Recommend Some Obscure Slashers Please

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by onebyone, Mar 25, 2008.

1. onebyone

onebyone Guest

I love slasher movies. I love slasher movies a lot. I love them more than Lemonheads, and that's an awfully lot. (Of course, the two are best together, but that's neither here nor there.)

I am really craving some new slasher meat right now. Sadly, there does not seem to be any slashers worth .03 cents coming out (but will I see and probably like the bad ones? You betcha!), and I just spent a lot of time at amazon looking for upcoming slashers releases or just any slasher movie that I hadn't seen and came up with zilch. Nothing. Have I really worn slashers out after all these years, or are there some gems (or even real non-troma stinkers, seriously I am not slasher picky) out there yet to find? If you know some, point me in the direction of them please. I need a massacre fix and I need it bad.

Thank you for your help in this stressful time.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2008
  2. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

Have you seen Edge of Sanity (1989) with Anthony Perkins?
    It's a play on the Jeckyl and Hyde story (with a Jack the Ripper twist), but at heart, it's all slasher.
    Perkin's is totally over the top in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097263/

3. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I would recommend some as I, too, am a huge fan but having seen your posts and all that, I highly doubt anything I mention would be something you haven't already seen/heard of. Good luck!

4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I recommend Adam Rifkin's The Invisible Maniac if you haven't seen that one. Pretty hilarious watching the actors try and act like an invisble guy is murdering them. Melissa Moore from Sorority House Massacre 2 is in it.

Fatal Games is also good, with a bunch of Olympic hopefuls getting offed by a javelin wielding (seriously) maniac during their training.

No DVD of either of those, but they're worth a look if you can find them.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Have you seen NEW YEARS EVIL,it's a fun old school 80's film,not on DVD yet ? How about The 1982 film ALONE IN THE DARK,great cast,Jack Palance,Martin Landau,Donald Pleasance ? That one is available on a nice DVD.CURTAINS is another well liked 80's film that's M.I.A on DVD.Any of these are worth tracking down if you've seen all the HALLOWEEN's,FRIDAY's and FREDDY's a hundred times.

6. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Dead of Night (aka Lighthouse) is a pretty good British slasher movie from the 90sthe US DVD is now OOP but the UK disc is easy to come by...Tower of Evil (aka Beyond the Fog) is a pretty good British slasher movie from the 70s which oddly enough is also set in a lighthouse. It is available from Elite.

7. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

Second that recommendation. One of the genesis films that helped create the "body count" films that are so prominent today. Great flick, historically especially.

8. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Have I seen New Year's Evil? Watched it every New Year's Eve or close to it for many, many years. My love for that movie is deep and true.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. They are all good movies, but two of them, Fatal Games and Tower of Evil, I haven't seen in awhile so they will seem fresh going down so I have a good start. :D

Any more? Yes I am slasher greedy.

9. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

How about The Love Butcher? Substance released it on DVD, although the transfer is awful.

Same for Don't Open Till Christmas, but I really kind of like this flick in a trashy sort of way.

If you want something more recent, how about The Pool?

10. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Home Sweet Home - Body by Jake hopped up on PCP, giggling and killing.
    Hide and Go Shriek
    Slaughter High

11. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Lots of good ones mentioned here.

Aerobicide
    Mother's Day
    Tourist Trap

Just some random ones that come to mind there.

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Ruggero Deodato's Body Count (1987) has everything you need in a slasher. The R4 release is unrated.

The Dark Side Of Midnight (1984) has its share of cheesy slasher hilarity. Works kind of like the PG version of The Demon (1979).

Some folks seem to enjoy Motor Home Massacre (2005) but I couldn't really get into it. Same goes for The Confessional a.k.a. House Of Mortal Sin (1976). Dark Fields (2006) had its moments, but also moments of suck and Fulci's Murder Rock (1984) shines with fancy leotard-dancing.

13. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I saw a VHS over the holidays called "Class Reunion Massacre". It's probably obscure, and totally mental. But it's a slasher.

14. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

Final Exam(81),Offerings,Scalps,Drive In Massacre,Class Reunion Massacre,Slaughter High,Night School,The Prey. Just a few favorites.

15. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Second Dead of Night. I'm surprised that hasn't gained a bigger following.

Not sure if Don't Go in the House is obscure enough, but that's another good one.

16. blood vamp

blood vamp Guest

Splatter University is good.

17. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

I also recommend Lighthouse (aka Dead Of Night). Get the UK DVD, which is R2/PAL, but has nice anamorphic widescreen video. The US DVD is out of print and was a lousy fullframe transfer.

The Backlot Murders was fun. It's filmed on the Universal Studios backlot using sets from Psycho and Jurassic Park: Lost World. You can probably pick-up a new or used copy for under $5.

Another good flick is the German slasher Flashback. I don't know if you'll be able to track down an uncut print. The US and Korean DVDs are both the theatrical versions. I haven't seen the uncut version, but I enjoyed the US DVD. I own the Korean DVD for it's anamorphic widescreen video (the US DVD is letterboxed).

18. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Edge of the Axe fits in here.It is obscure and one of my favorite slasher type movies.Sadly it doesn'ty have a DVD release yet.

19. YottNik

YottNik Pay the price!

I'll second this. Also known as Killer Workout.

20. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

I wouldn't call the classic British thriller Fright a slasher film. It's more of a "babysitter vs escaped lunatic" movie. But it's really good. And a big influence on slashers like Halloween and When A Stranger Calls.

I like the stylish French slasher film Deep In The Woods. The US DVD is nice with anamorphic widescreen, the original French and dubbed English tracks, and audio commentary by Brian Yuzna. This is another cheap one you can find for around $6.

I'm sure you've probably seen Anatomy, but it's really good so I'm going to mention it anyways. The US DVD is excellent.

Another good one you've probably seen is Popcorn. A slasher flick that takes place at a horror movie festival. How can you not like it? Unfortunately, the US DVD is a mess. While it's anamorphic OAR, the video transfer sucks and the audio isn't much better.

Cold Prey (aka Fritt Vilt) is an excellent recent slasher that's slipped through the cracks. I've got the recently released UK DVD which has anamorphic widescreen and the original Norwegian audio (with English subs). I don't know if or when it'll get a US release. You can catch the trailer at the Official Site. And it looks like there's a sequel coming out later this year. Woo Hoo!