Recommend me some Hammer please

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Luna

Luna Guest

I have a terrible time choosing which Hammer films are my favorite so I hadn't posted here yet, but I really think you just can't go wrong with Hammer in general. Some that I love are The Creeping Flesh, Die Die My Darling, The Nanny, Hands of the Ripper, The Gorgon, The Witches, The Devil Rides Out, Rasputin, all the Dracula films... my list could go on. Not all of those are on DVD, but deserved a mention anyway. I figured I wouldn't be much help there because if it's Hammer, it's basically good enough for me. :lol:

I did want to say WOW, I love those German covers! I want them all made into posters so I can go mad decorating my apartment!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2006
  2. studio1

studio1 Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  3. dwatts

dwatts New Member

-- The Creeping Flesh, Die Die My Darling, The Nanny, Hands of the Ripper, The Gorgon, The Witches, The Devil Rides Out, Rasputin, all the Dracula films.--

Luna! All but one of those are on DVD, I have them. The Nanny is getting an R2 reissue soon too (the first release was a two-fer in 4:3, paired with a good - but peculiar cop film).

4. Luna

Luna Guest

I apparently need to pick up The Gorgon and The Nanny then! :eek1:

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Erm.... I edited my post. I did I did I did. But it ain't there. So maybe I didn't. :confused:

The Gorgon isn't on DVD. And as I said, I THOUGHT I'd edited my post to reflect that factoid.

However, the Nanny is - but you'd be better off waiting for the reissue now, which I read somewhere is going to be widescreen :)

Sorry, Luna :cry:

6. Luna

Luna Guest

Dammit, you got my hopes up! :lol:

Nah, s'ok... I really would love The Nanny on DVD though. That one rocks!

7. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Not to be picky,but as it keeps coming up,I should point out that THE CREEPING FLESH is not a Hammer film.

8. Luna

Luna Guest

Oh, oops, that is correct. Shithead confused me briefly. It IS a good film though. :lol:

9. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

yeah this is news to me, i even have a horror movie review book that has the creeping flesh listed as hammer horror.:eek:

10. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Horror of Dracula, Brides of Dracula, Plague of the Zombies, Countess Dracula.

11. shithead

Has anyone seen The Shroud of the Mummy? It comes with Plague of the Zombies as part of AB's double feature...i haven't heard much about it, is it any good?

12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

It's not bad, but nothing that will send you back for continued viewings. The best part in The Mummy's Shroud arrives in the finale. I won't say what exactly happens, but the demise of the mummy is pretty cool. Plague of the Zombies is a great Hammer film on the other hand. Just remember that it came out about 3 years before Romero's Night of the Living Dead and seems tame in comparison. Plague of the Zombies is a great atmospheric horror film though.

13. shithead

Thanks.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Vampire Circus is probably about the best of Hammer's later ouput from the 1970's. It scores points for originality by putting a different spin on familiar horror themes. The unrated version has plenty of gore and sex too.

Curse of the Werewolf starring a young Oliver Reed has a great looking title creature in it. Kiss of the Vampire and Brides of Dracula are both terrific. The vampires in both of those films are defeated through unconventional means.

It's a fun change of pace to see Christopher Lee playing good guys in The Devil Rides Out and The Gorgon. I highly recommend both movies. Peter Cushing is especially wicked in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed.

LOTS of Hammer Films worth recommending!!!

15. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

"Mummy's Shroud" is kind of a middling Hammer affair. It's not one of the certified classics, but it's also not one of the duds.

16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

That's a goody, but IMO nothing Hammer produced during the 70s beat CAPTAIN CRONOS: VAMPIRE HUNTER. Should've been the first in a long series, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. :(

17. Luna

Luna Guest

I have been dying to see Vampire Circus. Maybe one day I'll get lucky. :cry:

18. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Yeah, I'd love to have Vampire Circus in my collection. If for no other reason than it features a young Lalla (Romana II) Ward in it.

(I was watching one of the "World of Hammer" things on one of my AB Hammer DVDs, and a clip from that came on, and I was all like Is that... Romana? With fangs?)

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Just import it guys ;)

Though I'd hardly say it had "plenty of gore and sex", it truly is terrific.

20. Damed

Damed Guest

Haven't had a chance to watch my R4 version. Here's to hoping it's uncut.