Return of Godzilla is amazing

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by fceurich39, Dec 25, 2008.

1. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i recently purchased this on ioffer dvd-r with cover art and it is amazing the picture and sound quality is topnotch and it blows away the american version and i love the american version anyone else think so?

i sure hope classic media or someone releases both versions on region 1 dvd one day

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

due to a rights issue, I wouldn't hold my breath. Also you are right, the Japanese version is a far better film.

3. fceurich39

yeah too bad anchor bay didn't release it on dvd but they would of just had the US version though

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Unless I am mistaken you are referring to Gigantis (Godzilla Raids again) which has been released on a region 1 disc. It is a two disc set with disc one being the Japanese version and disc 2 the American.

5. zombiecraig

zombiecraig New Member

No, they're referring to the movie that was released in the U.S. as Godzilla 1985.

6. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

I know I'm in the minority here (especially among hardcore G-fans), but I actually prefer Godzilla 1985. It's got a quicker pace, more humor, less FX clinkers, and a more aggressive Big G. The Return of Godzilla is ponderous, talky, and moves like molasses.

7. fceurich39

i love both versions equally i wish an official release would happen it would be perfect if classic media got the rights to this but that probably won't happen and it is a shame anchor bay released godzilla 1985 on vhs and not dvd

8. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Coune me in as another that loves both versions. There's just something about this Big G flick that I absolutely love, although it's probably just the fact that I wore out my VHS tape as a kid after watching it a bazillion times in the 80's. I really enjoy the Japanese version, but I'm so used to the U.S. version that it might be the one I prefer. I'd KILL for a 2-disc set with both versions.

9. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

The first Godzilla movie I ever saw was 1985. I was a HUGE dinosaur fan as a kid and my dad suggested I check out Godzilla, so we went to the video rental place (only one in town at the time, I believe) and grabbed that. I still love it to this day, but haven't seen the American version in quite a long time.

One thing I wanted to add is that I've ALWAYS loved this flick's score. It's definitely my favorite non-Ifukube score in the series, but it's also one of my favorite movie scores in general.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Is that the one with time travel to the island of Godzilla's birth during WW2? I've got the AB VHS but haven't watched it in awhile. I remember it being one of the better entries, but better than the original? I don't think so.

I'm a big fan of the old school mad science which the original Japanese Godzilla had, so maybe I'm bias.

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

^ No, you're thinking of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah from '93. Godzilla 1985 was basically a remake of the original film. And it does have one of my favorite film scores of all-time.

12. fceurich39

just seen this
    via press release:

KRAKEN RELEASING LICENSES “RETURN OF GODZILLA®”

May 19, 2016 – You can’t keep a good giant monster down, especially when he’s being very, very bad! Kraken Releasing is proud to continue the tradition of releasing the very best in kaiju (giant monster) entertainment with the first U.S. release of the complete and uncut THE RETURN OF GODZILLA® (aka GODZILLA™ (1984))! Available on both Blu-ray and DVD, and featuring both the original Japanese version with English subtitles, as well as an English dubbed version, this special release is the Godzilla® epic that fans and collectors have been waiting for.

With a higher budget and more advanced special effects than any previous film in the series, THE RETURN OF GODZILLA® returns Japan’s greatest monster to his intended role as an epic force of destruction and the film’s spectacular success re-launched the Godzilla® franchise after nearly a decade in suspended animation. Unfortunately for North American audiences, this direct sequel to the original 1954 feature film has previously only been available in a highly edited version that cut over twenty minutes of original footage and effects, changed key plot points and altered the dark dramatic tone and narrative by inserting additional scenes and humor in an attempt to “Americanize” the film. But now, at long last, the acclaimed kaiju masterpiece finally hits American shores in all its uncut original glory! Get ready for the biggest Godzilla® epic that you’ve never seen as Kraken Releasing unleashes the complete and unedited THE RETURN OF GODZILLA®!

THE RETURN OF GODZILLA® will be released on September 13th.

About Kraken Releasing: KRAKEN RELEASING is a new international video distribution label specializing in Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror genre entertainment for mainstream audiences. Together with sister labels MAIDEN JAPAN (DEN-NOH COIL, PAT LABOR, ROYAL SPACE FORCE) and SWITCHBLADE PICTURES (CORPSE PARTY, IRON GIRL 1& 2, ATTACK GIRLS SWIM TEAM VS. THE UNDEAD) Kraken’s goal is to bring the best filmed entertainment from around the world to our customers.

About Section23 Films:
    Section23 Films provides home video marketing and distribution services for a variety of companies, including Sentai Filmworks, Switchblade Pictures, Maiden Japan and AEsir Holdings. With its special focus on genre entertainment, Section23 Films distributes some of the very best anime, martial arts, and horror titles on the market toda

othervoice1 and Harry Warden like this.
  13. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

It's too bad that G'85 won't be included. Regardless, it's about time this movie gets a legit digital video release here in the US!

othervoice1 and fceurich39 like this.
  14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

fceurich39 likes this.
  15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

YES, YES, YES...Oh this will be mine..yes, it will be mine. Finally.

fceurich39 likes this.
  16. fceurich39

17. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I grew watching my VHS of the US cut non stop. It's not one of my absolute favorites of the Heisei series but I find it more entertaining than Biollante, Mechagodzilla II and SpaceGodzilla.

Definitely ordering the blu.

Harry Warden likes this.
  18. Harry Warden

Me too. $9.99 - great price for the Blu too.

19. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I've collected the previous Kraken releasing Godzilla titles and pretty much love them all.
    In for this one for sure.

20. Harry Warden