Request for "Coffin Joe Trilogy" review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by drown021, May 29, 2003.

1. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

Yeah, "awakening" is pretty bad. Another thing to add to the review is that the 6 dvd set had problems playing in my older (still only 2 years old) dvd player. The discs did play on two newer players I have kicking around as well as my PS2 (all 3 of which are only 6 months old). The place where I got the 6 dvd set said they sold a lot of them and had no problems. I'd still recommend the coffin box as the first two films are the crucial ones.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul plays on Friday the 21st at the San Diego Latino Film Festival. They're listing the format as DCP, not 35mm (dammit!) but not Blu-Ray or DVD either. I'm working a few shifts at the event, so I'll find out for sure what format they're showing.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I talked with Don May Jr. about it a few years ago at a convention briefly as they own the distribution on it now (don't know if that includes theatrical).

My understanding is that a HD scan of the original materials is impractical because they're too fragile (as it was shot on unused negatives clipped off of exposed films reels [cheapest of the cheap]) since there isn't the proper equipment in Brazil and they can't ship the negative out. So a Blu-ray release was always unlikely. It was destined for DVD.

I'd be very interested to hear what they've used for this screening, what it was sourced from, and if Synapse is involved.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Since the work I do for this festival is in the projection, I'll definitely be able to find out. It might even be my job to ingest the film into the server from the received hard drive, and test the file.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

And nope, it's not an HD screening. It's a Blu-Ray, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's just the existing transfer put on a Blu-Ray disc and not a DVD.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I do believe it will be a newer transfer compared to Fantoma, as I seem to recall that they did do new transfers when they did Embodiment of Evil. Now how good of a transfer from Brazil in 2007 can we expect... who knows? If it's anything like the Italian transfers from that period, not much.

Oh well, hopefully Synapse worked some magic with the materials. After all they used the same scan Arrow used for Demons/2 and there was a significant difference just between those.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm going anyway (since a girl I'm interested in just told me she wants to see it), but I'm actually expecting the transfer to be worse than anything already existing. Theatrical screenings of Blu-Rays and DVDs are a different animal. Companies like Synapse et al do not have the rights for those discs to be shown theatrically. For that, an exhibitor will have to go to a different source, pay a rental fee for a "theatrical screener" disc that is often of far lesser quality than the commercial discs we buy for home use.

A friend of mine does monthly screenings of classic films in an old theater, always from Blu or DVD. He pays the appropriate fees, and gets the screener discs to be all legal-like, but usually shows the commercial disc from his own collection because it often looks much better than the screener.

8. bruce h

bruce h Editor - CINEMA ARCANA

I caught a 35mm print of THIS NIGHT I'LL POSSESS YOUR CORPSE at a Baltimore drive-in a good decade or so back. It was paired with 2000 MANIACS. H.G. Lewis was there, and John Waters was hosting.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Hey Paff, how did it turn out? Since you didn't post in here right away I suppose it wasn't too spectacular.

I'd like to show this at a Halloween party some time soon; I'm kinda waiting to see what Synapse comes up with. It's been a LONG wait. Suspiria has been on that wait list too (even before Don announced it).

:banana:

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I worked the night before the screening, and one of my tasks was to check all the DCPs and discs that would be showing the next night. I get to At Midnight, and sure enough, it was just the Anchor Bay DVD. Not even a screener, it actually belonged to the person who was sponsoring the screening.

Still, it wasn't so bad on the big screen, a decent enough way to be introduced to the film. The girl I was with liked it too...

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

From the UK disc I take it? I'd forgotten all about that one.

Well she passed the first trail; now it's time to move onto the tarantulas. :evil: