Recommend Some Obscure Slashers Please

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by onebyone, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

No confusion. I'm looking at the ad right now and it says "...and for early 2009, the film COLD PREY".

2. rhett

rhett Administrator

Sorry, I just assumed that because this was an obscure slashers thread that you'd be referring to the older unreleased title of a similar name. COLD PREY looks cool though, I'll check it out once it hits.

3. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Just don't expect a standard slasher film, I won't spoil it for you but it was quite unique and thoroughly enjoyable. Quite gory also.
    I would consider adding this one to the collection for sure.

4. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Fritt Vilt (aka Cold Prey) is quite good, though I honestly wouldn't call it all that original in terms of plot. It's a shame that the filmmakers couldn't have gone a bit further without the Norwegian censors looking over their shoulders.

The R2 Norwegian 2-disc DVD release of the film is quite nice, and I've had it for well over a year now. Easily one of the best blind buys in the past year. It'll be interesting to see what Anchor Bay plans to do with their DVD release next year.

5. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

In the new issue of Horrorhound (the best horror magazine around IMO) they count down the 20 most underrated slashers of the 80s. The list (from best to worst):

The Funhouse
    The Prowler
    The Burning
    My Bloody Valentine
    Stagefright
    Pieces
    Terror Train
    Alone in the Dark
    Don't Go in the House
    April Fool's Day
    Madman
    Intruder
    Slaughter High
    Crawlspace
    Hell Night
    Just Before Dawn
    Happy Birthday to Me
    The Dorm That Dripped Blood
    The Mutilator
    Scalps

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

So basically everything that's not Halloween, Friday the 13th or A Nightmare on Elm Street qualifies as underrated? It's a pretty blaise list if you ask me, totally neglecting the real slashers that time forgot in favor of one you can easily search on Amazon before the article. The Burning underrated? Really? The same goes for My Bloody Valentine, April Fool's Day, The Funhouse and The Prowler.

If I were to amend that list I'd take off the obvious and add on more deserving titles like:

Next of Kin
    Nightmare at Shadow Woods
    Bloodbeat
    Honeymoon Horror
    Ghost Dance
    The Prey
    Night of the Demon

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I DVRed this on COMET recently. Just watched more than half of it, and... it's a movie. The boat hasn't even left the dock yet. Will probably finish later tonight.

Since I randomly found this thread searching Moon In Scorpio and I'm bumping the thread anyway, might as well make some super belated observations:

So glad to see Bikini Island mentioned, but nobody mentioned Last Dance! Same filmmakers and it's basically the same movie (it feels like they used the same script and just changed the location), but it's better! Even more trashy fun than Bikini Island. Dying for a blu-ray of these!

Just wanted to confirm that the Canadian DVD is 2.35:1 (although non-anamorphic), which really surprised me for a DeCoteau direct-to-video movie.

I didn't really like the movie back when I rented it on VHS, but being a slasher movie completest, I ended up ordering it from GoHastings and they sent me the Canadian disc by mistake. Not exactly what I ordered, but sometimes things just work out. Seeing it in 2.35:1 really won me over, and I loved it on my last viewing.

It kind of made me want to revisit The Frightening and Leeches just to see if I like them this time around. Eh... probably not!