Recommend me some Hammer please

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Crystal Plumage, Sep 5, 2006.

1. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I got an all region Vampire Circus DVD from Ebay that was uncut and anamorphic. It was cheap too. It's well worth seeing.

You can't go wrong with either R1 Hammer box for the price. Both contain essential films. Yyou can pick up the Universal set for about $22 at Amazon. Some of Cushing's best performances are included (Night Creatures, Brides of Dracula).

If you also like Sherlock Holmes, also check out Hammer's 1959 version of Hound of the Baskervilles. It strays from ACD's original. But Cushing is good as Holmes, Lee has a rare romantic lead role as Henry Baskerville, and that unmistakable Hammer atmosphere makes up for some of the sillier departures from the original story.

I also like some episodes of Hammer House of Horror (their TV series). Cushing's (Silent Scream) is particularly good. That box set is still available too.

2. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

frankenstein and the monster from hell

3. adventurer

adventurer New Member

4. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

The Devil Rides Out has always been one of my favorite Hammer's.Don't hear too much about it most of the time,thats a shame.Well worth checking out if you have not seen it.

5. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I am huge fan of Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter. Perfect mix of humor, horror, and action. Some really cool swordplay, and Caroline Munro. I love most of the Hammer Vampire films as well, but this one just kind of stands out for me. As far as I know the Paramount R1 disc is pretty much the best one...but I could very well be wrong.

6. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

7. geeare

geeare Guest

Where does one purchase this item, I can't find it anywhere.

EDIT: NEVERMIND I JUST FOUND IT.

8. patmcgahern

patmcgahern Guest

Another reccomendation for Vampire Circus... A childhood fave that stands the test of time. This thread is going to do me the world of good as I have plenty of reccomendations now.

9. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

To The Devil A Daughter never gets it's due, i enjoyed it.

10. Shokk

Shokk Lord Of The Thighs

You just liked Natasha's wooly beaver..:lol:

I do agree though..pretty trippy/wierd flick....and it has Lee.

11. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Yeah, it does have that goin for it as well.:sperm:

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

So i said I would repost this in here as opposed to taking up space on the sequel forum.

Anyways, I want to get into Hammer horror films, but have heard there have been problems with the Universal box set, as the discs are double sided, and I had problems with the Munsters box set before because of that Anyone else have problems with these? I am now using a PS3 to play movies, so maybe now they will play better?

It looks like to have the complete monster series I would need the Hammer Horror Collection (Warner), Hammer Horror Series (Universal), and Icons of Horror: Hammer Films (Sony), Dracula: Prince of Darkness/ The Satanic Rites (Anchor Bay), Revenge of Frankenstein (Sony), Frankenstein Created Woman/The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (Anchor Bay), Horror of Frankenstein (Anchor Bay), Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell (Paramount), Scars of Dracula (Anchor Bay), Dracula A.D. (Warner Bros.), The Mummy's Shroud/The Plague of Zombies (Anchor bay), Blood From the Mummy's Tomb (Anchor Bay).

Would that be all the Hammer monster movies, and the best versions in Region 1? Are they all worth owning? It sucks that so many companies own them, as I guess that stops there from being a complete box set collection.

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Oh, and do you really need to watch the various Dracula or Frankenstein or Mummy movies in order. I was thinking of just picking up the two box sets to start off with, but they are just random in order. Will they make sense without seeing the previous sequels?

14. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I know they are not the most popular, but Scars Of Dracula and Lust For A Vampire are personal favorites.

15. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

From what I've seen, all of the Fisher films are great, with the Frankenstein movies standing at the top of the heap, and, yeah, they should be watched in order just to appreciate the progression of Cushing's Frankenstein.

Other favorites:

Curse of the Werewolf - probably the most original of the interpretations
    Demons of the Mind - probably the best non-Fisher Hammer film and (for me) full of surprises
    Countess Dracula - not exactly a "horror" film" but it's got Ingrid Pitt and sometimes that's enough
    Plague of the Zombies - another excellent non-Fisher that is still full of some good chills
    To the Devil a Daughter - really could have been the best thing they had done. It has some of their finest creepy moments ruined by a slipshod script. It's not the worst Hammer film, but it is definitely the most dissappointing.
    The Gorgon - from memory this always stood out as a favorite, so I am really anxious to pick the new DVD up.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Not, that's not all the Hammer films in R1. AB released a lot more than that, such as The Witches, Viking Queen, The three Qautermass Films, The Lost Continent, The Anniversary, The Nanny and many more.

Check out this list.

And no, you don't have to watch the Hammer series in any order - but personally speaking, I think it's more fun when you do.

17. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Sorry, I just meant all the monster movies, aka. Dracula, Werewolf, Mummy, Frankenstein. But yeah, I checked out that list you linked to and have become interested in the other Hammer films as well. I think I will try to get them all before I watch them, although it seems like it will be pricey as all the Anchor Bay double features are like $22, at least on Amazon. But I have a feeling I'll like them, as just from the stills I've seen I really enjoy the style. Thanks!

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Frankenstein has pretty good continuity throughout it so I'd recommend watching that in order. I don't think there's really any continuity with Dracula; none the I've noticed at least. The Mummy series has nothing at all in common between movies.

19. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

You can't go wrong with:
    THE DEVIL RIDES OUT
    THE LOST CONTINENT
    DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS
    DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE
    QUATERMASS AND THE PIT
    THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN
    THE GORGON
    THE CREEPING FLESH

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I do think you can can go wrong with this. :D

And Creeping Flesh isn't as I recall, a Hammer title.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008