricone's score. I found Aldo Lado's other film in the collection, Short Night of Glass Dolls, to be better (especially in the plot department).

20. Crystal Plumage

Before I bought the Giallo Collection I hadn't seen any Gialli at all.Only some of Argento's efforts and Fulci's Duckling.
    After reading many reviews for it I decided to buy it.I really like all of them.They were the doorway to "another world" and I never looked back.
    Of all the Gialli I've seen I haven't found a bad one yet.Some are perhaps less entertaining (plot,action/gore or acting) but I like the mystery element too.
    If you like German Krimi,you'll like most Gialli anyway.