Relentless - (film franchise)

Discussion in 'General' started by baggio, Sep 27, 2017.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Anybody a fan of these thrillers staring Leo Rossi? First film in the series was directed by William Lustig.

Sure they are not all winners, but it's a guilty pleasure non the less for me. These films(the sequels) were at the beginning of the straight to video stage craze.

Would love for New Line Cinema(or whoever owns the rights) to release the Relentless films on blu. This could be a pretty cool box set imho. 4 films in the series.

Can't find 2nd trailer

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  2. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I own all of these on DVD and would definitely purchase a blu-ray set. Leo Rossi is essentially playing the detective version of Bud the ambulance driver from Halloween II. Talk about a foolproof entertainment concept.

baggio likes this.
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I only saw the first and thought it was just so-so. Judd Nelson was very effective, but Leo Rossi made for a very awkward leading man. But I say the same thing about Charles Bronson, so what do I know?

I'd try the sequels if the opportunity presented itself, but they're not high on my list.

4. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I remember seeing the first one in the movie theatre at the mall. We were thinking "oh yeah, crime thriller, Judd Nelson from Breakfast Club, probably gonna be pretty run of the mill tame stuff for it to be at the mall compared to what we usually rent at home". We had a learning experience.

5. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I remember my dad renting the first one when I was a kid but he wouldn't let me watch it with him, the tiny bit I saw always made me want to see the first one though.

6. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Throughout the series there many supporting actors/actresses that were popular around the time. It was different to see a guy like Leo play an ongoing character like Clint did with Harry Callaghan. Just to be clear I'm NOT comparing Leo Rossi to Clint Eastwood at all, just saying it was an interesting choice. Obviously back then we didn't have access like we do now to movie making info, would love to know the casting process on these films. My only guess that Lustig directed this and Maniac Cop 1 & 2, which Leo was also in. Must have hit it off. Same goes for Judd Nelson, love to know what made him want to try a role like this. Next movie for him after Relentless was New Jack City. After that it was just small roles in movies & TV. Not attacking the guy, he was always working(still is). Just seemed odd after two huge hits like Breakfast Club & St.Elmo's Fire. New Jack City was very popular, I thought that would get him back into big movies again.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  7. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

Seen the first one in the fall of 1989 at the mall, thought it was just so so, by this point I think these kinda thrillers were getting to be old hat. Never bothered with the rest. Thought nelsons career was pretty much over by this point. then a slight comeback with new jack city a few years later, but that was it..

8. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

also had others after st elmos fire, Blue City and From the hip.. don't think either one did that great..

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I saw the first one in the theater one afternoon on my own, just killing time, and rather liked it. A different sort of role for Nelson and I've always liked Meg Foster too. Rented part 2 and saw 3 on cable. Not a bad series.