Rented: The Card Player

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by shift, Aug 26, 2005.

1. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I rented this movie release by Anchor Bay. Director is Dario Argento. Anyone seen it?

The Card Player

[​IMG]

From The Master Of Horror Dario Argento

Director Dario Argento (Tenebre, Inferno) returnsito classic form with his vicious thriller aboutia serial killer who taunts police with online video poker. Butifor every round theicops lose,ia kidnapped young girl isimutilated live via web cam. Now an Italian detective (Stefania Rocca of The Talented Mr. Ripley) andian Irish forensics expert (Liam Cunningham of Dog Soldiers) must race against timeito trapia maniac. From computer screensito crime scenes, theigames have begun. The stakes are murder. And theihunt isionifor theipsychopath known onlyias The Card Player.

2. shift

shift Hot as shit!

Want to play a online game of POKER.

I mean POKE-HER!! hehehe

3. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

4. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

there was a cartoon based on her i think.

5. Luna

Luna Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol:

6. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

i don't like it

7. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Is this Dario guy some new up and comer on the horror scene?

8. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I saw the trailer last night on the Trauma dvd and I have to say that it didn't look so hot. Hopefully that was just a crap trailer though and the movie turns out to be good.

9. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I have the R2, and sadly, they didn't keep the theatrical at as the R1 did - I love that cover! I enjoyed it, but it's a police procedural really, with toned down gore.

10. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    SHIT!! I didn't even know it came out yet!! Now I have to get 2 Argento DVDs!!

11. Crystal Plumage

Crystal Plumage Dig me..but don't bury me

Well I think it's OK overall but if you're looking for Tenebre,Opera or Suspiria like images,go watch Tenebre,Opera and Suspiria instead :)
    But it's cool.It's definitely a grower.

12. I havent watched it again since I baught it, but I liked it. The most striking thing about this movie is however, the lack of any of that striking Argento imagery. It looks like a movie made by a young David Fincher follower.

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I rented it last night at Hollywood Video, they only had a single copy to rent. I was planning on buying it, but the trailer I saw made me think twice. With that said, the movie is better than the crappy trailer. It's not one of Argento's best films, but it's still a decent and entertaining flick with the Argento style. It seems like one that'll probably be better with repeat viewings.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  14. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

I watched it last night. As confirmed by the interview on the disk, Argento seems to have deliberately set out to make a different style of film - a modern cop thriller - and succeeds quite well. It has some grim moments and decent acting (especially when compared to "Sleepless") but I found the climax to be disappointing. In trying a new style Argento has produced something that is less interesting and ultimately on a par with an average American cop thriller.

15. shift

shift Hot as shit!

I didnt like it. Really. I didn't

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I need to get this and Trauma.

17. dwatts

dwatts New Member

You know, I first saw this film dubbed into Italian. I know it was made in English, but hey, dubbed was how I saw it originally.

Last night I watched the R2 disc (the fricking transfer is reference quality by the way, it just looks superb). Anyway, this time it was in English and..... I started laughing at a couple of points. I don't know, some of the bit players are a bit short of a bit.... Also, some of the dialog is pretty funny.

I still enjoyed it, but I don't usually laugh at Argento films, and I never laughed when I saw it dubbed either......

18. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I checked this out tonight. After reading a bunch of reviews on it. I expected it to be a below average affair, well especially for Argento anyway. Well even though it didn’t really feel like an Argento film most of the time, I ended up enjoying it much more then I thought I would. After a kind of awkward start I thought it really picked up the pace and had some nice suspenseful moments including few of Argento’s usual inventive kills. It did have some moments of weak dialoged which I have grown to forgive Argento for. I also didn't see very much of his signature visual flare and the soundtrack could have been a bit more effective. I thought though he compensated for this with an uncharacteristically coherent plot and some nice chemistry between the two leads. Not to mention a great ending. Overall a fun ride that I have no problem adding to my collection.

19. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

It's a change of pace film for Argento,but I liked it.It's more concerned with mood than gore(lots of unnerving shrieking,though not terribly bloody),and uses more naturalistic lighting than he normally uses(the same cinematogapher shot IRREVERSIBLE).It is,however,a sleek thriller with appealing leads and some offbeat set pieces.My guess is that over time this one will grow on people. DO YOU LIKE HITCHCOCK ?(made for Italian tv,due to be released here through Anchor Bay) is said to be more in keeping with older Argento films.

20. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Yeah, me too!! I have every other film of Argento's on DVD. He's one of the only directors I do that for.