Retro Slashers scoop: The Mutilator Coming To DVD from Code Red!

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by Dusk, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Oh yeah, forgot about that one! Well Bill would know best. Maybe he's got some real scoopage on that too.

2. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I can be totally patient with CodeRed cause they put out quality products. Rare movies and they are never bare bones, how can you not love that? Thanks Bill!

3. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I am also in favor of this! How fun!

Code Red is a great company. I've not been disappointed by one of their releases yet. As long as the quality remains the same, I am fine with them taking their time.

I hope one day they'll reconsider The Redeemer. More horror fans need to see that movie, and a wide DVD release by a quality group like Code Red would be the best way to make that happen.

4. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Bill, thanks for the updates on Butcher, Baker.

any current updates for Nightmare??

5. HAEMORRHAGE

I'm curious about an update on Forced Entry. Anything?

6. CUBANmix

CUBANmix Guest

hey bill thanks for responding..i take back what i said,but i just hope you understand our fustrations! we all REALLY REALLY and i mean REALLY love code red..i dont even netflix the movies you release anymore..i just go out and buy them [beyond the door is on its way!!] we just dont want to see youre company go in the wrong direction! and i deleted my butcher baker and silent scream downloads [havent seen them yet! im waiting for your dvds i promise!!] thanks again for responding so quickly,and i cant wait for the rest of the year's releases!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  7. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

FORCED ENTRY is having problem. the negative is the PG version called LAST VICTIM (1975) which was HiDef-ed last year. All the new scenes shot 5 years later to make it into a R rated film FORCED ENTRY (1981) is lost and only a 1inch tape is survived from Warner Bros vault. Director Soto put it together, but his editor downloaded the 1inch tape footage into HiDef and came out funny looking. So we have to re-edit the scene again. Soto directs million dollars commercial so he is doing this on his free time and currently he is too busy.

NIGHTMARE would've came out but many fans demanded Romano to be on the dvd. So we have to run on Romano's time, not ours. Extra again delayed the release. also this myth of several new scenes that fans claim to have seen, Romano is baffled over these scenes, so it needs to cleared up to the dvd customers.

THE REDEEMER is a lost cause. all prints I paid tons of money is worthless. The print we played on Los Angeles was so badly damaged it was unwatchble. As for the three prints I played in seattle, one was okay but the heads/tail of each reel has been a victim of the platter system. All prints is missing few seconds on the heads/tail of each reel. Only way to fix THE REDEEMER is spend more money than Criterion did on SEVEN SAMURAI restoration and use vhs footage on the heads and tail of each reels. Film will still look bad because 16x9 a vhs scene will look bad.

8. rhett

rhett Administrator

Thanks for the updates, Bill. Still a bummer about THE REDEEMER, but I'm sure all us fans would be more than happy with VHS additions if that's the only way we're going to see them. Better that than nothing at all. Good to hear that NIGHTMARE will be getting the extras it deserves.

Any updates on SPASMS?

9. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

SPASMS is on hold till some of the rights issue and also music rights is cleared up. Also the only surviving print's reel 5 is damaged and unable to be fixed. Rest of the reels is in good condition but I hate to see the last 20 mintes turn into vhs and Tangerine Dream end credit music to be replaced. more problem with these old horror films as usual.

we will be releasing Fruet's TRAPPED (aka BAKER COUNTY USA) real soon hopefully. The master is done, and it''s on hold due to extras for we are trying to get some of the actors in the film for a interview as well as Fruet.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

That Tangerine Dream track rules, the film can't be without that! Thanks for all the work though, hopefully it comes through. Nice news on TRAPPED, I didn't even know you were handling that as well. Gives us Canadians something to excite about.

11. CUBANmix

CUBANmix Guest

youve played prints?? come on bill show miami some love! id pay 50.00 to catch the redeemer on the big screen!!

12. Mutilated Prey

Wow, all these updates are great - thanks Bill! Glad I held onto my VHS big box copy of Class Reunion Massacre.

13. HAEMORRHAGE

Thanks Bill for the updates, it's much appreciated!

14. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I may be in the minority here, but in a way, I think that the lesser quality print actually HELPS The Redeemer. When I first watched it (the original huge VHS box from Continental), the whole thing was just so spooky and surreal, it almost didn't even feel like a real movie. It felt like some kind of low-key snuff production by a group of crazed madmen or something, and I think part of that is how lackluster the original VHS transfer was. Now yes, cinematically, of course I think it'd be great if the print could be restored to pristine condition...but for certain films, I think a little age on the print can work to its benefit. It's sort of why some movies nowadays are trying to look more grungy and 70s-like. It's why the films and trailers in Grindhouse had so much added print damage, scratches, and speckles. There's just something charming about seeing a film from this era with all its wear and tear in tact. This is also why I'm not in a huge rush to watch something like the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre in Blu-Ray.

As long as I got to see a widescreen print of The Redeemer, in the most complete version possible, with a few added extra features, I would be perfectly happy. You could always add a banner on the DVD saying that it has been "presented in drive-in-vision!" or something like that, to help explain the print quality. :)

15. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Any update on Teenage Hitchhikers?

16. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I would just like to say that I appreciate the time Bill Norton takes to not only make these obscure genre films available to us, but also take the time to address our questions in an honest manner. I've emailed Code Red a couple of times, and Bill is always courteous. Lovely guy.

I will admit that some of the films released by Code Red are deservedly obscure in my eyes (the amateurish The Forest and the surprisingly flat Devil Times Five), but others (The Unseen, Sole Survivor) are minor masterpieces of the genre that any connoisseur should aquaint herself with.

It's too bad about The Redeemer, I would really have loved to see that, but I'm glad there's still Silent Scream, Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker, and, hopefully, The Mutilator to look forward to.

17. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Although I really want Butcher, Baker, a barebones release would depress the hell out of me. Definitely keep it locked up until the extras are finished CR.
    Lots of titles are killing me in waiting, but I understand about the extras thing, and if you release it barebones, people will say "oh, they've turned into Anchor Bay now".

Like, it's really getting tiring when I read comments on your blog or in 10 forums saying the same crap. Well, dumb "run-em-out-of-town" stuff on the blog, and complete whiners on forums. That's not a comment directed at horrordvds, just other forums I've seen where people are so impatient. Yes, we have to wait. But it's coming out! If it wasn't for CR, no one would have it to begin with. So these people need to pipe down and take a breather.

Horror fans - can't live with them, can't live without them. :D

18. Korngold

Korngold New Member

Agreed. Thank you Bill.

19. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

so, this never happened, huh? just watched it for the first time tonight. no gem, but it definitely had that certain code red charm. i would have picked it up if it ever happened.

20. Mutilated Prey

We speak too soon here?

I dunno what the hell is happening here. Been quiet for too long even though apparently it's been tied up in court this whole time.